Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catholic hypocrisy: Repub death penalty judges good, Dem pro-choicers bad

Thumbs down Catholic hypocrisy: Repub death penalty judges good, Dem pro-choicers bad

Meet Texas Judge Sharon Keller:

Judge Keller, 55, has always kept her own counsel; her colleagues at the court have given her the nickname Mother Superior because of her reserved and diligent demeanor and her devout Roman Catholic faith.

So, how does a devout Roman Catholic judge in Texas operate:

In 1998, Judge Keller wrote the opinion rejecting a new trial for Roy Criner, a mentally retarded man convicted of rape and murder, even though DNA tests after his trial showed that it was not his semen in the victim.

“We can’t give new trials to everyone who establishes, after conviction, that they might be innocent,” she later told the television news program “Frontline.” “We would have no finality in the criminal justice system, and finality is important.”

Now, that's very Catholic. I don't purport to be a religious scholar, but I have a hard time thinking Jesus would share that view. Judge Keller is currently on trial for judicial misconduct:

Seventeen months ago, lawyers for a man facing execution sought extra time to file a last-minute appeal. Judge Keller refused to delay the closing of her clerk’s office past 5 p.m., even though late filings are common on the day of a scheduled execution. The man, Michael Richard, was put to death by lethal injection a few hours later.

So, here's the question? Where's the outrage from the Catholic hierarchy? Has Judge Keller been denied communion? Has the Catholic version of Rush Limbaugh, the racist, homophobic Bill Donohue, been bloviating about Keller? Of course not. The hypocrisy in the church is rampant. Can't criticize Keller. She's a Republican.

Instead, the Catholics have been aiming their fire at Kathleen Sebelius, who will be the next Secretary of Health and Human Services. The bigot Donohue, who basically has an organization of one person and a fax machine, led the charge, along with one of those whack job, Communion-denying bishops in Kansas.

If the church isn't going to attack Keller, it shouldn't attack Sebelius. But, consistency and intellectual honesty aren't hallmarks of the Catholic hierarchy.

See, if it's not about abortion or gay bashing, the leaders of the Catholic Church keep quiet. There is almost no such thing as Catholic criticism of Republicans. (That might make the real leader of the Catholic Church in the U.S., Bill Donohue, mad. )

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    *rubs his temples* religion is teh stoopit
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Oh lord....she is my boss. Going to go into a meeting with her within the hour.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Give her a swift kick in her shrivelled catholic sniz for me.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Give her a swift kick in her shrivelled catholic sniz for me.
    Will do. She probably has fish on Fridays during Lent while fantasizing about her next execution.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

WHO ELSE IS ELATED W/ OBAMA ALLOWING FEDERAL FUNDING OF STEM-CELL RESEARCH NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

out of the dark ages is right! he's such an intelligent decent person....refreshing

In 1998, Judge Keller wrote the opinion rejecting a new trial for Roy Criner, a mentally retarded man convicted of rape and murder, even though DNA tests after his trial showed that it was not his semen in the victim.

“We can’t give new trials to everyone who establishes, after conviction, that they might be innocent,” she later told the television news program “Frontline.” “We would have no finality in the criminal justice system, and finality is important.”
    Good grief. I'd be willing to bet she'll cause the death of some innocent person if she hasn't already.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    WHO ELSE IS ELATED W/ OBAMA ALLOWING FEDERAL FUNDING OF STEM-CELL RESEARCH NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

out of the dark ages is right! he's such an intelligent decent person....refreshing
    Me me me me me !

About fucking time.

Isn't it weird someone being in there..that can put together a sentence?

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

I'll never forget the immediate relief I felt the nite obama was elected.....

Another judge apparently made a public statement about the unethical abuses of power Judge Kellar practiced on a normal basis and filed a complaint..

Burnt Orange Report:: They've taken the courthouse away from folks

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/25/us/25execute.html

Judge Sharon Keller Charged With Five Ethics Violations « JONATHAN TURLEY

and there's a whole website dedicated to removing her from the bench
    http://sharonkiller.com/

I just find it funny that people like ass-backwards Keller are the power-crazy head honchos in Austin where I meet respectful, openminded individuals every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    I just find it funny that people like ass-backwards Keller are the power-crazy head honchos in Austin where I meet respectful, openminded individuals every day.
    Not so strange....she and all the Court of Criminal Appeals judges are the same level as the state supreme court, and thus, are elected in a statewide election. Austin of course, is the capital, where the court is located. All of the enlightened Austin voters can't outvote the numbnuts in the rest of the state. It's funny, all of the statewide elected officials are Republicans, and they have to work in Austin, where nearly all of their employees are liberal! I don't think you'll ever see G.W. Bush back in Austin hanging out....

Abortion and the death penalty are seperate issues.
    ""Somebody needs to talk to Alex Castellanos: he may not be doing sex right if he thinks an Obama speech is 'like sex'."~ Rush Limbaugh

^^not if you claim to see all life as sacred, they're not......

i thought ending life was ending life, now there are suddenly caveats? LOL

The difference is the type of life being ended. Abortion is ending an innocent life , while death penalty is removing someone guilty of commiting horrible crimes against others. That is why they are measured differently.
    ""Somebody needs to talk to Alex Castellanos: he may not be doing sex right if he thinks an Obama speech is 'like sex'."~ Rush Limbaugh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information