Thread: Democrats pushing Howard Dean for Surgeon General

Default Democrats pushing Howard Dean for Surgeon General

WASHINGTON (CNN) With Dr. Sanjay Gupta taking himself out of the mix as President Obama's choice for Surgeon General, CNN has learned that the name of former Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean has now emerged as a possible pick for the high-profile post.
    Senior Democratic officials say that Dean, a medical doctor and former Vermont governor who championed health reform, has privately made clear that he is interested in the post. Dean had publicly expressed interest in serving as secretary of Health and Human Services but lost out, and many Democrats believe he was blocked because of a feud he had with White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel back in the 2006 election cycle.
    But two White House officials told CNN that while it's too early to compile an official list of candidates for Surgeon General, they believe that it's possible for Dean to get the job. "I would not dismiss it," one of the White House officials said of the possibility that Dean will be selected.

One Democratic strategist close to Dean made clear the former DNC chair would take the position if it is offered. "He'll do whatever the President would like him to do," said the strategist. "He's certainly well-suited and well-qualified for that job. It would certainly shut up a lot of Dean supporters."
    But another source close to Dean said nobody at the White House has contacted him about the job and noted that the former governor has previously indicated hes not interested in this particular position.
    Supporters of Dean believe he should get some kind of reward for presiding over the Democratic party in which they scored major electoral gains in the 2006 and 2008 election cycles. But Dean famously clashed with Emanuel in 2006, who was serving as the chairman of the House Democrats' campaign arm at the time, over where to spend scarce campaign cash in the final days of the campaign in which Democrats ended up taking control of Congress.
    People close to Dean and Emanuel, however, insist the two men have since patched up their differences and recently had lunch together. Those sources also noted that in recent months Emanuel reached out and offered Dean a lower-level health-related job in the administration that was turned down.
    Democrats pushing Dean for Surgeon General
    I knew there had to be a reason why it seemed like Dean's been getting the cold shoulder. Bad blood with Rahm.

But they should give Dean a Cabinet post, and he would probably make a good SG.

Elite Member

I love Howard Dean. I came to admire him back in the 2004 election cycle. He did so much to expand healthcare to his state when he was governor of Vermont, and he really understands public health issues from both the big picture and the individual perspective.

I also admire him because he was fiscally conservative while being socially progressive.

And his grasp of the importance of grassroots support and the 50-state strategy paved the way for Obama. People gave him so much shit when he said that the Dem party had to be the party of the guys with the Confederate flag and the gun rack on the backs of their trucks, but he was right about that.

Maybe he's an asshole to deal with, or something? I don't know. I have always found so much to admire in him.

Elite Member

I like Dean too, but I suspect he is not much of a team player. He could be good as SG.

Thread Information