Thread: Mormons now blaming the Catholic church for their own Prop 8 bigotry.. lolwut?

Question Mormons now blaming the Catholic church for their own Prop 8 bigotry.. lolwut?

Say what you will about them, but the Mormons have their ant-gay talking points down in California and Illinois and Maine. I got this email from an AMERICAblog reader who was visited by Mormon missionaries recently. Seems like all the Mormons have been schooled on how to respond to Prop 8 questions -- and laying blame on the Catholics is part of the Mormon spin:

Last week, two young women knocked on my door to talk with me about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Mind you, I live on the Portland peninsula in one of the most liberal neighborhoods, probably, in the country. I think our precinct voted close to 95% for Obama. So, it’s interesting to me that these two women were even venturing into this area.

They started out with their typical rhetoric asking about my beliefs. I told them I was Catholic. In the past, that’s been enough to get them to move on. But, not this time. When they finally paused from their script, it was my turn. I told them that, while I respect their right to their beliefs, I would never support the Mormon Church because of its stand on gay rights and its actions in California. The younger woman immediately responded “the Catholics supported that, too.” I told them I disagreed vehemently with the Catholic Church as well and explained that this issue is critically important and deeply personal so there was no way I would ever support their church. They persisted, telling me that, like most religions, I don’t have to agree with the Mormon Church on all issues. They said that a lot of people supported the repeal of Prop 8, including the Catholic Church.

Clearly, they’re ready to respond to concerns about the Mormons’ support of Prop 8 and aren’t backing down when the issue is raised. After all that, they still left a card in case I want to get more information on their church.

They're persistent.

Back in 2005, when I worked on the campaign to prevent the repeal of adding sexual orientation and gender identity to Maine's Human Rights law, we couldn't even send volunteers to knock doors in this same very liberal neighbhorhood, unless the household had already been identified as supporters. Yet, the Mormons send people into that same neighborhood who are unabashed about the anti-gay views of their church. That's chutzpah. But, it shows how determined and aggressive the Mormons are.

Bashing gays and blaming Catholics. That's quite a combo.

And, what a coincidence: The Maine Legislature is considering a marriage equality bill. So, are those Mormons really in Maine to do missionary work or are they there to do political work? Someone needs to find out if the church is undertaking political activity in Maine and possibly violating its tax-exempt status. Don't forget, the leaders of the Mormon Church lied repeatedly about all of their activity in California. That church needs to be monitored vigilantly because they don't miss a chance to gay bash.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    See, if religious fuckjobs would just leave gays alone, there wouldn't be a problem. All gays want is the same rights, and then to be left alone. That's it.

Nobody ever had their own marriage dissolve because gays got married.

No society has fallen apart because gays got married.

The world has not ended because gays get married.

If you don't believe in gay marriage, then don't get gay married. It's not your position to tell others what they can and cannot do. Worry about your own lives.

In short, piss off.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I told them I disagreed vehemently with the Catholic Church as well and explained that this issue is critically important and deeply personal so there was no way I would ever support their church. They persisted, telling me that, like most religions, I donít have to agree with the Mormon Church on all issues. They said that a lot of people supported the repeal of Prop 8, including the Catholic Church.
    This sounds to me like Mormons trying to say they're not different from any other Christian church, trying to preach that they are mainstream (when, in fact, they're not).
    And, what a coincidence: The Maine Legislature is considering a marriage equality bill. So, are those Mormons really in Maine to do missionary work or are they there to do political work? Someone needs to find out if the church is undertaking political activity in Maine and possibly violating its tax-exempt status.
    I have no idea how far in advance they choose the areas they send missionaries to, but in the US, the missionaries usually stay at other Mormons' homes during their mission. So, there likely is some sort of Mormon ward/stakehouse (church) in the area. The conversation sounds like a coincidence, but doesn't really matter. Mormons want to convert the whole world, every nook and cranny - including Maine and all its remoteness.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Blech. Religion is such a plague.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I'm surprised it was two female missionaries. Usually women in the Mormon church have to get married, have kids and wait for them to finish growing up before they're allowed to go out on a mission.

who let them out of the brood chamber?

Perhaps they were sterile? If that was the case, they should have been tending to the other Queens who are too swollen and gravid with young to take care of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I'm surprised it was two female missionaries. Usually women in the Mormon church have to get married, have kids and wait for them to finish growing up before they're allowed to go out on a mission.
    That's me-I never have heard or seen any women ones at all.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^Unless they're in their 60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Perhaps they were sterile?
    Naw, just ugly Less marriageable.

Males are expected and pressured to go on missions, and go when they are 19 and stay out for two years.

Females are not encouraged to go, but they are allowed. They have to wait til they're 21 though- by that time they are old maids anyway. And they stay out for only 18 months so as not to take away TOO much potential baby-making time.

As far as pushing one's lifestyle on another, last time I checked, there ain't never been no gays going door-to-door to teach me "the way."

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    If you aren't married by a certain age as a Mormon woman, I believe you're expected to go on a mission. Of course, we're talking like 24 or 25 years old. Some also just want to do it.

ETA: Oops, just saw Ravenna's post. Yeah, she's right. It's like 21+. And you can't go on a mission if you're already married.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

The mormons are just terrified that some gay guys will get a hold of their women and bitchslap some fashion sense into them.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    As far as pushing one's lifestyle on another, last time I checked, there ain't never been no gays going door-to-door to teach me "the way."
    Yes,and there is the real pity. I would love it! They could say "That lamp should have been retired right around the death of J Edgar Hoover" and "My lawd-is THAT what you wear around the house??" and,in general help out. We could spend hours pouring over paint samples & they would offer thoughtful suggestions as to exactly where I was going wrong in the kitchen. Maybe even hair & make-up! I really hope this catches on.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Best part about my gay friends is they will absolutely say...'You cannot leave the house in that outfit. It makes your X look fat'.

Door to door gays. I would totally invite them in for drinks.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

They would already be making drinks, and your place would be cleaner after they left than before they arrived.

Thread Information