Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Study says Sarah Palin's good looks worked against her

Wink Study says Sarah Palin's good looks worked against her

New study suggests hot Sarah Palin should dowdy-down for 2012 | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times

Newly-released academic research suggests that Sarah Palin's sexiness, while great for selling copies of Vogue magazine and political buttons about the hottest governor from the coldest state last fall, may actually have hurt her vote-getting ability, which seems to be what elections are about.
    Of course, standing next to John McCain is bound to make pretty much anyone look pretty much prettier. Which may be one reason the crowds often chanted "Sar-RAH! Sa-RAH!" when the Republican governor and Republican senator appeared together as the GOP presidential ticket.

According to an article by Tom Jacobs on the website of Santa Barbara's Miller-McCune Center, recently completed research at the University of South Florida indicates that at least among a select group of students there, those who found the hockey mom more attractive also judged her less competent, less intelligent and less capable.
    This didn't seem to have much impact in Palin's 2006 primary upset victory and statewide election as the largest state's first female governor.
    But the finding, being published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, does conform with previous research that found attractive women in high-status jobs were perceived as less competent.
    Both outcomes would seem to strongly indicate there's more to the glass ceiling for females than the actual glass. No news to them.
    According to Nathan Heflick, a psychologist and one of the research authors, it wasn't Palin's appearance per se that turned off the research subjects.
    "It was the effect her appearance had on their perception of her competence and humanity," Heflick said. "Those variables made people less likely to vote for her."
    All of which would seem to suggest that for any hope of success in 2012 or beyond, the 45-year-old governor needs to whack off that hair, pork up a bit and get some cheap, baggy pantsuits over at the Wasilla Wal-mart. And instead of that come-on wink that many thought they liked, she'd do well to develop an uncontrollable facial twitch.
    Also lose the kids, stop smiling, get angrier, so she can look more congressional. That's been working real well for Republicans the last two elections.
    For olde time's sake, we've thrown in a video down below of Palin addressing a crowd that seems to like her the way she is.
    -- Andrew Malcolm

Elite Member

Sure, she's attractive for a politician, but for a mid-40's woman she's not that hot. It's the crazy eyes that mess it up. But for scores of middle-aged men with overweight frumpy wives, she must've been a wet dream.

So her stupidity had nothing to do w/ her being an embarrassment?

Excuses. Suck it up and shut the fuck up.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Sure, she's attractive for a politician, but for a mid-40's woman she's not that hot. It's the crazy eyes that mess it up. But for scores of middle-aged men with overweight frumpy wives, she must've been a wet dream.
    I think she seems to weigh about 20-30 pounds less than a lot of the 40+ women I know - like size 7, instead of the national average size 12. That, in and of itself, does not make someone attractive, but there are a lot of people who value it ("you can't be too rich or too thin").

I think she has an attractive face. However, I always got the feeling she was overly done up. Her hair is swept up in a bunch of different directions, like some kind of swirly dessert. Her glasses seem a little ostentatious to me -- like she's saying, "here I am, wearing glasses!" Her outfits seemed a little to ornate and bulky.

I thought she would have looked a lot better with a more simplified look.

Yeah. Hot.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Definitely hotter than the one on the left. However, the pink tutu worn over the brown corduroys isn't helping.

she looks like a retarded Rainbow Brite nightmare.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

she is not good looking.

Elite Member

She looks like a cartoon character! Face like a pan and googly vacant eyes like Minnie Mouse. How is that remotely attractive outside a Kids R Us?

The only reason why Palin's looks worked against her was because she was an idiot. And nobody wants another bimbo to be VP. We already had a male bimbo as VP with Dan Quayle.

Elite Member

Default re

There are lots of scientific studies out there regarding how one's looks, height, apparel, etc. affect how one is perceived. Plus, most of us have our own anecdotal experience.

As far as SP goes, for several years I've thought that our first female president (and perhaps VP) is likely to be a Repub, because the thought of a female pres is radical enough for some people and a GOP female might seem "safer." I don't know if that's true.

In most countries that have elected female leaders, they've been older, and not particularly attractive. I've wondered if some people might subconsciously feel safer with a postmenopausal woman (no danger of pressing the button while on the rag) or someone with a maternal rather than just a fuckable vibe. Maybe some of that is true for SP.

But as for thinking that she's less competent or intelligent because she's hot? I don't know, I think that probably has a lot more to do with the millions of people who watched her interviews with Charley Gibbons or whatever the hell is name is, or saw her winking at the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    In most countries that have elected female leaders, they've been older, and not particularly attractive. I've wondered if some people might subconsciously feel safer with a postmenopausal woman (no danger of pressing the button while on the rag) or someone with a maternal rather than just a fuckable vibe. Maybe some of that is true for SP.
    I agree that the older less-babe-like female world leaders probably seemed like safer bets. You have Golda Meir, Margaret Thatcher, Indira Gandhi, who were well-past their nubile years, but had large, devoted followings. I'm trying to remember a female world leader who looked f*ckable. Maybe Benazir Bhutto, when she was the prime minister of Pakistan. And we all know how well that turned out (thrown out of office, not the assasination).

People want older male leaders too - age implies experience. I prefer an older female leader for that reason but also because she's most likely finished with child rearing and therefore can focus fully on leading. Who wants a parttime leader or one whose family life is sacrificed for the sake of her career?

This is BS. Once it became apparent how dumb and incompetent this woman is, her only support came from those who liked her looks and/or her nutty religious ideas. If she had been ugly as well as stupid, she would not have even registered on the national radar. IMO, she is a well-preserved middle-aged woman, but not nearly as attractive as people try to make her out to be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information