Thread: Russian scholar says US will collapse — next year

Default Russian scholar says US will collapse — next year

Russian scholar says US will collapse — next year
    MOSCOW – If you're inclined to believe Igor Panarin, and the Kremlin wouldn't mind if you did, then President Barack Obama will order martial law this year, the U.S. will split into six rump-states before 2011, and Russia and China will become the backbones of a new world order.
    Panarin might be easy to ignore but for the fact that he is a dean at the Foreign Ministry's school for future diplomats and a regular on Russia's state-guided TV channels. And his predictions fit into the anti-American story line of the Kremlin leadership.
    "There is a high probability that the collapse of the United States will occur by 2010," Panarin told dozens of students, professors and diplomats Tuesday at the Diplomatic Academy — a lecture the ministry pointedly invited The Associated Press and other foreign media to attend.
    The prediction from Panarin, a former spokesman for Russia's Federal Space Agency and reportedly an ex-KGB analyst, meshes with the negative view of the U.S. that has been flowing from the Kremlin in recent years, in particular from Vladimir Putin.
    Putin, the former president who is now prime minister, has likened the United States to Nazi Germany's Third Reich and blames Washington for the global financial crisis that has pounded the Russian economy.
    Panarin didn't give many specifics on what underlies his analysis, mostly citing newspapers, magazines and other open sources.
    He also noted he had been predicting the demise of the world's wealthiest country for more than a decade now.
    But he said the recent economic turmoil in the U.S. and other "social and cultural phenomena" led him to nail down a specific timeframe for "The End" — when the United States will break up into six autonomous regions and Alaska will revert to Russian control.
    Panarin argued that Americans are in moral decline, saying their great psychological stress is evident from school shootings, the size of the prison population and the number of gay men.
    Turning to economic woes, he cited the slide in major stock indexes, the decline in U.S. gross domestic product and Washington's bailout of banking giant Citigroup as evidence that American dominance of global markets has collapsed.
    "I was there recently and things are far from good," he said. "What's happened is the collapse of the American dream."
    Panarin insisted he didn't wish for a U.S. collapse, but he predicted Russia and China would emerge from the economic turmoil stronger and said the two nations should work together, even to create a new currency to replace the U.S. dollar.
    Asked for comment on how the Foreign Ministry views Panarin's theories, a spokesman said all questions had to be submitted in writing and no answers were likely before Wednesday.
    It wasn't clear how persuasive the 20-minute lecture was. One instructor asked Panarin whether his predictions more accurately describe Russia, which is undergoing its worst economic crisis in a decade as well as a demographic collapse that has led some scholars to predict the country's demise.
    Panarin dismissed that idea: "The collapse of Russia will not occur."
    But Alexei Malashenko, a scholar-in-residence at the Carnegie Moscow Center who did not attend the lecture, sided with the skeptical instructor, saying Russia is the country that is on the verge of disintegration.
    "I can't imagine at all how the United States could ever fall apart," Malashenko told the AP.

stress causes gayness? lol
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I suggest they do what that Japanese spy did before WWII. Attend an American football game. He reported back something to the effect of don't attack them-it can't be done,you can't win. Nobody listened. But remember,we have a mix of all countries and when we have a common goal-it can't be stopped.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Russia and China will become the backbones of a new world order.
    Russia couldn't even keep their country together and China makes exploding chairs. Yup, backbone of the new world order.

Although the U.S. better hope China doesn't call in all of the debts we owe them.

China is already the backbone of the coming new world order. Their economy is expected to be the worlds largest in a few years.

In addition to exploding chairs and kids toys made entirely out of lead, China makes money....lots of it......the economy and manufacturing capabilities there are unlike anything the US has had in the past 50 years.

I don't think America will collapse- but it won't be the power it is now. It's very American thinking to dismiss these other nations.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    China is already the backbone of the coming new world order. Their economy is expected to be the worlds largest in a few years.

In addition to exploding chairs and kids toys made entirely out of lead, China makes money....lots of it......the economy and manufacturing capabilities there are unlike anything the US has had in the past 50 years.

I don't think America will collapse- but it won't be the power it is now. It's very American thinking to dismiss these other nations.
    China has its own huge problems. Luckily, they aren't big enough right now to stop them from buying U.S. securities. However, they have a growing unemployed labor force, that they worry might start rioting. Their competitiveness in the world market is based on maintaining a cheap and plentiful labor force -- which is not only not in inexhaustive supply in China, but was also losing ground to less-expensive Asian rim nations right before the world economic collapse. They also have huge drought and deforestation problems in the north. They have regular factory brownouts and other natural resource issues, which is why they have tried to lock in long-term energy contracts with other countries. Their ability to be the backbone of the next-gen world economy is about as valid as the vaunted novel concept of the Japanese keiretsu about 15 years ago.

I disagree somewhat. I have done business with and travelled extensively to China for the past 15 years. They are already part of the backbone, # 3 or 4 GDP depending on who's chart you look at.

But I'll clarify, because I didn't mean they would be the entire backbone. But they're a major, major part. Even if they don't become #1.

Yes, they have many problems. What nation does not? I don't disagree with you there. Good points all.

The workforce is still there, but the industrialization is moving westward, into huge undeveloped areas of the country, to take advantage of labor there. Peasant country. Entire cities are being built in areas that were completely rural just a couple of years ago. Rails are constructed, ports built, roads, etc. Up until very recently, all of the output came come from relatively few cities. That's rapidly changing.

Yes, there are other Asian nations with cheaper capabilities. But like the good capitalists they are the Chinese make this work for them as well. Many, many of the factories in less expensive Asian nations are Chinese owned. They own factories all over Central America, and Eastern Europe, and Africa is the new area that they are opening up for factories. The Chinese know how to exploit cheap labor as well as any other imperialists.

I do business with companies in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Guangdong, but they are also making goods in the Phillipines, Vietnam, Cambodia, Guatemala, Honduras, Belarus, Mexico.

They have an enormous growing middle class and upper class that is rarely mentioned. These people are the new China. Investing all over the world. And China is eventually going to grab Taiwan, swallowing that economy for it's own.

And don't forget that if the population riots, they'll quietly kill off a million or so.

And Japan never ruled the world....but they still have the second largest economy in the world for individual nations. Right behind ours. Not too shabby.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; March 4th, 2009 at 02:28 PM.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

As long as Sarah Palin becomes a Russian, I'm fine with this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Elite Member

Russia is dying and nobody cares, not Putin, not the oil moguls, no one. The country can't care for itself and they are letting a deep and important culture die.

There is no chance the US is disintegrating. We still have a fantastic infrastructure (even though the Repubs continually seek to kill it.)

China? Well, since they still indulge in a "floating " currency that isn't calibrated to the world economy, we can't be sure what will happen when their illusion of monetary value explodes.

Good points, olivia. Thank you for those comments.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

fuck off russian scholar.

Thread Information