Thread: Another nominee owes taxes, but will now pay so it's all good

Default Another nominee owes taxes, but will now pay so it's all good

Trade nominee Ron Kirk agrees to pay back taxes

WASHINGTON Ron Kirk, nominated as U.S. Trade Representative in the Obama administration, owes an estimated $10,000 in back taxes from earlier in the decade and has agreed to make his payments, the Senate Finance Committee said Monday.

The committee said the taxes arise from Kirk's handling of speaking fees that he donated to his alma mater, and for his deduction of the full cost of season tickets to the Dallas Mavericks professional basketball team.

The disclosure made the former Dallas mayor the latest in a string of top-level Obama administration appointees found to have underpaid their taxes, following Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner and Tom Daschle, who withdrew as candidate for Health and Human Services secretary. Nancy Killefer, Obama's pick for chief performance officer, also bowed out amid tax problems.

White House spokesman Ben LaBolt said Kirk was working to clear up "a few minor issues" uncovered by the committee and expressed confidence he would be confirmed.

Despite the error, Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, issued a statement calling Kirk "the right person for this job," and said he would attempt to have the nomination moved through the panel quickly.

Kirk routinely gave any speaking fees he earned to Austin College, the committee said, and did not list them on his tax returns.
    Instead, the committee said he should have listed the fees as income, then claimed them as charitable donations. The estimated effect was to reduce Kirk's tax bill by an estimated $5,800, according to the report.

Kirk also deducted more than $17,000 as entertainment expenses for the cost of Mavericks' tickets. The committee said he substantiated about $9,900 of that amount, and will owe about $2,600 in taxes on the balance.

The committee said that last fall, Kirk amended his income tax return for 2006, paying an additional $2,188 in tax and $139 in interest after a notification from the Internal Revenue Service. The return was filed by a paid tax preparer, the panel added.

Trade nominee Ron Kirk agrees to pay back taxes

Apparently, only schmucky private citizens have to pay all the taxes we owe when we owe them. Everyone in Washington gets a few years and a big job before they have to pay.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Yea really, if I'm late for overdue taxes by one day, they'll be on my ass in no time flat. How DO these people get away with bloody murder, not paying taxes for years and years and other crap none of us would get away with.

Well, Bush did decrease funding for the IRS to conduct audits 'n such. So, actually, I don't find this all that surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Well, Bush did decrease funding for the IRS to conduct audits 'n such. So, actually, I don't find this all that surprising.
    Psst!! It's Obama's fault, not the person who was in charge for the last 8 years.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Psst!! It's Obama's fault, not the person who was in charge for the last 8 years.
    No, 1) it's Kirk's fault for not paying his taxes and 2) Obama's vetting team's job to go through his tax statements appropriately.

You misunderstood what I was saying. When Bush decreased the funding for audits and other IRS investigations, it automatically means that there is a decreased likelihood of people being audited and repercussions for not paying their taxes. Simultaneously, there is an increase in those who don't pay all of their taxes. That's all I was saying with my original statement. That I'm not surprised by this happening.

The fault is that of an almost impossible tax system that is so complicated a run of the mill CPA can't understand it. This man was DONATING his speaking fees to a college. He was not running up a tab on hookers or fine dining,no private jets involved here. Give him a break-he was a good mayor here and he will be good there. This quest for perfect men and women is reducing the political world to whoever can hide it the best. Honest people make mistakes. So what?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Another nominee with tax problems? I should just stop paying my taxes and put in for a Cabinet post.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Another nominee with tax problems? I should just stop paying my taxes and put in for a Cabinet post.
    Ha! This is slowly paying off the national debt.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    No, 1) it's Kirk's fault for not paying his taxes and 2) Obama's vetting team's job to go through his tax statements appropriately.

You misunderstood what I was saying. When Bush decreased the funding for audits and other IRS investigations, it automatically means that there is a decreased likelihood of people being audited and repercussions for not paying their taxes. Simultaneously, there is an increase in those who don't pay all of their taxes. That's all I was saying with my original statement. That I'm not surprised by this happening.
    No..I know what I was saying..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Thread Information