Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Babies with HIV are punishment for promiscuity says senator

Default Babies with HIV are punishment for promiscuity says senator

Schultheis: HIV testing for pregnant moms rewards ‘sexual promiscuity’

By Ernest Luning 2/25/09 1:05 PM
    State Sen. Dave Schultheis, a Colorado Springs Republican (Photo/Bob Spencer, The Colorado Independent)

Democrats were outraged Wednesday morning when Republican state Sen. Dave Schultheis said he planned to vote against a bill to require HIV tests for pregnant women because the disease “stems from sexual promiscuity” and he didn’t think the Legislature should “remove the negative consequences that take place from poor behavior and unacceptable behavior.” The Colorado Springs lawmaker then proceeded to cast the lone vote against SB 179, which passed 32-1 and moves on to the House.

“HIV does not just come from sexual promiscuity, it comes from many other things — contaminated blood, for one,” fired back one of the bill’s sponsors, Sen. Lois Tochtrop, after Schultheis spoke on the Senate floor.

“What this bill will do and why it’s so important to test the woman when she is pregnant — if she is HIV-positive, treatment is started immediately to protect the baby, the unborn baby,” the Thornton Democrat, who is also a nurse, said.

Listen to Schultheis and Tochtrop here.

Reaction to Schultheis’ remarks rippled through the Capitol.
    “Sen. Schultheis drew the conclusion that anyone who may have HIV is sexually promiscuous,” said Sen. Jennifer Veiga, a Denver Democrat and the Legislature’s only openly lesbian member. “I find that offensive in the context of this bill and I find it offensive in the context of the gay community.”

“I think [Schultheis] owes the [Legislature] and the public at large an apology,” Veiga said.

She castigated the GOP for staying silent when its legislators make outrageous statements during debates on bills. “Republicans continue to allow comments like this to go unchecked,” she said, referencing statements made Monday when Republican Sen. Scott Renfroe compared homosexuality to murder in a debate over a bill sponsored by Veiga to expand health benefits to same-sex partners of state employees. “They quietly sit by and acquiesce.”

The Colorado Republican Party didn’t return a call seeking comment on Renfroe’s and Schultheis’ remarks.

“They absolutely should call Sen. Schultheis on his comments and the inappropriateness of his comments, as they should have done with Sen. Renfroe two days ago,” Veiga said. “Even Gov. Owens distanced himself and called to task members of his own party” when they go over the line, Veiga said.

Here’s a transcript, prepared by The Colorado Independent, of what Schultheis said:
    Thank you, Madam President. You know, this was a difficult bill for me. I voted yes in committee on it because of discussions surrounding the fact that — well, let me just basically say this, it basically modifies the communicable disease laws and it requires the health care providers to test pregnant women for HIV unless they opt out. And that’s basically, that’s the main part of this bill. I voted yes on it. I was a little bit troubled with my vote and was just wondering what was bothering me. I woke up the next morning — Thursday morning — at 5 a.m. and I wrestled with this bill for another hour from 5 to 6 and finally came to the conclusion I’m going to be a no vote on this. I’m trying to think through what the role of government is here. And I am not convinced that part of the role of government should be to protect individuals from the negative consequences of their actions.

Sexual promiscuity, we know, causes a lot of problems in our state, one of which, obviously, is the contraction of HIV. And we have other programs that deal with the negative consequences — we put up part of our high schools where we allow students maybe 13 years old who put their child in a small daycare center there.

We do things continually to remove the negative consequences that take place from poor behavior and unacceptable behavior, quite frankly, and I don’t think that’s the role of this body.

As a result of that I finally came to the conclusion I would have to be a no vote on this because this stems from sexual promiscuity for the most part, and I just can’t vote on this bill and I wanted to explain to this body why I was going to be a no vote on this.
    Colorado Independent » Schultheis: HIV testing for pregnant moms rewards ‘sexual promiscuity’

UPDATED: State senator: HIV babies are punishment for promiscuous moms

By Wendy Norris 2/25/09 4:25 PM
    State Sen. Dave Schultheis restated his opposition to a bill requiring HIV tests for pregnant women by claiming that infected babies would cause families to “see the negative consequences of that promiscuity.”

The Colorado Springs Republican with a penchant for foot-in-mouth moments tells The Rocky Mountain News in a follow-up story to Wednesday’s Senate floor controversy:
    What I’m hoping is that, yes, that person may have AIDS, have it seriously as a baby and when they grow up, but the mother will begin to feel guilt as a result of that,” he said. “The family will see the negative consequences of that promiscuity and it may make a number of people over the coming years begin to realize that there are negative consequences and maybe they should adjust their behavior.”
    Yes, Schultheis really said he is “hoping” people “have AIDS, have it seriously as a baby …”

Senate Minority Leader Josh Penry told the Rocky that “he’s not going to muzzle his caucus.”
    “People are entitled to their opinions,” the Grand Junction Republican said. “It’s not my job to go around and censure people and tell them what to say.”
    This is the second controversy to erupt on the Senate floor in so many days. Wray Greeley Republican Scott Renfroe drew fire after comparing homosexuality with murder while arguing against a bill that seeks to extend health benefits to same-sex partners of state employees.
    Colorado Independent » UPDATED: State senator: HIV babies are punishment for promiscuous moms
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Elite Member

What? Seriously? No herpes is a punishment for promiscuity and stupidity. What about someone who got AIDS from living in Africa helping people or from birth? I ALMOST hope someone sends THIS douche AIDS in the mail.

Ignorant backwoods neanderthal. The fact that we have political leaders in this country that actually think like this makes me embarrassed to be an American. If these people had it their way we'd all be living in the dark ages.

You knew he was a Republican without even reading the story.

Omg!!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

What a fucking dumbass.

I hope there's a special place in hell for these assholes. I hope they're all together too.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Yes, because punishing promiscuity and judging people is far more important than preventing disease transmission in the first place. Having an aids baby will learn 'em!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Yes, because punishing promiscuity and judging people is far more important than preventing disease transmission in the first place. Having an aids baby will learn 'em!
    OMG!! Punishment from who? God? I don't believe God works like that. Not the one I believe in anyway.

So help me,this jerk is just asking the fates to knock his own family into oblivion in some horrible fashion. Call it an act of God,call it karma but he will not escape unharmed-some way he'll get it back. You just can't discard other human beings like this and escape.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

You knew he was a Republican without even reading the story.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

My foot is just screaming to go up this guy's ass to tickle the back of his throat and make him taste my sweated socked foot. Cunty man.

What a jerk. This man clearly doesn't think of innocent babies who could be spared from contracting the disease. Instead he wants to use them as human shame machines.

This idea is so unbelievably backwards. I hope the senator gets struck by lightening.

WTF! Is this dude stuck in the 80's thinking about AIDS. What progressive thinking on the Repugs part when it comes to punishing an innocent baby that could be born HIV free because there's a slight possibility the mom contracted it by having sex with an infected partner who may be her HUSBAND. No wonder these assholes love Jindal, Palin, and Limpballs - all living in an alternate reality IMO.
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Quote Originally Posted by WesCAdle View Post
    WTF! Is this dude stuck in the 80's thinking about AIDS. What progressive thinking on the Repugs part when it comes to punishing an innocent baby that could be born HIV free because there's a slight possibility the mom contracted it by having sex with an infected partner who may be her HUSBAND. No wonder these assholes love Jindal, Palin, and Limpballs - all living in an alternate reality IMO.
    I think far,far more women are at risk than we even realize.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I'll wager he's in the closet, with the door locked hard. It's always the closet cases who pull out this kind of crazy. Alternatively he knocked up someone when he was young, paid for a back-alley abortion and has been self-flagellating ever since, probably with a cat 'o' nine tails.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information