Thread: War spending tops 350 BILLION

Angry War spending tops 350 BILLION

Imagine what good 350 billion dollars could have been used for if injected into social programs or education in the US. Sickening.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate voted Friday to give President Bush $50 billion more for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and U.S. military efforts against terrorism, money that would push total spending for the operations beyond $350 billion.

In a 97-0 vote, the GOP-controlled Senate signed off on the money as part of a $445 billion military spending bill for the budget year that began October 1. The measure would also put restrictions on the treatment of detainees who are suspected terrorists -- a provision that has drawn a White House veto threat and demonstrated a willingness by Republican lawmakers to challenge Bush.

Passage comes at a time when public support for Bush and the Iraq fighting has slipped, U.S. casualties have climbed and Congress has grown increasingly frustrated with the direction of the conflict.

The Senate bill provides $5 billion more for the wars than the House version. The final bill is expected to include the full $50 billion extra after House-Senate negotiators work out their differences over the coming weeks.

Senators rushed to finish the bill before leaving Friday for a 10-day recess because military officers have informally told them they will need the money by mid-November to continue war operations. The Bush administration has not formally requested more war money, but costs are certain with no end to the Iraq conflict in sight.

Overall, both the Senate and House bills provide for a 3.1 percent pay raise for the military and increased benefits for troops. But the bills differ in other areas.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

*sniffs* A real conservative would not approve such out-of-control spending.

Well real conservatives aren't lording it up in the white house.. it's a bunch of money crazed, fiscally irresponsible fauxmonarchists.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

You're right. I'm just sick of people thinking President Bush is conservative. He may be conservative on social/religious issues, but by no other definition of the word is he a conservative. That was the reason for my snooty little comment.

Everybody loves a little snoot

May this really pisses me off. 350 billion for war? That amount of money should go to social programs like universal healthcare to benefit people, not kill for others. And to think most conservatives get there panties in a twist about taxes, yet they ignore the costs of this illegal war. Pisses me off man.

Quote Originally Posted by miss_perfect
    *sniffs* A real conservative would not approve such out-of-control spending.

True, but true conservatives probably wouldn't have gone into Iraq, pricks flapping around in the desert wind, without a damned exit strategy either!

Oh the damage I could do with 350 BILLION DOLLARS!!!!

WHAT THE F? I need another beer..

i need another martini.
    as a person who takes responsible spending very seriously, i find this appalling. We are in a serious deficit. were the hell is this money coming from?

Really, can anyone answer this?

IF WE ARE IN A BILLION+ DEFICIT, WHERE IS THE MONEY COMING FROM?

If i - my account, the $$ ain't there, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by disruptivehair View Post
    True, but true conservatives probably wouldn't have gone into Iraq, pricks flapping around in the desert wind, without a damned exit strategy either!
    You're absolutely right. Conservatives aren't supposed to nation-build either.

No, they do a pretty good job of letting nations rot from within so they collapse upon themselves in a dustcloud of economic stagnation and social withering.

Oh my, that was rude. Ah well.

*sips beer*

Quote Originally Posted by miss_perfect View Post
    You're absolutely right. Conservatives aren't supposed to nation-build either.

Bingo. I clearly remember Bush accusing the Democrats of nation-building during the 2000 campaign, and he promised he wouldn't do that. Friggin' liar.

What exactly is the opposition to nation building?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    What exactly is the opposition to nation building?
    This is just me, but I support humanitarian relief over reconstruction. I think it should be up to the indigenous people of that nation to build their own nation, but if they need assistance, then I say anyone who can help, should help, but don't try to reconstruct the entire infrastructure.

Ah.

See, that's sorta what Canada does instead of bombing the shit out of places. We help places that have been torn apart by strife rebuild, show them HOW to do it and provide peacekeeping while it goes on.

Thread Information