Thread: Bobby Jindal being ripped for his idiotic volcano comment

Default Bobby Jindal being ripped for his idiotic volcano comment

(CNN) -- Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal's swipe at federal spending to monitor volcanoes has the mayor of one city in the shadow of Mount St. Helens fuming.
    "Does the governor have a volcano in his backyard?" Royce Pollard, the mayor of Vancouver, Washington, said on Wednesday. "We have one that's very active, and it still rumbles and spits and coughs very frequently."
    Jindal singled out a $140 million appropriation for the U.S. Geological Survey as an example of questionable government spending during the GOP response to President Barack Obama's address to Congress Tuesday night.
    The governor, a rising Republican star, questioned why "something called 'volcano monitoring' " was included in the nearly $800 billion economic stimulus bill Obama signed earlier this month.
    "Instead of monitoring volcanoes, what Congress should be monitoring is the eruption of spending in Washington," Jindal said.
    But Marianne Guffanti, a volcano researcher at the U.S. Geological Survey, said, "We don't throw the money down the crater of the volcano and watch it burn up."
    The USGS, which received the money Jindal criticized, is monitoring several active volcanoes across the Pacific Northwest, Alaska and Hawaii. One of those is Mount St. Helens, about 70 miles north of Vancouver, Washington, and neighboring Portland, Oregon.
    The volcano killed 57 people when it erupted in 1980 and sputters back into action periodically, most recently in late 2004 and early 2005, when it sent plumes of steam and ash thousands of feet into the air.
    USGS researchers are also keeping a close eye on Alaska's Mount Redoubt volcano, about 100 miles from Anchorage, which is predicted to go off again within a few months. Its last eruption, in 1989, disrupted air traffic and forced down a commercial jet that sucked ash into its engines.
    "If we can give good information about what's happening, that system of diversions and cancellations all works much more efficiently," Guffanti said. "And fewer people are delayed and standard business is resumed quickly."
    Louisiana is no stranger to natural disasters itself, having been devastated by hurricane Katrina in 2005. But Timmy Teepell, Jindal's chief of staff, said the governor stands by his statement.
    "That was just one example of wasteful spending in the largest government spending bill in history," Teepell said. "The governor made it clear that we need to grow jobs, not government."
    The $140 million line-item for the USGS includes not only monitoring, but also replacement of aging equipment "and other critical deferred maintenance and improvement projects."
    The spending could provide new jobs "no different than the amount of money you would spend on building a street or building a bridge or something," said Danny Boston, an economist at Georgia Tech university in Atlanta, Georgia.
    Pollard, a former Army officer who has served as Vancouver's mayor for 14 years, said USGS equipment used to keep tabs on volcanoes is frequently damaged or destroyed. He said he wasn't sure how many jobs the money could produce, but, "For us and the people who live closer to it than Vancouver, it's important."
    "We lost lives the last time, and we could lose them again," he said.
    Jindal's volcano remark has some fuming
    Jindal is an SNL skit waiting to happen. No wonder he's hiding out in Disneyland now.

Plus, the story he told about the Sheriff and the boats may be a lie, since all records from that time show that Jindal was nowhere near that Sheriff's town at the time of Katrina. And since the Sheriff's dead he can't refute the story.

Oh,thank you Lord. I think he hung himself & will go on to "Mr. Jindals Neighborhood" where he belongs.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

I was thinking of the Brady Bunch volcano.

YouTube - Peter Brady "Erupts" on Marcia and her Friends

Remember Jindall renamed himself Bobby after Bobby Brady.

Dumb ass. In Washington state, there is a lot of concern about when Mt. Rainier will blow again, particularly since there will probably be a huge lahar. There's already evacuation routes with signs posted. It's considered not a matter of "if" but "when." When it goes, it'll be worse than Mt. St. Helens.

Jon Stewart made a comment on his show last night along the lines of "So, Hurricane Katrina taught you that it is not important to be watchful of potential natural disasters?!?"

Remember when Sarah Palin simultaneously proclaimed herself to be an advocate for children with autism, and mocked fruitfly research at the same time? A quick Google search will reveal that fruit fly research has been, and continues to be important in trying to understand….autism. So why did Palin attack that science?

a) She didn’t bother to do any research on it.

b) It sounds funny.

c) Both a and b.

If you picked “c”, you are correct.

Now let’s play again with the NEXT next golden child of the Republican Party - Louisiana Governor, Bobby Jindal.

In his grand debut last night, in front of the nation, as the governor of a state that has suffered mightily from lack of preparedness in the face of natural disaster, and while several hundred thousand Americans (of which I am one) are currently living within sight of a volcano that is “code orange” and has at its base, a Chevron tank farm sitting at its base, right next to Cook Inlet, what does he do?

He mocks government spending on volcano monitoring. Excuse me…he mocks government spending on ”something called ‘volcano monitoring’”. Once again, a quick Google search will reveal what this strange and mysterious ritual that some call “volcano monitoring” is all about. I’m sure the folks at the Alaska Volcano Observatory will be happy to enlighten Governor Jindal. So, why did Jindal attack this science?

a) He didn’t bother to do any research on it.

b) It sounds funny.

c) Both a and b.

Once again, if you answered “c”, you are correct.

Let’s hear what Alaska’s Senators have to say about Jindal’s comments. Hint: They’re gonnan blow!!

First, a letter from Senator Mark Begich (D):

Dear Governor Jindal:

I write to take issue with your comments on national television last night following President Obama’s speech regarding federal spending on volcano monitoring.

Specifically, you listed “volcano monitoring” in a series of projects you consider ”wasteful spending.” Volcano monitoring is a matter of life and death in Alaska. The science of volcano monitoring and the money needed to fund it is incredibly important in our state and could affect the economic well-being of other states and countries because of Alaska’s key role in international commerce.

In December 1989, Alaska’s Mount Redoubt had a serious eruption that caused a Boeing 747 to lose power in all four engines with hundreds of passengers on board. Fortunately, the aircraft was able to restart and land safely, but damage to the airliner exceeded $80 million. Obviously, had the aircraft not been able to restart its engines, the result would have been catastrophic.

Alaska’s largest international airport in Anchorage is one of the world’s busiest cargo airports, with more than 600 wide-body cargo jets delivering millions of dollars of goods between Asia, North America and Europe each week. Any interruption of that traffic by a volcanic eruption could be felt in Tokyo, New York or even Baton Rouge.

Currently, the Alaska Volcano Observatory monitors 31 active Alaskan volcanoes and works closely with other federal , state and municipal agencies to ensure public safety and minimize disruptions. Eruptions often spew curtains of ash miles into the air that impact communities hundreds of miles downwind, causing severe health consequences for our citizens. When there is a significant eruption, those with respiratory challenges must stay indoors.

For Alaska and our country, monitoring volcanoes is important business. The more we know about what might happen, the better our citizens and industries can plan for the potential hazard. Feel free to contact my office so we can provide you with further information regarding this important subject.

Sincerely,
    Mark Begich
    U.S. Senator

Even fellow Republican Lisa Murkowski jumped on Jindal’s comments:

“It is absolutely appropriate for our federal government to spend money on volcano monitoring. A current example is Mount Redoubt. This active volcano, which is on the flight path into Anchorage International Airport, the third busiest cargo airport in the world, and Elmendorf Air Force Base, has been smoldering since the end of January. The Alaska Volcano Observatory has been on 24 hour watch since then.

A volcanic eruption at Mount Redoubt has the potential to bring down a jumbo aircraft flying over Southcentral Alaska. Alaskans vividly remember that volcanic ash from an eruption of Mount Redoubt nearly brought down a KLM Boeing 747 as it was completing its flight from Amsterdam to Anchorage in December 1989. The volcanic ash caused the failure of all four engines on the jumbo jet.

And it’s not just Alaska that’s fuming (pardon the pun). The folks who live in the shadow of Mt. St. Helen’s are not amused.

“Does the governor have a volcano in his backyard?” Royce Pollard, the mayor of Vancouver, Washington, said on Wednesday. “We have one that’s very active, and it still rumbles and spits and coughs very frequently.”

Pollard, a former Army officer who has served as Vancouver’s mayor for 14 years, said USGS equipment used to keep tabs on volcanoes is frequently damaged or destroyed. He said he wasn’t sure how many jobs the money could produce, but, “For us and the people who live closer to it than Vancouver, it’s important.”

“We lost lives the last time, and we could lose them again,” he said.

But Jindal’s office stands firm with their assessment of volcano monitoring calling it “just one example of wasteful spending” in the stimulus bill. His original comments stated that ”Instead of monitoring volcanoes, what Congress should be monitoring is the eruption of spending in Washington.” Like the people who govern in states that actually HAVE volcanoes indicated - not funny. Perhaps Jindal would like to consider cutting all that wasteful spending on hurricane monitoring instead?

Of course not. That’s in his back yard. He’d much rather cut volcano monitoring. All I can say is, “Way to tick off the entire pacific Northwest, and Hawaii, Republicans!” May I suggest for your next trick, you mock corn, tornadoes, sweet tea, fishing, snow, dry heat, golf, the military and orphans? I think that covers everybody.
    The Mudflats » Begich and Murkowski Erupt Over Jindal Gaffe.

If he wrote that speech, he's a fucking idiot. If he just read it off the prompter like the other brainless Re-puppet without even considering what he was saying then he's still a fucking idiot.

Alaska is about to pop btw.. it's got a few more days left and then blammo., Perfect.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

perhaps someone might give the man a tour of Pompeii
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Sacrifice him to Pele.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

But Marianne Guffanti, a volcano researcher at the U.S. Geological Survey, said, "We don't throw the money down the crater of the volcano and watch it burn up."
    lol, srrsly

Thread Information