Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: California mayor sends e-mail with watermelons on White House lawn

Default California mayor sends e-mail with watermelons on White House lawn

The mayor of Los Alamitos is coming under fire for an e-mail he sent out that depicts the White House lawn planted with watermelons, under the title "No Easter egg hunt this year."

Local businesswoman and city volunteer Keyanus Price, who is black, said Tuesday she received the e-mail from Mayor Dean Grose's personal account on Sunday and wants a public apology.

"I have had plenty of my share of chicken and watermelon and all those kinds of jokes," Price told The Associated Press. "I honestly don't even understand where he was coming from, sending this to me. As a black person receiving something like this from the city-freakin'-mayor - come on."

The Orange County Register first reported the e-mail on its Web site Tuesday night.

Grose confirmed to the AP that he sent the e-mail to Price and said he didn't mean to offend her. He said he was unaware of the racial stereotype that black people like watermelons.

He said he and Price are friends and serve together on a community youth board.

"Bottom line is, we laugh at things and I didn't see this in the same light that she did," Grose told the AP. "I'm sorry. It wasn't sent to offend her personally - or anyone - from the standpoint of the African-American race."

Grose, who became mayor in December, said he sent an apology e-mail to Price and her boss and also left her a voicemail apology.

Regardless, Price said it will be difficult for the two to work together.

"Now I am like - wow, is this really how he feels?" Price said.

Los Alamitos is a 2¼-square-mile Orange County city of around 12,000 people. The mayor is elected by fellow members of the five-seat City Council.

White House Watermelon Email From California Mayor Dean Grose Inspires Outrage

He said he was unaware of the racial stereotype that black people like watermelons.
    Here we go again with the 'I didn't know that was racist' defense.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Here we go again with the 'I didn't know that was racist' defense.
    I know--it doesn't even make any sense. What is the point of the picture if you "didn't know" about the black/watermelon stereotype? What did he think the image was supposed to mean?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    I know--it doesn't even make any sense. What is the point of the picture if you "didn't know" about the black/watermelon stereotype? What did he think the image was supposed to mean?
    What I've noticed with a lot of these racist Obama e-mails is that the assholes who do it know that they're going to catch hell, so they just claim ignorance, which is redundant.

Grose confirmed to the AP that he sent the e-mail to Price and said he didn't mean to offend her. He said he was unaware of the racial stereotype that black people like watermelons.

He said he and Price are friends and serve together on a community youth board.

"Bottom line is, we laugh at things and I didn't see this in the same light that she did," Grose told the AP. "I'm sorry. It wasn't sent to offend her personally - or anyone - from the standpoint of the African-American race."

F**K ME TO A HIGH HORSE, yet ANOTHER feigning ignorance. I have discussed this multiple times, closet bigots nowadays have plausible deniability for every damned schtick of theirs.

I didn't know watermelons were offensive, didn't know slanting of eyes meant anything, didn't know this, didn't realize that.

BULL F**KING SHIT. Out of the thousands of different things that could have been substituted for an egg, a watermelon was chosen. Gee willickers, what a bloody coincidence.

F**K. It's getting worse and worse. If it's not the "IF" anyone was offended "apology", now it's "I didn't realize it was offensive."

This guy and Rupert Murdoch flunked the same ethics course.

Grade: F

On some message boards today, I saw some Democrats calling Jindal "Slumdog", which I find offensive.

What I find funny is that they're also calling him by his real name, Piyush Jindal, instead of the good-old-boy nickname "Bobby". Reminds one of the B. Hussein Obama crap, except that Barack didn't try to use a fake name.

Whatever. His defense is obviously a crock of shit.

I read that he was a fan of Bobby Brady. Seriously.

On some message boards today, I saw some Democrats calling Jindal "Slumdog", which I find offensive.

What I find funny is that they're also calling him by his real name, Piyush Jindal, instead of the good-old-boy nickname "Bobby". Reminds one of the B. Hussein Obama crap, except that Barack didn't try to use a fake name.
    Racism doesn't know party lines. I remember some people on the Democratic side making racist comments about Obama last year.

so there are racists on the left as well as the right. i'm not surprised, i've seen that before.

he's a strange man, but i did read somewhere that he's been called bobby since he was a small child (the bobby brady thing). lots of indians and chinese that I went to school with did use 'american' names in public, even though they had other ethnic legal names. it's pretty common in my experience

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I'm just assuming they were Democrats, because they were posting in the Huffington comments, but I could be wrong.

If he didn't know what the watermelons meant, then why would he think it funny enough to email? Who emails a joke they don't get?
    "Just because I walked into a turd supermarket doesn't mean I have to buy anything." - John Oliver

A*O

Is anyone even slightly surprised that Obama is copping all this shit? I seriously worry about his safety with all these redneck wackos out there who aren't even half embarrassed at displaying their bigotry because unfortunately a lot of people agree with them.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

You'd think racist mayor would have used a little discretion in sending out that email.
    And if you're not going to be discreet about your intentions, then just own up to it, don't claim you don't get the joke/understand the implications. Stupid ass.
    People never fail to amaze me.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information