Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarah Palin owes taxes on per diem, state says

Default Sarah Palin owes taxes on per diem, state says

EXPENSES: Governor received meal money while living in Wasilla.

Gov. Sarah Palin must pay income taxes on thousands of dollars in expense money she received while living at her Wasilla home, under a new determination by state officials.

The governor's office wouldn't say this week how much she owes in back taxes for meal money, or whether she intends to continue to receive the per diem allowance. As of December, she was still charging the state for meals and incidentals.

"The amount of taxes owed is a private matter," Sharon Leighow, Palin's spokeswoman, said in an e-mail. "If the governor collects future per diem, those documents would be a matter of public record."

Some other state employees also owe back income taxes for travel payments and will be getting revised tax forms, Annette Kreitzer, state administration commissioner, said in an e-mail.

She wouldn't say which, or how many, employees will be receiving the notifications.

The payments became a touchy issue for Palin last fall when she was running for vice president and campaigned as a budget watchdog.

The Washington Post published a story in mid-September that said she had charged the state almost $17,000 for meals and incidentals while staying in her own home.

The state considers Juneau, where she lives in the Governor's Mansion, to be Palin's official duty station.

Palin billed the state for 312 nights spent in her Wasilla home during her first 19 months in office, according to the Washington Post. She received $60 a day tax free, money intended to cover meals and incidentals, while traveling on state business, her travel forms show.

"Last fall we raised questions about longstanding practices within the Department of Administration regarding tax treatment of per diem payments," Kreitzer wrote in an exchange of e-mails over the past few days with the Daily News.

"At the Governor's request, we reviewed the situation to determine whether we were in full compliance with the pertinent Internal Revenue Service regulations," Kreitzer wrote. "As a result of this review, we determined that per diem needs to be treated as income, requiring a revision of W-2 forms for any affected employees."

The new determination by administration officials won't affect state lawmakers, said Pam Varni, director of the Legislative Affairs agency.

Under IRS guidelines, legislators receive tax-free payments to help with living expenses while in Juneau for the legislative session -- if their home is at least 50 miles away, Varni said.

The current rate, set by the U.S. Department of Defense, is $189 a day. That goes to everyone except the three Juneau-based legislators, who get smaller payments that are taxed as compensation.

Legislators can also charge the state $150 a day for time spent on state business when the Legislature is not in session, but those payments are taxed as income, Varni said.
    Palin owes tax on per diem, state says: Gov. Sarah Palin | adn.com

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Hehehehehee...cough it up...
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

This woman and everything related to her is exhausting.

I wish she'd go away.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmdee View Post
    This woman and everything related to her is exhausting.

I wish she'd go away.
    She is busy hanging herself,even as we speak!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

alot of people who are supposed to be running shit need to learn how to do their fucking taxes ... fucking take 'em to H&R Block you morons!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Palin owes taxes? She should apply for a Cabinet post.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Palin owes taxes? She should apply for a Cabinet post.
    Or even a bail-out.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Or even a bail-out.
    She's got enough kids to qualify for one.

She charges for everything!
    Thursday, February 19, 2009

Governor Palin charged my state for a $60 phone call to FOX News. How did that benefit the state of Alaska again?

The Governor, for instance, charged the state of Alaska a $60 per diem expense for an appearance on Fox News on November 9, 2008. A few weeks later, she billed taxpayers another $60 for a "phone call with Sen. Elizabeth Dole." (Dole had lost her reelection bid weeks earlier). On the 26th of November, Palin again turned in a $60 meal/incidental expense per diem report for "Phone call with Gov. Rendell, interview."

Here is the November report, and here is the December report.

Taken as a whole, these expenses constitute a drop in the bucket compared to the thousands of dollars Palin charged for the work she did while living at her personal home.They also seem to fall within the legal confines of appropriate per diem billing (though Alaska taxpayers may take umbrage with that). On a broader lever, the expenditures offer a fascinating window into how Palin -- thrust into the national spotlight -- balanced her work as governor with growing media attention.

There are, for instance, interviews conducted on the same day in November with "Entertainment Tonight" and the New York Times, and, a week later, The Weekly Standard and "Larry King Live." A few days after speaking with Rendell, she filed a $60 per diem expense for a photo session with "UAA Men's & Women's teams" -- likely University of Alaska Anchorage's basketball squads. In mid-December, meanwhile, she met with Alaska Senator-elect Mark Begich, followed by an interview with Human Events (for which she filed a per diem expense of $60). On the next day came a phone call with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid for what was, ostensibly, a federal matter that pertained to Alaska.
    $60 dollars for a long distance phone call? How long did Sarah Palin have to talk to come up with that number? And how come it seems that every single call she makes costs the State of Alaska sixty dollars? Could it be because that is the most that she can ask for? You betcha.

Which I guess also explains how she came up with the $60 dollar per diem for a "photo session with UAA Men's & Women's teams". Did she do this telephonically as well? Or is that her going rate to be photographed these days. (Is that how much she charged People magazine?)

This whole thing stinks like a trunk full of dead salmon. (I made that part all Alaskan-y for my out of state visitors.)

Essentially this woman is treating her job like a bottomless credit card that she can use to pay for any little thing that strikes her fancy or furthers her national political aspirations.

I am very interested to see the expense reports for January, just for the opportunity to see how much of the costs this "SarahPAC" of hers is picking up in order to keep this shallow woman living in the lifestyle in which she has recently grown accustomed to living.

Speaking for the Alaskans that I know, we are absolutely over this goddamn woman and cannot wait until she is voted, impeached, or thrown the hell out.

The Immoral Minority: Governor Palin charged my state for a $60 phone call to FOX News. How did that benefit the state of Alaska again?

no! they cant throw her out.. if they do, she'll just migrate somewhere with less caribou and infest it
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Essentially this woman is treating her job like a bottomless credit card that she can use to pay for any little thing that strikes her fancy or furthers her national political aspirations.
    Well, at least she didn't hit the state with a $150,000 bill for new clothes...yet.

^^ That's sexist!!!!!!!!!

^^'Spreading the wealth' is never sexist. It's patriotic. Like paying higher taxes.

She needs to pay up NOW, there is no reason why she should owe, its not like she doesnt have the $
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Palin will never pay up. She always expects pay outs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information