Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evangelical morons call stimulus bill.. anti-christian

Red face Evangelical morons call stimulus bill.. anti-christian

Mike Huckabee says the stimulus bill is "anti-religion." The Christian Coalition calls it "an attack on people of faith." The Traditional Values declares that the economic package "stimulates anti-Christian bigotry." My goodness. Maybe the devil really is in the details.

Or...maybe this is a classic case of social conservatives ginning up yet another false charge of anti-Christian bigotry in order to avoid coming up with a legitimate reason to oppose the stimulus bill. Let's look at what we're really talking about here.

The provision that has the Huckabee gang all atwitter would prevent the use of federal construction funds for college facilities used primarily for religious purposes. In other words, you can't take federal money and use it to build a chapel on your campus. It does not do...well, pretty much everything Senator Jim DeMint claimed it would:

"[It] would make sure students could never talk openly and honestly about their faith ... what this means is that students can't meet together in their dorms if that dorm has been repaired with federal money and have a prayer group or a Bible study. They can't get together in their student centers. They can't have a commencement service where a speaker talks about their personal faith... Classes on world religions and religious history, academic studies of religious texts could be banned"

Now, that's just ridiculous--and unabashedly disingenuous, to boot. Again, the provision would prevent the use of federal funds for the construction of religious facilities. That's been federal law for decades and has to be reiterated every time monies for school construction are approved.

Of course, while social conservatives have been crying wolf about this higher ed construction provision, they've largely ignored a provision in the House version of the bill (the Senate version largely stripped out school construction funding and the issue is at the crux of negotiations between the two chambers) that didn't include parochial and other nonpublic schools in the "green schools" initiative that allocates money for schools to modernize. What their protest has done is conflate the two issues for many congressional staffers, some of whom have hardened their opposition to allowing parochial schools to access the modernization funds. Way to go, Huckabee Gang.

Says one religious lobbyist advocating for an expansion of the green schools provision: "The Traditional Values crowd doesn't have the material interests of religious higher education institutions in mind. They're just trying to put points on the board. They're not interested in the green schools issue because it's not something you can put in a direct mail piece. There wasn't any language in the House bill that explicitly said parochial schools can't get this money. But the higher ed section had to clarify that you can't use this money to build a chapel. So they're taking that and running with it."

What's most maddening is that the people getting the mobilization alerts and emails from the Christian Coalitions of the world are getting squeezed under the weight of the collapsing economy. There are legitimate arguments to be made that this stimulus package may not be the solution they need. But instead of making those arguments, the Huckabee Gang would rather scare folks with false claims of bigotry and discrimination. WWJD? Hell, no.

What is Mike Huckabee Talking About? :: Swampland - TIME.com
    I'm sorry, but how fucking stupid can you be?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

.....why do they build all those big, expensive churches when it seems like they never want to go pray in them....they prefer universities, elementary schools.....supermarket parking lots.....my front porch.....

they don't pray anyway, it's basically Carousel

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

...praying...condeming to hell....same thing....

I just tell them i'm a gay jew, seems to work. Especially against those sweet cheeked Mormon boys who come a callin.. Mmmmmmmmmmm..

....c'mon down to southern U.S......I told one neighborlady that I wasn't religious....she said "Oh, you must be Jewish".....**scratches head**.....when the area is 100% Baptist.....they are a wee bit narrow minded.....

....when I say I don't believe....they keep asking "then what DO you believe in?".....considering their heads are full up with nothing....you think they would understand the concept of believing in nothing.....

....if they'd just stay off my porch....they wouldn't keep getting upset with me.......gotta get me a dog....a big dog....a big, mean dog....and feed Huckabee to him.....

Ahaha I've been to Atlanta twice, drove through alabama (yikes)... fucking baptists are everywhere.

I remember sitting in a theatre for a movie, and instead of ads for cars or food, it was all CHURCH ADS before the movie. One for this big scary baptist church came up and i said, incredibly, "Omfg baptists are evil"... half the theatre turned to look at me and gave me daggers.. the people beside me got up and moved.

It was.. unique.

My aunt moved to Georgia two years ago and found Jesus. Apparently he lives in Macon, GA.

Now I get LITERALLY 3 Jesus emails a day. Shit like, "If you really love Jesus, send this email to 10 friends."

I want to block her email address, but she's my aunt. It's like Jesus spam everyday!

Block any e-mail that has the word "jesus" in it

Outlook can do that

...that's why I hate to vote down here....all the voting here is done in churches....with the preacher going up and down the lines like a used car salesman..........I tell him that I'm not here to vote....I'm here for the "wimmin"...........that usually moves him along quickly.....

...I've had the idiot ask me where I'm from....when I tell him Pittsburgh....he said "Pittsburg, Mississippi?".....yeah, like I sound like I'm from Mississippi?........i-d-i-o-t.....at least in Pittsburgh, PENNSYLVANIA, there is a mixture of lots of religions....and most of the ministers/priests have had some kind of formal education/religious training.....the Baptist ministers down here usually preach on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays and fix trucks the rest of the week.....

...if you told them you were gay....they'd think you were happy to be there.....even though they preach against homosexuality.....I don't think they realize that gays don't have actual cloven hooves and horns.....they "think" they have never met any in person........it's been an education for me, being down here......and more firmly entrenched my lack of belief in a superior being who created these muttheads....

I'm not sure I could survive. It just seems like such a hellmouth of retardation that my eyes would roll out of my head.

Evangelical morons call stimulus bill.. anti-christian.

Of course it is. Obama's the antichrist, don'tcha know?

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    ...that's why I hate to vote down here....all the voting here is done in churches....with the preacher going up and down the lines like a used car salesman..........I tell him that I'm not here to vote....I'm here for the "wimmin"...........that usually moves him along quickly.....

...I've had the idiot ask me where I'm from....when I tell him Pittsburgh....he said "Pittsburg, Mississippi?".....yeah, like I sound like I'm from Mississippi?........i-d-i-o-t.....at least in Pittsburgh, PENNSYLVANIA, there is a mixture of lots of religions....and most of the ministers/priests have had some kind of formal education/religious training.....the Baptist ministers down here usually preach on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays and fix trucks the rest of the week.....

...if you told them you were gay....they'd think you were happy to be there.....even though they preach against homosexuality.....I don't think they realize that gays don't have actual cloven hooves and horns.....they "think" they have never met any in person........it's been an education for me, being down here......and more firmly entrenched my lack of belief in a superior being who created these muttheads....
    Why are you there? It sounds awful. I went through the south as a child for 6 weeks and I won't EVER go back. Sorry. Maybe to see Paula Deen.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    My aunt moved to Georgia two years ago and found Jesus. Apparently he lives in Macon, GA.

Now I get LITERALLY 3 Jesus emails a day. Shit like, "If you really love Jesus, send this email to 10 friends."

I want to block her email address, but she's my aunt. It's like Jesus spam everyday!
    I actually have had to tell close friends I was an atheist and I really did not want religious emails. I had to tell them a few times before they believed me. I find it VERY rude people do that. Send her some info about Wiccans or Hindu, or whatever.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    I grew up near Macon. That sounds pretty accurate. A lot of people seem to find Jesus in Middle GA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information