Thread: John McCain: Obama is being too partisan, even though GOP gets everything it wants

Thumbs down John McCain: Obama is being too partisan, even though GOP gets everything it wants

What a surprise! No one could have predicted that, in response to Obama reaching out to (well, bending over for) Republicans, Republicans would respond by - what? - accusing him of being too partisan. Maybe if Obama makes 99% of the stimulus package tax cuts for big companies, then the Republicans will like him. It's worth a try, in the spirt of post-partisanship and all.

Republican Sen. John McCain says that Democratic lawmakers putting together an economic stimulus plan are no more open to input from the opposing party than the GOP was during the Bush administration.

The Arizona Republican says that he thought there was going to be a change in the tone of partisanship in Washington when the Obama administration took over, but he adds that he's not seeing it.

Yeah, McCain thought there was going to be a change in tone, then McCain and his GOP cronies attacked Obama in a partisan manner, so now there's no change in tone and it's Obama's fault. Again, Joe and I have written for years about how the Republicans always, always, always accused US of doing what THEY are ACTUALLY doing. It's their oldest trick in the book, and it still works.

WWW.AMERICABLOG.COM
    YEAH, IT WORKS BECAUSE THE DEMS ARE FUCKING STUPID.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Nobody's buying the Republicans whining, except maybe some other Republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    YEAH, IT WORKS BECAUSE THE DEMS ARE FUCKING STUPID.
    I think there's more to this than most people realize.
    Monday, Feb. 9, 2009 07:18 PST
    Stimulus maneuvers: First move in a long chess game

Paul Krugman is glum. The compromises made by the Obama administration to get three Republican senators to sign on to the stimulus have gutted its potential effectiveness, he writes.
    The real question now is whether Obama will be able to come back for more once it's clear that the plan is way inadequate. My guess is no. This is really, really bad.
    But Brad DeLong points us to Roll Call's budget columnist, Stan Collender, who is considerably more optimistic, in a blog post titled "Disagreeing With Paul Krugman."

Collender observes that there will be several opportunities in the near future to increase government spending on stimulus components, through the normal budget appropriations process. The key fact: these specific bills, including a "reconciliation" bill for the 2010 budget process, can't be filibustered, which means the Democratic majorities in the House and Senate can do what they want.
    My guess is that the Obama administration sees this, sees that it will get credit for even the changed version of the stimulus that is likely to get enacted, understands the political importance of an early legislative victory and, therefore, has decided to take what it can get now and come back for more in other ways in the not too distant future.
    Krugman acknowledged Collender's thesis last night, calling it "cheerful." Whether happy talk or not, Collender's take definitely broadens the context for viewing the politics of the current stimulus bill. If the end result of Obama's maneuvers is to make him look as if he was the one to reach out to the other party but got harshly rebuffed, while at the same time keeping some cards in his back pocket that maintain his administration's freedom to act as necessary, that's some smooth operating.

― Andrew Leonard

Stimulus maneuvers: First move in a long chess game - How the World Works - Salon.com

I'm not buying it, so we'll wait and see.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

So what's McCain going to do? Suspend his campaign again?

Thread Information