Thread: Labor nomination held up due to nominee’s support of Labor

Red face Labor nomination held up due to nominee’s support of Labor

Apparently, Republican Senators want to establish a new standard for the Secretary of Labor: Stay out of pro-worker legislation. Wonkette captures the situation perfectly in the post titled, "Labor Nomination Held Up Due To Nominee’s Support Of Labor."

Of course, there were no similar restrictions applied to Secretary of Labor for George Bush, Elaine Chao, who was the wife of GOP Senate Leader, Mitch McConnell, when she was working against the interests of working men and women. If the Republicans get their way, Hilda Solis would be prevented from working on pro-worker policy, particularly the Employee Free Choice Act:

Underscoring the bitter debate over a proposal to make it easier for workers to form unions, Republican senators are suggesting that President Obama's pick for Labor secretary must recuse herself from lobbying for the bill's passage.

A Senate committee will vote today whether to confirm Rep. Hilda L. Solis, a Democrat from El Monte.

In a written exchange with Solis, Republican senators indicated they are wary of her ties to a tax-exempt group dedicated to helping workers unionize.

That's beyond absurd. The Republicans, at the behest of their corporate masters, are apoplectic about the Employee Free Choice Act. They really, really don't want to give workers a chance to unionize. Preventing a cabinet secretary from working on an issue of direct concern to the cabinet secretary's domain is just unheard of. They wouldn't tell Geithner to stay out of issues involving the Federal Reserve, even though he ran the NY Fed. The Republicans have a special disdain for America's working men and women.

Now, this won't come as a surprise, but it's also pure hypocrisy. Elaine Chao used her bully pulpit to fight against the Employee Free Choice Act. She railed against the legislation in on the op-ed page of the Wall Street Journal on January 14, 2009, less than a month ago. But now, Republican think it's wrong for the new Labor Secretary in the new administration, which supports the Employee Free Choice Act, to speak out. Wow. They really have no scruples. None.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    why do republicans hate american workers?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^because the more money the American worker makes, the less money the greedy company owners make.

Fuckers. I had no idea Chao was McConnell's wife. I'm going to start calling those fuckers' offices every day now until she gets a hearing. Fuckers.

Thursday, Feb. 5, 2009 15:25 EST
    Another Obama nominee has tax problems

When it rains in D.C. these days, it pours Obama administration nominees with tax issues. Thursday brought the news that Labor Secretary-nominee Hilda Solis' husband, Sam Sayyad, had, on Wednesday, paid $6,400 to settle tax liens on his business, some of them dating back 16 years.

The news was broken by USA Today, which asked Solis and Sayyad about the liens on Tuesday; the couple says they were unaware of them before that. A White House spokesman told the paper that Sayyad believes he had paid the taxes, and plans to appeal.

So far, it seems that the administration will stick by its nominee, who was already facing stiff opposition from the GOP. ""We reviewed her tax returns, and her tax returns are in order. The story denotes that her husband had some issues with paying a business tax and, obviously, that tax should be paid," White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said at a briefing Thursday. "She's not a partner in that business, so we're not going to penalize her for her husband's business mistakes."

The timeline of the story does raise a question about what Gibbs knew and when he knew it. At his press briefing Tuesday, Gibbs was asked, "Are there other nominees out there with tax problems that we don't know about?" He responded by dodging the question, saying, "The president is quite confident in the people that serve in this White House and serve in this administration, that we've put a standard of ethics and accountability that's unseen and unmatched by any previous administration in our country's history." Asked for a yes or no answer, Gibbs dodged again.

― Alex Koppelman

Another Obama nominee has tax problems - War Room - Salon.com

so he paid them, what's the big deal?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information