Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg hospitalized for pancreatic cancer

Default Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg hospitalized for pancreatic cancer

Ginsburg has pancreatic cancer - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

MSNBC.com

Ginsburg has pancreatic cancer
    A justice since 1993, she has had colon cancer earlier in her tenure
    BREAKING NEWS
    The Associated Press
    updated 10:17 a.m. PT, Thurs., Feb. 5, 2009

WASHINGTON - Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has undergone surgery for pancreatic cancer, which was apparently at an early stage.

Court officials said the 75-year-old Ginsburg had surgery Thursday at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. She will remain in the hospital for seven to 10 days, said her surgeon. Dr. Murray Brennan. This was according to a release issued by the court.

Ginsburg, a justice since 1993, had colon cancer earlier in her tenure.

The cancer was discovered during a routine, annual exam late last month at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md.

The court said a CAT scan revealed a tumor measuring about 1 centimeter across the center of the pancreas.

Check back for more details on this developing story.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: Ginsburg has pancreatic cancer - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

MSN Privacy . Legal
    © 2009 MSNBC.com

Good thing Obama gets to replace her then.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

jesus, why can't one of the conservative judges get sick and die?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^This is exactly my first thought. Sounds cold and callous but hey, that's how it is with Supreme Court Judges.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Good thing Obama gets to replace her then.
    That was the first thought that popped into my head, too.

OK, I came here to see that I'm not the only one that had the same thought.

Why can't we lose that fuck Scalia???

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    ^^This is exactly my first thought. Sounds cold and callous but hey, that's how it is with Supreme Court Judges.
    Me too. I would much rather Scalia had a heart attack. I know it sounds bad, but I think it would be more fair. Ruth's had plenty of health problems already. But she still keeps going!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    OK, I came here to see that I'm not the only one that had the same thought.

Why can't we lose that fuck Scalia???
    Well, doesn't he go hunting with Cheney?

Best wishes Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Gold Member

Get well soon, Justice Ginsburg.

She was in very poor health throughout the Bush Administration.

Obama will be replacing both Ginsburg and Stevens during his administration, which at least allows him to replace to liberal justices with two new liberal justices.

Roberts, Thomas, and Alito are going to be around for at least another 20 years. And Scalia another 10.

Obama's best chance to change the composition of the Court to more left leaning will be if he gets a second term and Anthony Kennedy retires.

i think he should hire someone to inject one of the conservative judges with air bubbles or something.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    She was in very poor health throughout the Bush Administration.

Obama will be replacing both Ginsburg and Stevens during his administration, which at least allows him to replace to liberal justices with two new liberal justices.

Roberts, Thomas, and Alito are going to be around for at least another 20 years. And Scalia another 10.

Obama's best chance to change the composition of the Court to more left leaning will be if he gets a second term and Anthony Kennedy retires.
    I'm not so sure Scalia will be there 10 more years. He's 72. He's gained a lot of weight in the past decade, judging from when I see photos of him. I don't think he's as tough as John Paul Stevens physically. I see a huge difference between the two even though Stevens is older. I don't think Stevens will step down. He seems to be one of those guys who loves his job and will probably die while still on the court. I think Souter would be more likely to go because he doesn't like Washington.

And while Ruth did have colon cancer about 10 years ago, she never missed a court session while she was being treated for it. She's a lot tougher than she looks. I think she'll get through this and be on the court for a few more years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I'm not so sure Scalia will be there 10 more years. He's 72. He's gained a lot of weight in the past decade, judging from when I see photos of him. I don't think he's as tough as John Paul Stevens physically. I see a huge difference between the two even though Stevens is older. I don't think Stevens will step down. He seems to be one of those guys who loves his job and will probably die while still on the court. I think Souter would be more likely to go because he doesn't like Washington.

And while Ruth did have colon cancer about 10 years ago, she never missed a court session while she was being treated for it. She's a lot tougher than she looks. I think she'll get through this and be on the court for a few more years.
    Scalia looks to be a very healthy, robust guy for his age. I think he could do another 10 years standing on his head.

Stevens will retire in this term because he knows he will be replaced by a liberal judge.

Ginsburg will be gone this term because she has pancreatic cancer. While initial reports are saying they caught it early and that the prognosis is good, she previously had colon cancer. Because it is so difficult to remove all the cancer from colon surgery, I'm thinking this is related and a pretty bad sign.

So, I think that Obama will be replacing two liberal justices in this term.

February 9, 2009, 10:08 am
    The Prognosis: Justice Ginsburg to Remain Quite Active

Posted by Ashby Jones

Since Thursday, when it was revealed that Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg had been diagnosed with an early form of pancreatic cancer, the world has been abuzz with speculation over who might replace her. Click here for an LB post from Friday on the topic.

Early signs, however, indicate that she’s not ready to hang up her robe just yet. Court spokeswoman Kathy Arberg said on Friday that Ginsburg intends to come back to the court in time for three days of oral arguments beginning Feb. 23. (Ginsburg had surgery Thursday at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York to remove a small cancerous tumor from the center of her pancreas.) Click here for the Washington Post story.

Ginsburg’s plan to return so quickly signals that she is recovering well from the surgery and that she probably avoided a more extensive type of operation that is sometimes needed for pancreatic tumors, said Sarah Thayer, a surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital, to the WaPo. “If she’s going back already, you know she’s likely doing fairly well,” Thayer said. She did not have specific knowledge about Ginsburg’s case.

Furthermore, word is that Ginsburg is much tougher than her frail appearance might suggest. A decade ago, she did not miss a single day of court proceedings after an operation and therapy for colon cancer. Before her new bout with cancer, Ginsburg told audiences that she hoped to follow the pattern set by Louis Brandeis, who arrived at the court at age 60 and served for more than two decades, until age 83.

All those sizing up the new candidates can scratch Michigan governor Jennifer Granholm off the list. On Friday, she, through her spokeswoman, announced she wasn’t interested in a Supreme Court seat or any other position in the Obama administration.

Law Blog - WSJ.com : The Prognosis: Justice Ginsburg to Remain Quite Active

so NOT dead yet.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information