Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 36 out of 41 Republican Senators vote to kill ALL spending in Stimulus Bill

Bronze Member

Default 36 out of 41 Republican Senators vote to kill ALL spending in Stimulus Bill

TPMDC | Talking Points Memo | The Four Republican Senators Open to Working With Obama

President Obama talks about seeking bipartisan accord ... and he reaches out to GOP senators ... but how many Republicans are even open to the need for fixing the economy through government spending?
    As The Washington Independent's Dave Weigel points out, that question seems to have been answered in a Senate vote last night. When Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) offered an alternative stimulus plan that would replace all government spending in the stimulus with a series of tax cuts, 36 Republican senators voted for it.
    To emphasize the point, that means all but four GOPers were perfectly happy with scrapping the core assumption of the president's plan. Here, then, are the four Republican senators whom Obama has the best shot at working with: Susan Collins (ME), George Voinovich (OH), Arlen Specter (PA), and Olympia Snowe (ME).

tax cuts? TAX CUTS?

Is that all they fucking think about? Your country is FALLING APART, your infrastructure crumbling, your health systems woefully inadequate.. and yet tax cuts for corporations are going to fix that?

Wtf planet do these retards live on?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Republicans don't care about infrastructure, healthcare or people losing their jobs. It's always about protecting their rich corporate friends.

And this is what I don't get about Republicans. We've probably spent over a trillion dollars in Iraq, and they don't blink about that. But talk about spending taxpayer money to shore up our own economy and they lose their shit.

defence contracts for Iraq make many people rich
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Plus, the possibility of stealing a country's oil supply.

A lot of good tax cuts will do you when you lose your job, home and savings. They're only thinking of themselves not the general public. These politicians are obnoxious. Even though I personally would benefit by tax cuts, it's not the best thing for the country right now. I am happy to forgo these in the best interest of the broader economc situation. We have to get this economy going again here, not in Iraq. This means Government spending in this country.

Obama and the spineless dems need to get out there and start controlling the message. Where the fuck are they? Why aren't they on tv 24/7 pounding their message home?

because they're doing the same thing they always do: come up with a good idea, let rethugs call it something else (a lie), let the rethugs turn public opinion against it, the dems get scared, they cave.

EVERY.

FUCKING.

TIME.

^^ They're actually getting things done. That's what they're doing.

They would have a much easier time of it if they controlled the message.

^^ I hear you - they need to hire a good PR firm.

^^You're right. Obama and the Dems are losing control of the message by trying to appease the Republicans. Bipartisanship is good to a point, but at some point you have to tell the GOP to shit or get off the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    A lot of good tax cuts will do you when you lose your job, home and savings. They're only thinking of themselves not the general public. These politicians are obnoxious. Even though I personally would benefit by tax cuts, it's not the best thing for the country right now. I am happy to forgo these in the best interest of the broader economc situation. We have to get this economy going again here, not in Iraq. This means Government spending in this country.
    Exactly. If you lose your job, then you don't pay taxes, so tax cuts are meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Obama and the spineless dems need to get out there and start controlling the message. Where the fuck are they? Why aren't they on tv 24/7 pounding their message home?

because they're doing the same thing they always do: come up with a good idea, let rethugs call it something else (a lie), let the rethugs turn public opinion against it, the dems get scared, they cave.

EVERY.

FUCKING.

TIME.
    Some of the House and Senate Dems should definitely be doing more press, but Obama is already hitting the PR front pretty hard considering Bush never did anything.
    Thursday, Feb. 5, 2009 10:10 EST
    Obama steps up stimulus sales pitch

Democrats may be increasingly confident that the stimulus bill will pass, and soon, but they're pulling out the big guns anyway: President Obama is now taking his case directly to the voters.

The president's new push began Thursday, with an op-ed under his name in the Washington Post. "What Americans expect from Washington is action that matches the urgency they feel in their daily lives -- action that's swift, bold and wise enough for us to climb out of this crisis," Obama says. "In recent days, there have been misguided criticisms of this plan that echo the failed theories that helped lead us into this crisis -- the notion that tax cuts alone will solve all our problems; that we can meet our enormous tests with half-steps and piecemeal measures; that we can ignore fundamental challenges such as energy independence and the high cost of health care and still expect our economy and our country to thrive."

The op-ed, though, is only the first step. On Monday, Obama will hold a press conference in prime time, and an address to the nation is also reportedly under consideration.

― Alex Koppelman

Obama steps up stimulus sales pitch - War Room - Salon.com

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Republicans don't care about infrastructure, healthcare or people losing their jobs. It's always about protecting their rich corporate friends.

And this is what I don't get about Republicans. We've probably spent over a trillion dollars in Iraq, and they don't blink about that. But talk about spending taxpayer money to shore up our own economy and they lose their shit.
    That's because the rich corp friends are benefitting from Iraq. Just ask DICK cheney.

the op-ed was basically ignored for the Daschle thing. Bush never had to do anything cuz he had hundreds of talkng heads who would do it for him.

^it just came out today. I don't think you can automatically say it's been ignored when it's been available for less than a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information