Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: President Obama takes responsibility for Daschle fuckup

Red face President Obama takes responsibility for Daschle fuckup

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Barack Obama on Tuesday admitted he made a mistake in handling the nomination of Tom Daschle as his Health and Human Services secretary, saying Daschle's tax problems sent a message that the politically powerful are treated differently than average people.

Daschle, the former Democratic leader in the U.S. Senate, withdrew earlier Tuesday as news that he failed to pay some taxes in the past continued to stir opposition on Capitol Hill.

"I think I screwed up," Obama said in an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper. "And, I take responsibility for it and we're going to make sure we fix it so it doesn't happen again."

Daschle had apologized Monday for what he said were honest mistakes, calling them an embarrassment.

The series of errors included improperly reporting $15,000 in charitable donations, failing to list $80,000 in lobbying income due to what Daschle said was a paperwork error and not reporting a car and driver loaned to him by a friend and business associate as income. Watch the president say he made a mistake

Daschle recently filed amended tax returns, and paid more than $140,000 in back taxes and interest for 2005-2007.

Those tax issues, as well as questions over whether work he did after his stint in the senate amounted to lobbying, gave critics ammunition to question Obama's call for a culture change in Washington.

"Ultimately, I campaigned on changing Washington and bottom-up politics," Obama said.

"And I don't want to send a message to the American people that there are two sets of standards -- one for powerful people and one for ordinary folks who are working every day and paying their taxes."

Obama defended Daschle's original appointment, saying "nobody was better equipped to deal both with the substance and policy of health care."

"He understands it as well as anybody, but also the politics, which is going to be required to actually get it done," Obama said.

Earlier, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs insisted Daschle had decided to withdraw on his own, not as a result of any prodding from the administration.

In a written statement, Daschle acknowledged the political problem he had created for the administration.

Still, Obama insisted the mistake was his. Read excerpts from the interview

"I take responsibility for it and we're going to make sure we fix it so it doesn't happen again," he said.

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News
    I'm sorry, I'm not used to the President candidly saying he fucked up and owning up to it.

I mean, after 8 years of Bush and his blithe refusals to admit any wrongdoing, well..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Yeah at least Obama admitted he screwed up. But you know what? He isn't God and he's not superhuman. Every president has made mistakes. Let's just move on.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

No, i like that he said "yeah, i fucked up."

it's refreshing!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I can still remember Bush not admitting to any mistakes...it's weird to have the President say what everyone is thinking, "I screwed up."

Nice.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Obama did screw up, and it's good that he admits it. He'll make more mistakes just like every other president.

But at least he didn't blame Clinton like Dubya would've done.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Cool move.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Elite Member

Classy guy.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

What the hell has happened to American politics? I mean, what the hell is a politician doing taking responsibility for his actions? Do you realize what sort of snowball effect this could have? We might actually get MORE honest and forthright pols. Say it ain't so.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

"I think I screwed up," Obama said in an interview with CNN's Anderson Cooper. "And, I take responsibility for it and we're going to make sure we fix it so it doesn't happen again."

Oh my gawd...

On the news this morning, they showed a shot of O sitting a chair saying, "I made a mistake and I it was my fault" and I swear, people, I swear that my heart went aflutter, and I got a sly look on my face and I started thinking about doing VERY BAD THINGS to this man who was owning up to doing bad things. My goodness. I would hurt him so bad if I had the chance.
    He's fucking sexy.

Presidents can make mistakes? But Bush never made one.

Smooth move, Obama. Class and humility in that statement.

It feels weird having an honest guy for president

It was amazing to hear and read. However, you have to see his news conference from this morning..he put all 12" on the table!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Elite Member

If GWB had bothered to say "My bad" a few times, maybe he wouldn't be hated on so much. My opinion of Obama went up tenfold with this. A president owning up to a mistake--very cool!

Hit By Ban Bus!
    in north carolina for the next 2 years >.<

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    It was amazing to hear and read. However, you have to see his news conference from this morning..he put all 12" on the table!!
    what...the fuck. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information