Default Tom Daschle withdraws from nomination

Daschle withdraws Obama nomination - White House- msnbc.com

MSNBC.com

Daschle withdraws Obama nomination
    He follows withdrawal earlier Tuesday of chief performance nominee
    BREAKING NEWS
    NBC, msnbc.com and news services
    updated 10:01 a.m. PT, Tues., Feb. 3, 2009
    WASHINGTON - Former Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle on Tuesday withdrew his nomination to oversee the Health and Human Services Department, just a few hours after another Obama nominee also withdrew.

Both had controversies with taxes and cited distractions over that as their reasons for withdrawing.

In a White House statement, President Barack Obama said he accepted Daschle's withdrawal "with sadness and regret."

Daschle has been battling for his nomination since it was disclosed he failed to pay more than $120,000 in taxes.

Daschle, in his statement, said he's withdrawing because he's not a leader who has the full faith of Congress and will be a distraction.

Earlier Tuesday, Nancy Killefer withdrew as nominee to be the first chief performance officer for the federal government.

The White House later released her letter to the president, which in part stated: "I recognize that your agenda and the duties facing your Chief Performance Officer are urgent. I have also come to realize in the current environment that my personal tax issue of D.C. unemployment tax could be used to create exactly the kind of distraction and delay those duties must avoid. Because of this I must reluctantly ask you to withdraw my name from consideration."

Killefer, a 55-year-old executive with consulting giant McKinsey & Co., was the second major Obama administration nominee to withdraw and the third to have tax problems complicate their nomination after President Barack Obama announced their selection.

When her nomination was announced by Obama on Jan. 7, The Associated Press disclosed that in 2005 the District of Columbia government had placed a lien on her home in the upscale Wesley Heights neighborhood. The local government alleged that she had started missing payments on unemployment compensation tax for a household employee. And she failed to make the required quarterly payments for a year and half, whereupon a lien for $946.69 was placed on her home.

Administration officials had refused to answer questions about the lien, which she resolved five months after it was filed.

During that period, Killefer and her husband, an economics professor, had a teenage son and daughter, but she had two nannies and a personal assistant to run her life when she was on the road, she told Harvard business students back then.

Impressive credentials
    On paper, Killefer brought impressive credentials to the two jobs Obama selected her for: deputy director for management at the Office of Management and Budget, which requires Senate confirmation, and a new White House post, chief performance officer for the entire federal government, which does not require confirmation.

Killefer was to work with economic officials to increase efficiencies and eliminate waste in government spending.

Obama repeatedly promised that his administration would go "line by line" over its budgets with a focus on fiscal responsibility even as he seeks huge amounts of money to stimulate the U.S. economy.

Killefer oversees McKinsey's management consulting for government clients. During 1997-2000 in the Clinton administration, Killefer was assistant Treasury secretary for management. As such she was the chief financial officer and chief operating officer for the Treasury and its 160,000 employees and led a modernization of its largest component, the Internal Revenue Service.

Other nominee problems
    The Obama administration has had several other nomination problems.

Timothy Geithner was sworn in as Treasury secretary in January, after winning confirmation despite personal tax lapses that turned more than a third of the Senate against him.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, Obama's initial selection for commerce secretary, withdrew his name amid a grand jury investigation into a state contract awarded to his political donors.

Obama took no questions Tuesday after announcing his choice of Sen. Judd Gregg to be commerce secretary. He left the White House lectern ignoring a shouted question about why so many of his nominees have tax problems.

Ignoring payroll taxes on household help has sunk nominees before. Failure to pay Social Security taxes for a nanny and chauffeur kept corporate lawyer Zoe Baird from becoming President Bill Clinton's attorney general in 1993. Similar problems either blocked or bedeviled other nominees. Still others overcame them, including Shirley S. Chater, the university president who was confirmed to head the Social Security Administration under Clinton despite failing to pay Social Security taxes for a part-time baby sitter.

2009 msnbc.com
    URL: Daschle withdraws Obama nomination - White House- msnbc.com

MSN Privacy . Legal
    2009 MSNBC.com

I wonder who they'll pick for these positions now.

I don't know but I hope they revise their vetting forms pronto.

Dropping out is for the best, especially Daschle. They were becoming distractions. Obama needs to do a better vetting job on their replacements and make sure their tax situations are in order.

Elite Member

I think this has more to do with how Daschle is making all his money. No one can pinpoint what he's been doing since leaving the Senate, but he's made millions. How? Digging into that would have been a major problem, so it's best Daschle dropped out of the nomination.

Have you guys seen this clip yet? Oh, the irony.....

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/avG9DvLi-aQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=p layer_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/avG9DvLi-aQ&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=p layer_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avG9DvLi-aQ&eurl=http://wbal.com/apps/news/templates/smith_show.aspx?articleid=20748&zoneid=13&feature= player_embedded[/youtube]

Thread Information