Thread: Prez Obama orders full review of FDA, bout frigging time

Thumbs up Prez Obama orders full review of FDA, bout frigging time

Again, what a difference a few days can make. Food safety was never a consideration during the Bush years but Obama is determined to focus on consumers and not just business.

More than 500 people have been sickened and at least eight may have died with authorities faulting Peanut Corp. of America. Officials said the company shipped products that initially tested positive for salmonella after retesting and getting a negative result.

The outbreak has led to a massive recall of products ranging from ice cream to cookies.

"I think that the FDA has not been able to catch some of these things as quickly as I expect them to catch," Obama said in an interview aired Monday on NBC's "Today" show. "And so we're going to be doing a complete review of FDA operations."

The president said Americans should be able to count on the government to keep children safe when they eat peanut butter and that includes his 7-year-old daughter Sasha.

"That's what Sasha eats for lunch probably three times a week. And you know, I don't want to have to worry about whether she's going to get sick as a consequence to having her lunch," Obama said.

The FDA has asked the Justice Department to launch a criminal investigation into Virginia-based Peanut Corp. of America.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    derrr
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Default re

The FDA blows dead dogs. They are a bunch of whores.

*insert FDR comparison here*

I did read something about this this morning, that there is a HUGE lack of inspectors at the FDA. I am trying to find the link.

I heard a story on NPR yesterday about the honey industry and the lack of oversight. The FDA has no legal definition of honey, so anyting can be called honey. Chinese honey importers will send honey through other countries to avoid tariffs and inspections. Apparently, there are a number of dangerous substances found in Chinese honey. Despite all that, the FDA tests fewer than 100 containers of honey out of the thousands and thousands that arrive here each year.

Quote Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
    I heard a story on NPR yesterday about the honey industry and the lack of oversight. The FDA has no legal definition of honey, so anyting can be called honey. Chinese honey importers will send honey through other countries to avoid tariffs and inspections. Apparently, there are a number of dangerous substances found in Chinese honey. Despite all that, the FDA tests fewer than 100 containers of honey out of the thousands and thousands that arrive here each year.

Thats scary. I love honey and use it in tea everyday. Although for the past 3 years I only get it from my brother. He has his own hives... thankfully!

didn't some-one post an article about high fructose corn syrup containing mercury?
    Does the FDA actually run tests on any of these foods it deems safe?

Quote Originally Posted by powerorchid View Post
    didn't some-one post an article about high fructose corn syrup containing mercury?
    Does the FDA actually run tests on any of these foods it deems safe?
    I think they lack manpower & money.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

yet they consistently say that certain health foods are not safe - because no tests have been done.

I generally don't believe any-thing they say. Highly processed foods are killing America and the rest of the world, they should do some research into it.

Thread Information