Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama gives chilly reception to canceled school in D.C.

Default Barack Obama gives chilly reception to canceled school in D.C.

Associated Press
    WASHINGTON You call this bad weather? President Barack Obama, steeled by many snowy Chicago winters, expressed disbelief Wednesday when his daughters woke up to find that their classes had been canceled for the day.
    Schools in Washington and the surrounding suburbs either opened late or scrapped all their classes because of icy conditions.
    "Can I make a comment that is unrelated to the economy very quickly?" the new president told reporters at a gathering with business leaders. "And it has to do with Washington. My children's school was canceled today. Because of, what? Some ice?"
    The president said he wasn't the only one who was incredulous.
    "As my children pointed out, in Chicago, school is never canceled," Obama said to laughter. "In fact, my 7-year-old pointed out that you'd go outside for recess. You wouldn't even stay indoors. So, I don't know. We're going to have to try to apply some flinty Chicago toughness."
    Asked if he meant the people of the national's capital are wimps, Obama said: "I'm saying, when it comes to the weather, folks in Washington don't seem to be able to handle things."
    Obama's daughters attend the private Sidwell Friends School.
    Malia, 10, is a fifth-grader at the middle school campus in the District of Columbia, while younger sister Sasha is in second grade at the elementary school in Bethesda, Md., just outside Washington.
    Obama gives chilly reception to canceled school
    Obama was probably like 'why are these damn kids at home today?'

I grew up in Nebraska when sometimes we'd have to shovel our way out the front door. I think they cancelled school once.

Of course ice is quite slippery and a driving hazard. Who knows what the school regulations are in other snowy/icy cities.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I wonder how well Mr. Chicago Toughness could deal with Kansas City's temperamental weather

That being said, public schools in Missouri have been known to close over just three inches of snow. That happened not too long ago, again.

We're tough 'round these parts Mr. President..but an ice storm is no joke!!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

For people who are not accustomed to traveling in ice or snow storms, it can be very distressing and even dangerous. I know this because I am from Houston, and when I went to college and it snowed, I completely freaked out about the idea of driving in it and didn't go to class.

I would hope that he understands that in an area as diverse as Washington D.C., not everybody is as accustomed to extreme weather as he and his family may be.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    For people who are not accustomed to traveling in ice or snow storms, it can be very distressing and even dangerous. I know this because I am from Houston, and when I went to college and it snowed, I completely freaked out about the idea of driving in it and didn't go to class.

I would hope that he understands that in an area as diverse as Washington D.C., not everybody is as accustomed to extreme weather as he and his family may be.
    Don't get me wrong, we get ice storms a lot in this area. It's just new to him that here we close schools for them. We are use to rough weather... ice storms and blizzards equal kids stay home from school!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I grew up outside of Cleveland and we did not have school canceled nearly as much as we probably should have.
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

Elite Member

We probably get the worst winter weather up here in Canada and they'll close schools only because of busses travelling, but it's very rare to close Universities and Colleges and even more rare to close workplaces. On a normal winter day, I've walked to work in -11 C temperatures, on sheets of black ice, against unbearable wind, through unplowed walkways and over treacherous snowbanks. That's just a way of life up here. You suck it up.
    Last edited by Elisa; January 29th, 2009 at 07:19 AM.

I say it's better to be safe than sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    We probably get the worst winter weather up here in Canada and they'll close schools only because of busses travelling, but it's very rare to close Universities and Colleges and even more rare to close workplaces. On a normal winter day, I've walked to work in -11 C temperatures, on sheets of black ice, against unbearable wind, through unplowed walkways and over treacherous snowbanks. That's just a way of life up here. You suck it up.
    Yes. I live in a border city and it's so funny to me when I hear of everything closing just across the river and they are only getting a bit of snow that we wouldn't blink twice at.

Two words: Lake Effect.

I laughed my ass off when I saw him say this on TV.

oh fer, we had -45C and schools still stayed open. They just taught the kids that showed up, the rest froze somewhere on the way.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

We got 8 inches of snow and the schools have been closed for 3 days now. Heavens! We went out yesterday to the store for some essentials and the roads were fine. Granted, we prolly have some kids in the country that the buses might not be able to get to, but the majority of these kids are ready and waiting to go back to school ... not to mention, I'd like to keep my job.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    oh fer, we had -45C and schools still stayed open. They just taught the kids that showed up, the rest froze somewhere on the way.
    I know I shouldn't but ...

I think his main point was that the Washington DC public schools opened with a 2 hour delay. It was his children's private school that closed completely.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information