Thread: Pastor Ted Haggard faces more gay sex allegations

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default Pastor Ted Haggard faces more gay sex allegations

DENVER Disgraced evangelical leader Ted Haggard's former church disclosed Friday that the gay sex scandal that caused his downfall extends to a young male church volunteer who reported having a sexual relationship with Haggard a revelation that comes as Haggard tries to repair his public image.

Brady Boyd, who succeeded Haggard as senior pastor of the 10,000-member New Life Church in Colorado Springs, told The Associated Press that the man came forward to church officials in late 2006 shortly after a Denver male prostitute claimed to have had a three-year cash-for-sex relationship with Haggard.

Boyd said an "overwhelming pool of evidence" pointed to an "inappropriate, consensual sexual relationship" that "went on for a long period of time ... it wasn't a one-time act." Boyd said the man was in his early 20s at the time. He said he was certain the man was of legal age when it began.

Reached Friday night, Haggard declined to comment and said all interviews would have to be arranged through a publicist for HBO, which is airing a documentary about him this month.

Boyd said the church reached a legal settlement to pay the man for counseling and college tuition, with one condition being that none of the parties involved discuss the matter publicly.

Boyd said a Colorado Springs TV station reached him Thursday to say the young man was planning to provide a detailed report of his relationship with Haggard to the station. Boyd said the church preferred to keep the matter private, but it was the man's decision to go public.

The disclosure comes as Haggard, 52, is about to give a series of high-profile interviews to promote the cable documentary about his time in exile. He is scheduled to appear on CNN's Larry King Live on Thursday, the date of the documentary's premiere, and already has taped "The Oprah Winfrey Show."

In early 2007, New Life Church disclosed that an investigation uncovered new evidence that Haggard engaged in "sordid conversation" and "improper relationships" but didn't go into detail. Earlier, a church board member had said there was no evidence that Haggard had sexual relations with anyone but Mike Jones, the former male prostitute.

Haggard confessed to undisclosed "sexual immorality" after Jones' allegations and resigned as president of the National Association of Evangelicals and from New Life Church, where he faced being fired.

Anticipating criticism of the settlement with the former church volunteer, Boyd said Friday that it was in the best interests of all involved. He would not name the volunteer or the settlement amount.

"It wasn't at all a settlement to make him be quiet or not tell his story," Boyd said. "Our desire was to help him. Here was a young man who wanted to get on with his life. We considered it more compassionate assistance certainly not hush money. I know what's what everyone will want to say because that's the most salacious thing to say, but that's not at all what it was."

He said that "secondarily, it's not great for our church either" that the story be told. Boyd said Haggard knew about the settlement two years ago.

In a letter e-mailed Friday to New Life Church members, Boyd said of the settlement and agreement not to talk: "This decision was made not as an attempt to conceal wrongdoings, but to protect him from those who would seek to exploit him. His actions now suggest that he has changed his mind."

The letter said the church "received reports of a number of incidents of inappropriate behavior" after Haggard's fall. "In each case, we have tried our very best to do the right thing each time, including disciplinary action when appropriate."

Boyd said the "inappropriate behavior" referred to the man who was the volunteer involved with Haggard. After Haggard's fall, another church staff member resigned after admitting to what was described as "sexual misconduct."

Boyd said the church will not take action against the man if he tells his story in the press.

"We have legal standing to do that, but not the desire to," he said.

Boyd said he had spoken to the man once and came away with the impression that he was speaking out because of the documentary. "I think what caused this young man to be a bit aggravated was Ted being seen as a victim, when he himself had experienced a great deal of hurt," Boyd said. "I seriously doubt this man would have come forward if the documentary had not been made."

A spokeswoman for the documentary, "The Trials of Ted Haggard," declined to comment Friday.

David Clohessy, national director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests which has largely focused on the Catholic sexual abuse scandal but also speaks out on cases involving Protestant clergy said the new disclosures about Haggard are more disturbing because they involves a church volunteer.

"Technically, legally, they were both adults," Clohessy said. "Psychologically and emotionally, Haggard was dramatically more powerful. ... By definition, any sexual contact between a congregant and minister is inherently abusive and manipulative."

In an AP interview this month before an appearance in front of TV critics in California, Haggard described his sexuality as complex and something that can't be put into "stereotypical boxes."
    FOXNews.com - Pastor Ted Haggard Faces More Gay Sex Accusations - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

God, I love seeing a hypocrite being exposed....again and again and again. I wonder if that pray the gay away thing is still sticking.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Haggard is the king of creeps. Yuk. That poor kid.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Haggard is right!

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I feel sorry for him in the fact that he can't, or won't accept his sexuality. He was raised that it was wrong, and getting past that has not really been possible for him. Until he does he will not be happy.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

..and he's a creepy looking hypocrite.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I might feel sorry for him if he hadn't used his bully pulpit to make life more difficult for gays.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Intolerance is expensive, especially when you figure you can buy your own sins away.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Oh I don't feel sorry for him that way. Just as in a too-bad-he's-a-self-hating-idiot-who-ruined-many-families-lives, kinda way
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

He makes me sick. Pray the gay away my ass. People are born that way, it is not a choice and there is nothing wrong with being born gay it is just who you are.
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

I wonder how the wife is taking this latest news.

--Sinclair Lewis

I knew this guy was gay the first time I saw him in that creepy ass movie Jesus Camp. He is so brainwashed that being gay is sin and immoral that he is willing to sacrifice his own happiness by staying in the closet instead of just admitting to himself he is gay. It's beyond sad and pathetic.

What I would really love see happen is this: Ole Ted realizes he can't fight the dick, divorces his wife, shacks up with a nice, tasty leatherman, becomes a major, outspoken proponent for gay rights and ends up adopting a disadvantaged kid who grows up to become a right wing zealot who opposes gay rights. Ooops, maybe that last bit wasn't terribly christian of me.

--Sinclair Lewis

i swear, gays are their own worst enemy.. i mean, half the republican party are repressed homos.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^ LOL.

This story should be shocking to no one.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    i swear, gays are their own worst enemy.. i mean, half the republican party are repressed homos.
    I think they want to ban homosexuality for the masses so they can have it all to themselves among their elite fraternal groups (Skull & Bones, church elders, GOP, etc.). It probably gets them off they do it but other people can't.

Thread Information