Thread: President Obama signs executive order to close Guantanamo Bay

Default President Obama signs executive order to close Guantanamo Bay

The Obama administration called on Thursday for the closure of Guantanamo Bay within the next year. The move will be greeted with widespread approval around the world, the end of a blotch on America's image abroad. Coming in the form of an executive order, it carries with it the power of law.

The real challenges, however, are not political but legal in nature. The president and his lawyers will have to maneuver deftly in order to remove 250 detainees from a facility in under a year. Federal criminal trials will commence, and in some cases individuals will be transferred to other prisons.

"You want to handle this situation methodically to avoid complications," said Sarah Mendelson, Director of the Human Rights and Security Initiative at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. "For every soul that has been held there you need to figure out each individual case and what the solution is. For those who can be released, there needs to be diplomatic arrangements. You can't send them to somewhere where they will be tortured."

As Mendelson sees it, the process of emptying Guantanamo could take a year or less, depending on how quickly indictments for those being prosecuted can be delivered and the extent to which other countries are willing to help out. A draft release of Obama's executive order said the facility should be "closed as soon as practicable, and no later than one year from the date of this order."

In issuing the order within the first week of office, Obama is following through on a pledge he made during the campaign, a campaign in which the Bush administration's interrogation and national security policies were often branded as worldwide embarrassments. But the pending order also was spurred by other, non-political factors. The current policy for detention was either unsustainable or getting to that point, legal scholars argue. And the Obama team was cognizant of the need to remove the detention center's tint before prosecuting its inhabitants.

"It doesn't surprise me that the new administration wants to put detention policy on a stronger legal footing," said Matthew Waxman, a Columbia Law professor and former Bush administration official who has called for Guantanamo's closure. "There was the question: How much does this administration want to devote to continually litigating very contentious legal claims, case by case, in habeas courts? That's part of it. And then there is also the chance that, especially as the longer detentions go on, the more skeptical the Supreme Court is likely to be in future cases coming up before it, about the scope of government detention powers."
    Obama took the first step towards changing the landscape on Tuesday night when he ordered a halt to military war crimes trials for 120 days. On Wednesday, Senate Republican Whip Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) said that he disagreed with the decision to halt the trials.

The pause in the proceedings allows the new administration to size up the hurdles going forward. It also could avoid the legal trap of double jeopardy, which prohibits prosecutors from trying individuals on the same charge in different courts.

Such a concern wasn't shared by all legal scholars. Nor was concern that the 21 pending cases would, for a short time, not have a legal venue. The move to stop the military tribunal process in its tracks, it was argued, was meant to exhibit as clean a break as possible from the prior administration.
    "There were cases going on as he was inaugurated," said Jen Daskal, senior counterterrorism counsel for Human Rights Watch. "And he is now the Commander in Chief and the President. He wanted to act quickly to put a halt to proceedings that are patently unfair and perceived around the world as unfair. This could be showcased to the world as a renewed respect to the rule of law."

Obama Signs Executive Order To Close Guantanamo Bay

Why doesn't he just nullify the Patriot Act and all this shit will stop.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Why doesn't he just nullify the Patriot Act and all this shit will stop.
    I don't think Obama can nullify the Patriot Act without Congress, since Dubya already signed it into law.

But I was watching Countdown last night and Olbermann had one of the former NSA techs on, and he said that the spying on Americans went even deeper than people thought. That they were spying on the media 24/7. I think Olbermann's going to have him back on tonight to talk about it in greater depth.

Of course it did. Spies can't help spying, that's what they do.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Spying on the media? why? 90% of them were Bush administration parrots anyway.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Just more stupid shit that Dubya did that defies logic.

I think along with the crackdown on lobbyist and closing Guantanemo, I think he has also signed an executive order to end domestic eavesdopping. I'll look for a link.

He's also trying to shut down secret CIA prisons:
    Obama orders CIA prisons, Gitmo shut - White House- msnbc.com

Balls of fucking steel considering what happened to the last president that tried to mess with the CIA. Hint: back and to the left.

Thread Information