Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama starts the first day with a little Rahm Emmanuel

Red face Barack Obama starts the first day with a little Rahm Emmanuel

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Obama began his first full day in office with a moment of solitude in the Oval Office, reading a note from his predecessor, before making phone calls to Middle East leaders.

Obama arrived in the Oval Office at 8:35 a.m., according to White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs. The president spent 10 minutes alone, reading a note left for him in the desk by outgoing President George W. Bush. The note had been placed in an envelope with a note saying: "To: # 44, From: # 43."

White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel met with the president 10 minutes later to discuss the daily schedule, Gibbs said.

Obama called Middle East leaders, according to a senior administration official, including King Abdullah of Jordan, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas and Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak.

On Sunday, Israel and Palestinian militants declared a cease-fire after 22 days of fighting in Gaza.

First lady Michelle Obama joined her husband in the Oval Office at 9:10 a.m., shortly before the first couple departed for the National Prayer Service at the Washington National Cathedral.

President Obama's faith "is a central part of his life and he will begin the first full day of his administration with a service of interfaith prayer and reflection," said Presidential Inaugural Committee Communications Director Josh Earnest.

"The National Prayer Service, which will embody the themes of tolerance, unity and understanding, is a worship service for all Americans."

Later in the day, Obama is expected to meet with his economic team and top brass from the Pentagon. iReport.com: What do you think Obama should do first?

He plans to tell the top U.S. officers that he wants them to plan to have combat forces out of Iraq in 16 months, as he promised during his election campaign, an adviser said.

"It's something he still believes is a responsible timetable," White House adviser David Axelrod told CNN. "But they'll discuss it. Everyone agrees that we need to be on a pace to withdraw our troops, and how that will be implemented I'm sure will be something he'll discuss."

Gen. David Petraeus, whose command oversees U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, is expected to attend the meeting, CNN learned Tuesday. Petraeus, who will have just arrived from Afghanistan and Pakistan, is expected to brief Obama on the latest developments in the troubled region.

Obama's administration was already in action Tuesday, ordering a 120-day halt to prosecutions of suspected terrorists at the U.S. prison camp at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to review the military commissions that try them.

Papers filed at the U.S. prison camp said the request is made "in the interest of justice and at the direction of the president of the United States."

"The judges will receive the requests and review them, and we anticipate a ruling soon," said Cmdr. Jeffrey Gordon, a Defense Department spokesman.

Obama may also launch his plan to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and boost energy independence by requiring an increase in automobile fuel efficiency standards.

The president also is expected to order a reversal of the Bush administration's so-called "Mexico City" policy, which prohibits U.S. money from funding international family planning groups that promote abortion or provide information, counseling or referrals about abortion services.

The 36th anniversary of the Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade abortion ruling is Thursday.

Chief of Staff Emanuel sent a memo to all federal agencies and departments to halt consideration of pending regulations throughout the government until the new staff can examine them, White House officials told CNN.

An estimated 1.5 million people packed the National Mall in freezing temperatures to watch Obama take the oath of office at noon Tuesday, capping a remarkable rise for a politician who, until 2004, was a little-known Illinois state senator. The 47-year-old president, the son of a Kenyan immigrant, is the first African-American to hold the office.

"Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real, they are serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time," he told the crowd in his inaugural address. "But know this, America: They will be met."

Shortly after Obama assumed the office from George W. Bush, the Senate confirmed six members of his Cabinet on a single voice vote: Energy Secretary Steven Chu, Education Secretary Arne Duncan, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, Secretary of Veterans Affairs retired Gen. Eric Shinseki and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack. In addition, Peter Orszag was approved as director of the Office of Management and Budget.

An objection by Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, delayed confirmation Tuesday of Secretary of State-designate Hillary Clinton. A roll-call vote on her nomination is expected to be held Wednesday.

CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News
    *snerk*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I wonder what the note from Dubya said.

"Aftuh you dun bein Preznit imma cutchoo so bad you gonna wish i dint cutchoo so bad.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^

I'd like to think he apologized for being an epic fail.
    Last edited by Belinda; January 21st, 2009 at 12:57 PM. Reason: added a word

The 47-year-old president, the son of a Kenyan immigrant, is the first African-American to hold the office.

Already getting a little tired of that tidbit as well. It's as if he sprang forth from his daddy's loins, isn't it?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

It means a lot to a lot of people. Let them have it. It's been a few hundred years in the making.

My bad, it's time for this white to embrace right, right?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

Dubya's note probably said: 'Barack, when things go wrong, just do what I always did. Blame Bill Clinton.'

*puts Mel's bellowing accordion away*

"Bet you can't find where I done hid all the "B"s from the keyboards."
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    It means a lot to a lot of people. Let them have it. It's been a few hundred years in the making.
    Yep I say let them have it since we all get Barack.
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

So much sexy. That picture is about to burst

Does anyone else think this is funny?

"To: # 44, From: # 43."

I know it's a tradition for the former pres to leave the new pres a note/letter but do they usually leave their numbers in order of presidency on them?

Haha. The monkey is gone. Thank God! He sure got the hell out of dodge (DC) fast yesterday. Anyone else notice. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Dubya's note probably said: 'Barack, when things go wrong, just do what I always did. Blame Bill Clinton.'
    so true!

Petunia Pearl

RAHM!
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

That pic totally took my mind off politics. I just want to squeeze in between, then I remember Michelle, who scares me.

Memo from Bush: I no iz prez no mo. Gude luk. or

If you have questions, ask Dick. He did everything for me.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information