Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chief Justice John Roberts and President Barack Obama seal deal with a stumble

Default Chief Justice John Roberts and President Barack Obama seal deal with a stumble

Chief Justice John Roberts swore in President-elect Barack Obama as president of the United States on Tuesday with a slight stumble over the wording of the oath of office in the first of what could be many important interactions between two men who rose to their positions of power quickly and who have some background similarities, but whose politics differ.

Separated by a Bible used by Abraham Lincoln at his first inaugural, Roberts asked Obama: "Are you prepared to take the oath, Senator?"

The former Illinois senator indicated he was, and Roberts started reciting — and Obama repeating — the 35-word oath that is prescribed by the Constitution.

But at one point, Obama paused abruptly after Roberts reversed several words in the oath.

The oath includes the phrase "that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States" but Roberts didn't say "faithfully" until after saying "president of the United States."

Obama apparently realized that something was out of order.

With Obama not reciting, Roberts then repeated the phrase correctly, ending a brief awkward moment and putting the oath back on track.

Roberts was then the first to congratulate Obama on his new job.

The inaugural oath is the chief justice's sole responsibility on Jan. 20 — although it is a traditional role, not one set forth in the Constitution. But the affable Roberts and his conservative-leaning Supreme Court could have much to say in the years to come about Obama's most important policy choices.

Former President George W. Bush left the court with two relatively young and reliably conservative voices, those of Roberts, 53, and Justice Samuel Alito, 58. Roberts took his seat in 2005 and Alito joined him the next year.

Roberts is the youngest chief justice in more than 200 years. He easily could still be in his role a quarter century from now, long after Obama has left office.

He and Obama are similar in many ways. Both are late baby boomers. Roberts is 53, Obama 47. And both got their law degrees from Harvard and made rapid ascents to power. But their politics diverge sharply.

As senator, Obama opposed Roberts' confirmation
    Roberts was an official in Republican administrations before becoming an appeals court judge and then chief justice under Bush.

Obama was one of 22 Senate Democrats to vote against Roberts' confirmation to the Supreme Court in 2005 — the first time a Supreme Court justice has sworn in a president who voted against him.

As president, Obama will try to use Supreme Court vacancies to counter Roberts' influence, either by replacing aging liberals with justices as young as or younger than Roberts or by changing the court's balance if a conservative justice retires unexpectedly.

Obama added the words "so help me God" to the end of the constitutional oath, following a practice established by George Washington and followed by most presidents.

The last time a chief justice swore in a president of a different party was in 1997, when Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, a Republican, swore in Democrat Bill Clinton for a second term. Two years later, Rehnquist would preside over Clinton's impeachment trial in the Senate which resulted in an acquittal.

Obama didn't actually finish taking the oath until 12:05 p.m., five minutes after he actually became president under the Constitution. Clinton, in his first inauguration in 2001, also was five minutes late in taking the oath.

The Lincoln Bible used by Obama was on loan from the Library of Congress.

Chief justice and Obama seal the deal - Inauguration- msnbc.com

The chief justice didn't pause long enough so he could say his name before "do solemnly swear". And got the rest of the oath wrong too with the rephrasing of words. I think he was nervous though, but he is a Bush appointee so, lol.

Of course you know some people are going to say its Obama's fault

This is the way its supposed to be said

[youtube]A2B8-RME13I[/youtube]

On some right wing forums they're tearing him apart for 'messing it up'... fucktards.

I wonder if part of Robinson's 'flub' had to do with the fact that Obama voted against his confirmation for the Supreme Court?

it was obvious that Roberts fucked up. Good for Obama for kind of letting him fix his flub.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

He handled it with his usual grace.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

It was a humbling moment for the new President. Wow...he handled it really well.

I just realized his name was Roberts not Robinson. Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I just realized his name was Roberts not Robinson. Oops.
    see? even you can make a little mistake..
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Maybe he should have tried reading it, instead of doing it from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    On some right wing forums they're tearing him apart for 'messing it up'... fucktards.
    some people in my office are doing the same thing. fucking jerks.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    see? even you can make a little mistake..
    True.

But after watching that video again, I think Obama jumped the gun a little, which threw Roberts off. But I liked the flub. It was a light moment along with Lowery's speech.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    True.

But after watching that video again, I think Obama jumped the gun a little, which threw Roberts off. But I liked the flub. It was a light moment along with Lowery's speech.
    I liked Obama's flub - it shows that the man is human without looking like a robotic monkey (Dubya). It endears him to the public. Nobody really expects perfection.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Its a oath of office, not a magic spell. not every word had to be perfect or it won't work. shit happens.

are people really talking about this at the today at work? that makes me love my office. we have way more fun stuff going on
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Default Obam re-takes oath of office today

Do-over: Obama retakes oath of office - White House- msnbc.com

MSNBC.com

Do-over: Obama retakes oath of office
    President stumbled after Chief Justice John Roberts blundered

The Associated Press
    updated 5:47 p.m. PT, Wed., Jan. 21, 2009

WASHINGTON - After the flub heard around the world, President Barack Obama has taken the oath of office. Again. Chief Justice John Roberts delivered the oath to Obama on Wednesday night at the White House — a rare do-over.

The surprise moment came in response to Tuesday's much-noticed stumble, when Roberts got the words of the oath a little off, which prompted Obama to do so, too.

Don't worry, the White House says: Obama has still been president since noon on Inauguration Day.

Nevertheless, Obama and Roberts went through the drill again out of what White House counsel Greg Craig called "an abundance of caution."

A quieter setting
    This time, the scene was the White House Map Room in front of a small group of reporters, not the Capitol platform before the whole watching world.

"We decided that because it was so much fun ...," Obama joked to reporters who followed press secretary Robert Gibbs into the room. No TV camera crews or news photographers were allowed in.

Roberts put on his black robe.

"Are you ready to take the oath?" he said.

"Yes, I am," Obama said. "And we're going to do it very slowly."

Roberts then led Obama through the oath without any missteps.

The president said he did not have his Bible with him, but that the oath was binding anyway.

The original, bungled version on Tuesday caught observers by surprise and then got replayed on cable news shows.

It happened when Obama interrupted Roberts midway through the opening line, in which the president repeats his name and solemnly swears.

Next in the oath is the phrase " ... that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States." But Roberts rearranged the order of the words, not saying "faithfully" until after "president of the United States."

Obama thrown off
    That appeared to throw Obama off. He stopped abruptly at the word "execute."

Recognizing something was off, Roberts then repeated the phrase, putting "faithfully" in the right place but without repeating "execute."

But Obama then repeated Roberts' original, incorrect version: "... the office of president of the United States faithfully."

Craig, the White House lawyer, said in a statement Wednesday evening: "We believe the oath of office was administered effectively and that the president was sworn in appropriately yesterday. Yet the oath appears in the Constitution itself. And out of the abundance of caution, because there was one word out of sequence, Chief Justice John Roberts will administer the oath a second time."

The Constitution is clear about the exact wording of the oath and as a result, some constitutional experts have said that a do-over probably wasn't necessary but also couldn't hurt. Two other previous presidents have repeated the oath because of similar issues, Calvin Coolidge and Chester A. Arthur.

Article 2, Section 1, Clause 8 of the Constitution states:

"Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: Do-over: Obama retakes oath of office - White House- msnbc.com

MSN Privacy . Legal
    © 2009 MSNBC.com
    You just know some nut out there is still going to jump all over this and claim he's not *really* the president...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information