Thread: Bush basically comes out and says abortion will be illegal.

Thumbs down Bush basically comes out and says abortion will be illegal.

Gee, and I wonder why his supreme court nominee wouldn't answer the question of whether he would uphold Roe Vs. Wade?

President Bush told abortion opponents Monday that they are pursuing "a noble cause" and predicted that their views would prevail eventually.

"We're working to persuade more of our fellow Americans of the rightness of our cause," the president told abortion foes gathered at the foot of Capitol Hill on a chilly, rainy day. He spoke by telephone from Manhattan, Kan., where he gave a speech.

"This is a cause that appeals to the conscience of our citizens and is rooted in America's deepest principles," the president said. "And history tells us that with such a cause we will prevail."

The rally was held to mark the 33rd anniversary of the Roe v. Wade ruling that legalized abortion. Bush has named two justices to the Supreme Court, and abortion foes hope someday that the court will reverse its landmark decision on abortion.

Abortion supporters held a rally on Sunday, urging the Senate to reject the nomination of Judge Samuel Alito to succeed Sandra Day O'Connor on the Supreme Court. They held a candlelight vigil in front of the court, waving signs that read: "Alito_No Justice For Women," and "Keep Abortion Legal."

"You believe, as I do, that every human life has value, that the strong have a duty to protect the weak, and that the self-evident truths of the Declaration of Independence apply to everyone, not just to those considered healthy or wanted or convenient," Bush told the abortion foes.

"These principles call us to defend the sick and the dying, persons with disabilities and birth defects, all who are weak and vulnerable, especially unborn children," the president said.

Members of Congress, including Reps. Chris Smith, R-N.J., Mike Pence, R-Ind. and Melissa Hart, R-Pa., addressed the rally in person. They encouraged young people opposed to abortion to run for public office.

"It's time to get off the streets and into the government suites," Smith said.

After the rally on the National Mall, the demonstrators marched to the Capitol and the Supreme Court.

Other rallies were being held across the country.

In St. Paul, Minn., Katie Whitte braved below-freezing temperatures outside the state capitol to march for the first time against abortion.

"This year is special for me because I am a mother out of wedlock," said Whitte, 20, whose daughter is 5 months old. "I wanted to get the message out that life is important. It doesn't matter what your circumstances are."

The nation's high court made abortion legal on Jan. 22, 1973. Thirty- four states have since passed laws requiring parents either to be notified or to give consent when their underage daughters seek abortions.
    Oh really? Well, how about when the pregnancy is endangering the mothers life?? How about when the baby will be so malformed and so terribly handicapped that even being sentient will be beyond its reach?

How can you sit there, and pontificate on the sanctity of life and all that other bullshit, and then support a party who started 2 illegal wars and has killed upwards of 100,000 people?

How can you say "right to life!" except slash programs and funding for single mothers so there's no WAY IN HELL they could afford raising this child at all?

Right to life ends at birth, I take it? After that, you're on your own. Then its ship em off to war to kill and be killed?

Where the fuck is the sense in that? God, why don't conservatives THINK for a change?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Default Re: Chimpy McSmirkface basically comes out and says abortion will be illegal.

It really amazes me how conseratives are so hypocritical on the "pro-life" issue. They want to illegalize abortion because it's "murder", but they never touch upon the fact that they are with a party that supports the Iraqi war and pro-gun usage.

IMO if abortion in this country were illegal, then methods of alternative abortions (ie: dangerous and unsafe abortions) would rise and the women who got these methods would die or be severly injured. The right-wing never thinks through an issue.

Default Re: Bush basically comes out and says abortion will be illegal.

Apparently pro-lifers shooting and murdering OB/GYN's in their homes with their families is not considered a waste of human life.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Quote Originally Posted by suede
    Apparently pro-lifers shooting and murdering OB/GYN's in their homes with their families is not considered a waste of human life.
    I'm doubtful all pro-lifers would agree that is okay to do. Rather radical thinking and to lump them all in is sterotyping.

***Shivering in corner just thinking of this actually happening**

Quote Originally Posted by a_dogs_life
    I'm doubtful all pro-lifers would agree that is okay to do. Rather radical thinking and to lump them all in is sterotyping.
    That's the point.

You can't lump all Pro Choice people and all Pro Life together but that is just what happens politically.

One can be Pro Choice but not necessarily pro abortion - know what I mean?

I'm Pro Choice but I feel pretty strongly against the irresponsible sexual practices that go on and add to that the horrible example the more in the limelight (ie famous people) peers set for young people.

It's not ok to use abortion as birthcontrol but banning abortion isn't a solution to the problem either, if there even was a solution.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo
    How about putting your personal opinions aside and letting a woman decide what happens to HER body?? Guess nobody gives a shit about that.

(to clarify: nobody = pro lifers)
    Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mushy
    Why do you waste time focusing on who said this (George Bush) rather than the issue itself? I, personally, am strongly pro-choice. However, I don't get up in arms over the fact that Pres. Bush says he thinks abortion should be illegal. In fact, I expect it. How could you not? And really, I don't care. Try not to view the issue through what he says.
    The issue presented is that Chimpy thinks it should be illegal, and so does that uneducated twerp who got herself knocked up without thinking of the ramifications of what she did, on TOP of giving a vacuous answer that didn't solve jack shit, but sounds good to religious fundies who don't think issues through and who's preferred party seems to think that 'right to life' ends at birth.

Hypocritical.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thread Information