Thread: Surprise: media censors gay bishop prayer at inaugural event

Thumbs down Surprise: media censors gay bishop prayer at inaugural event

After days of controversy and outrage from the religious right, openly gay Episcopal Bishop Gene Robinson opened Barack Obama's inauguration concert on the National Mall today with a request that the nation pray for "understanding that our president is a human being and not a messiah."

But only the people AT the concert heard that, because HBO did not televise Robinson's message. Who engineered this blackout of Robinson? I suspect we'll hear lots about this in days to come.

UPDATE: The 7PM rebroadcast of the show was identical, no Gene Robinson.

Joe. My. God.: No Bishop Gene Robinson On HBO Inaugural Concert Broadcast
    Apparently nobody else carried it either. Apparently at the event, when Robinson went to speak, the speakers cut out. Nobody heard what he said.

They also failed to mention the gay men's chorus, despite mentioning every other one like the Navy Glee Club.

How much do you want to bet this doesn't happen to that shitbag bigot Warren when he's on stage?

Anyway, here's Robinson's prayer. No wonder they cut it. Can't talk about the gays when the rethugs might be listening, im sure.

Opening Inaugural Event
    Lincoln Memorial, Washington, DC
    January 18, 2009

Welcome to Washington! The fun is about to begin, but first, please join me in pausing for a moment, to ask God’s blessing upon our nation and our next president.

O God of our many understandings, we pray that you will…

Bless us with tears – for a world in which over a billion people exist on less than a dollar a day, where young women from many lands are beaten and raped for wanting an education, and thousands die daily from malnutrition, malaria, and AIDS.

Bless us with anger – at discrimination, at home and abroad, against refugees and immigrants, women, people of color, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people.

Bless us with discomfort – at the easy, simplistic “answers” we’ve preferred to hear from our politicians, instead of the truth, about ourselves and the world, which we need to face if we are going to rise to the challenges of the future.

Bless us with patience – and the knowledge that none of what ails us will be “fixed” anytime soon, and the understanding that our new president is a human being, not a messiah.

Bless us with humility – open to understanding that our own needs must always be balanced with those of the world.

Bless us with freedom from mere tolerance – replacing it with a genuine respect and warm embrace of our differences, and an understanding that in our diversity, we are stronger.

Bless us with compassion and generosity – remembering that every religion’s God judges us by the way we care for the most vulnerable in the human community, whether across town or across the world.

And God, we give you thanks for your child Barack, as he assumes the office of President of the United States.

Give him wisdom beyond his years, and inspire him with Lincoln’s reconciling leadership style, President Kennedy’s ability to enlist our best efforts, and Dr. King’s dream of a nation for ALL the people.

Give him a quiet heart, for our Ship of State needs a steady, calm captain in these times.

Give him stirring words, for we will need to be inspired and motivated to make the personal and common sacrifices necessary to facing the challenges ahead.

Make him color-blind, reminding him of his own words that under his leadership, there will be neither red nor blue states, but the United States.

Help him remember his own oppression as a minority, drawing on that experience of discrimination, that he might seek to change the lives of those who are still its victims.

Give him the strength to find family time and privacy, and help him remember that even though he is president, a father only gets one shot at his daughters’ childhoods.

And please, God, keep him safe. We know we ask too much of our presidents, and we’re asking FAR too much of this one. We know the risk he and his wife are taking for all of us, and we implore you, O good and great God, to keep him safe. Hold him in the palm of your hand – that he might do the work we have called him to do, that he might find joy in this impossible calling, and that in the end, he might lead us as a nation to a place of integrity, prosperity and peace.
    Last edited by Grimmlok; January 18th, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Default Re

What an excellent prayer. I hope he will be a spiritual advisor of sorts to Obama, instead of that fuckwad Warren.

His invocation was about 10/15 minutes before the start of the show. I don't know why.

I wouldn't say the speakers cut out. They had to turn them up during his invocation. The volume level (at least where I was) was still at the pre-show entertainment level, not ready for the live microphones. Everyone was yelling "Turn it up!" or "Louder! Louder!" until the volume was raised.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Also, I'm not sure that they announced where all of the choirs were from. I remember they mentioned the Navy Glee Club (but the announcer didn't mention Renee Fleming for that number).
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

That's too bad they cut it out.

It is too bad someone who was invited to speak was not given proper respect. What he said should have been heard.

wellity wellity wellity.. seems HBO wasn't behind the decision to cut Robinson out. Team Failbama strikes again!

Not what we needed 24 hours before the chimp gets shown the door. Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited that Bush is leaving and that Obama is getting sworn in. I'm just growing a bit weary of "mistakes" that keep sending the message that some Obama supporters are less worthy than others.

Sunday afternoon, HBO televised the Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial — a concert planned by the Presidential Inauguration Committee — to kick off the festivities surrounding Obama's inauguration on Tuesday.

Openly gay bishop Gene Robinson delivered the opening prayer before the start of the concert, but the prayer was not included as part of HBO's broadcast.

Contacted Sunday night by AfterElton.com concerning the exclusion of Robinson's prayer, HBO said via email, "The producer of the concert has said that the Presidential Inaugural Committee made the decision to keep the invocation as part of the pre-show."

Uncertain as to whether or not that meant that HBO was contractually prevented from airing the pre-show, we followed up, but none of the spokespeople available Sunday night could answer that question with absolute certainty.

However, it does seem that the network's position is that they had nothing to do with the decision.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

So if HBO decided not to air it, how is it Obama's fault?

the Presidential Inaugural Committee made the decision to keep the invocation as part of the pre-show."
    They told HBO not to.

Obama and fam as well as Biden didn't show up till after said little prayer was over anyway. The guy was paying to a bunch of empty seats. Classy.

Oh, my bad. That is pretty shitty.

So, both parties are to blame. HBO did not have to "censor" anything, regardless of what it was asked to do. Asking and forcing are two different things.

The Inaugural Committee is wrong in that it lost its backbone and caved to the pressure not to create a media firestorm and backlash, even if the it was just a precautionary move.

Honestly, I would hate to be one in the position. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Uhhuh.

this is the real kicker:

Uncertain as to whether or not that meant that HBO was contractually prevented from airing the pre-show, we followed up, but none of the spokespeople available Sunday night could answer that question with absolute certainty.
    I'm sure they'll get right on that.

and backlash? From who, the dipshit fundie retards who don't support obama anyway?

This wasn't ANY old person and it wasn't ANY old occassion and it wasn't ANY old time. This was the FIRST openly gay bishop in the world, this was the FIRST openly gay person to speak at an inaugural event, this was the FIRST openly gay faith leader to lead a prayer at a national event, and it was supposed to be the BALANCE to the anti-gay Rick Warren in an event that is being billed as bringing people of different views together.

So far the anti-gay representitives are being well represented and I have no doubt that they will get full television coverage on ALL networks covering the event. So the lesson here is:

first black this or that, news worthy

first woman this or that, news worthy

first latino the other thing, news worthy

fifteen millionth anti-gay pastor on a national stage, news worthy

first out gay religious preacher man to do anything at this event? NOT newsworthy and anyone upset about it should sit down and STFU.

It's amazing that every step of this Rick Warren fuck job the gay community has been told that they are over reacting, that NOTHING is nefarious, and that they should shut up and be grateful for all the times that Obama has said the word "gay" in a speech. Even after this slight there are all these "progressives" here who see nothing whatsoever amiss.

Hit By Ban Bus!

My God. He's acting just like every other Dem by playing to the right-wing base instead of his own.

Um, Hello Grim. I know this doesn't happen very often, so you may not have noticed, but, I am agreeing with you. Both HBO and the IC are to blame for this.

Either both Robinson and Warren should have been relegated to the pre-show or both should have been allowed to speak during the show. Personally, I would have chosen to have them both speak during the pre-show, but that has nothing to do with sexuality. I just have a serious disdain for organized religion and would prefer not to hear the ranting.

HBO, as a media source, should not have bowed to the wishes. The IC should never had asked that be done. Both parties should have to explain why they felt this behavior was acceptable, then told why it wasn't and be forced to stand in the shitstorm that follows. No umbrellas.

Free speech for everyone.

Bishop Robinson is owed a public apology from both entities. As far as I am concerned, Rick Warren is much more controversial and dangerous. Even as fundies go, he is extreme.

Since no one wants God in government, just ban all religious speakers from any government sanctioned function. If the fundies want to complain, let them hold their own private ones.

Uh oh, seems a war is brewing between Planet Obama and the HBO brigade:

HBO says it was Obama. Obama throws it back at HBO in this statement I just received:

We had always intended and planned for Rt. Rev. Robinson’s invocation to be included in the televised portion of yesterday’s program. We regret the error in executing this plan – but are gratified that hundreds of thousands of people who gathered on the mall heard his eloquent prayer for our nation that was a fitting start to our event.” -- PIC communications director Josh Earnest

At least the Obama people think it important enough to weigh in, and that's a good thing. A lot of good people were disappointed by this.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    Given the track record so far on this stuff, i'm not giving Planet Obama the benefit of the doubt especially considering him and his spawn didn't show up till way after the little prayer, and robinson wasn't even mentioned in the program, and the sound died when he gave his speech so nobody there really heard him either...

*watches with interest*
    Last edited by Grimmlok; January 19th, 2009 at 02:46 PM.

Thread Information