Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Ultra Liberal' Barack Obama too conservative for Canada :P

Wink 'Ultra Liberal' Barack Obama too conservative for Canada :P

Too conservative for Canada?
    By BILL TIELEMAN - January 13, 2009

Imagine where a Canadian politician who held the following positions would fit in our political system:

This politician opposes legalizing same-sex marriages.

He has no problem with citizens owning handguns - but proposed limiting their purchase - to one per month.

This politician wants to send thousands more troops to Afghanistan - and to keep them there for years instead of withdrawing them in 2011.

He thinks Robert Gates, U.S. President George W. Bush's Secretary of Defence, has done an excellent job in the Iraq war.

The politician is willing to restrict late-term abortions for women and admits he's not sure at what point a human being gets human rights.

So who did he choose to deliver a prayer before a major political event?

A controversial fundamentalist Christian pastor who has called abortion "a holocaust" and who campaigned in California for the successful Proposition 8, which bans gay marriages.

This politician has described government-run public health care as "an extreme" that leads to high taxes and is "wrong" while supporting private health insurance as the best option.

And despite saying that he has done more than anybody to "take on lobbyists and won" - this politician just appointed one to a top position.

So, where would you place this politician on the Canadian political scene?

An elected representative with these policies that are so obviously way out of line with Canadian mainstream values and popular opinion would likely lead a fringe party far to the right of Conservative Prime Minister Stephen Harper, with little hope of political success.

But in the United States - his name is President-Elect Barack Obama.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    Told you guys yer system of 'left and right' was wonky lol
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Totally right on Grim - Barack Obama, right wing bastard, lol.

hes still better than the other guy

If Obama is considered 'too conservative' for Canada then that says more about Canada than it does Obama.

Maybe Canada is just too liberal?

The right to bear arms and not allowing abortion at 39 weeks, 6 days, 23 hours, and 59 minutes is too conservative?

I'll stay right here, tyvm.

^^^^
    or maybe the US isn't the centre of the universe and it's the one with a skewed political scale?

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    If Obama is considered 'too conservative' for Canada then that says more about Canada than it does Obama.
    not really. it's the US' left-right scale that is skewed way to the right compared to canada, europe, australia, new zealand and, you know, the rest of the world...
    and i have nothing against obama i just think it's laughable that in the US he's considered on the left.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The left and the right leave a lot of people in a gray area. Sadly, what the media promotes is a two sided existence. Many of us don't qualify for either. I'm too liberal to ever be a republican. Most ultra liberals would label me conservative, which I am not.

The face of government is going to chance, albeit slowly, because too many people are breaking away from their chosen party, due to the parties becoming excessively skewed one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    or maybe the US isn't the centre of the universe and it's the one with a skewed political scale?

not really. it's the US' left-right scale that is skewed way to the right compared to canada, europe, australia, new zealand and, you know, the rest of the world...

and i have nothing against obama i just think it's laughable that in the US he's considered on the left.
    Well, he is a lefty for US politics, but it's very true that Canada, Europe, et al are far more "liberal" than the US. I don't know that I would call Obama an "ultra liberal" though. Dennis Kucinich is definitely ultra liberal or anyone in the Green party. Obama is more like left of center.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    No one ever said the US was the center of the Universe. The US isn't asking for the world's attention, so why do so many countries seem to have their noses permanently glued into our business?

Maybe the US isn't too conservative. Maybe other places are just too liberal?

Too liberal? Is there such a thing?

and yes, the US is way too conservative. Ridiculously so. Not as much as, say, some crazy assed middle eastern countries, but the religious component is almost there.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Not if it means giving everyone what they want, regardless of what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Too liberal? Is there such a thing?

and yes, the US is way too conservative. Ridiculously so. Not as much as, say, some crazy assed middle eastern countries, but the religious component is almost there.
    America is crazy.
    I have alot of american friends, and no disrespect to them, but I'd never want to live in America. You cant even sneeze without offending anyone...so much political correctness...and alot of other things that would drive me mad...like how there is a TV ad every 5 minutes...

Yes, because that happens anywhere. Everybody gets what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Yes, because that happens anywhere. Everybody gets what they want.
    I want a lot of things that I dont get...

I thought the article was more about getting to a more universal definition of 'conservative/liberal' rather than arguing the value of either of these systems.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information