Thread: Sarah Palin can't even run Alaska, people are freezing and eating babies or some shit

Red face Sarah Palin can't even run Alaska, people are freezing and eating babies or some shit

AMERICAblog reader Karen sent in a story that if it's true, is just abominable. If Alaska Governor Sarah Palin can't feed her own people - perhaps she can sell a few clothes - then the federal government should step in. We should not be reading these kind of news stories in America.

A combination of extreme cold and high fuel prices has created a humanitarian crisis for the village of Emmonak, according to resident Nicholas Tucker.

In a letter sent out as a cry for help, Tucker describes economic conditions in which families are rationing food and warmth for themselves and their children in the Southwest Alaska village of 800.

The situation could easily worsen — extreme cold that arrived early this winter and stuck around means heating fuel must soon be flown in, which residents fear will push the price from $7.83 per gallon to $9 a gallon or more.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    Say it ain't so! YOU BETCHA! Stupid whore.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Don't you remember that McCain said she's one of (if the not THE) country's top energy experts? She can solve this with her massive brainpower and gosh-darnit-know-how.

Elite Member

She'll be a maverick and find a mavericky way to get the solution. And also the great Ronald Reagan.

Looks like others are stepping up with cash to help the families and to hire someone to report on this:

If you didn’t get the opportunity to hear Nick Tucker talk to CC on KUDO, he had a message for all those who have stepped up to help rural Alaskans who are having to make the choice of whether to keep their children and elders warm, or fed.

“It’s a blessed day. It’s like angels have landed on Earth.”

He also went on to say that he thought the governor should have been the first to respond. “We’ve called and left messages and they haven’t called back. We’re not the only ones here.”

He is referring to the fact that there are many many rural villages, which are hurting but silent.

“I don’t want to see another 1-year old without milk, and the family has to walk house to house to find milk. That’s uncalled for. And elders trying to find a can of milk for the day.” Then Tucker broke down as he related what one man had told him. “I’d rather go without food as long as my wife and children eat, and I’ll share whatever I have left with my brother and his son.”

This story goes and the need for help goes far beyond the borders of Emmonak. And the story of how the state government, led by Sarah Palin has botched its handling of this rural emergency that many saw coming, needs to find its way out of the Alaska bush, and into the mainstream media. National coverage will mean more help for more people.

One of our local progressive media heroes, Dennis Zaki of The Alaska Report, is stepping up trying to raise money to get to Emmonak and other villages to put a camera where it needs to be. Many national and international media outlets are interested in seeing footage. Flights are not inexpensive, and he’ll be traveling on his own dime. If you want to help put a spotlight on this issue as it relates to Emmonak and ALL Alaska’s rural villages in crisis, consider donating with the Paypal button below. Any surplus Dennis receives above the $2000 travel costs will be delivered via check directly to the village.

A final word from Nick Tucker, “Thank you. I am choking, and tears are coming out of my eyes. You are giving us hope.”
    The Mudflats » Hope Coming to Emmonak and Beyond?

as a sidenote, where else would tears be coming out of?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Fake babies?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    as a sidenote, where else would tears be coming out of?
    Ha! Good point. I think he's a Native Alaskan, so he's probably bilingual and uses some rhetorical phrases that may sound a little odd in English.

It also might sound more manly than "I'm crying like a baby." His eyes are leaking, but no sobbing is involved.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

The Rural Alaska fuel problem has been going on for awhile. Palin has basically ignored it completely. Big surprise! Hugo Chavez (yes, that guy from Venezuela!) has stated that he will send free heating oil to Alaska Natives.
    Bush Alaskans to get Venezuela subsidy after all
    REVERSAL: Venezuela had decided to suspend program for the poor.

Daily News staff, wire reports

(01/07/09 23:20:45)

The Venezuelan government reversed course Wednesday, backing off its statement two days earlier and announcing that its U.S. oil subsidiary would continue to provide free home heating oil.

Alaskans in the Bush immediately cheered the change in plans and said they need the 100 gallons of free heating oil this winter more than ever. In Ambler, Don Williams said the temperature hasn't gotten above minus 40 in two weeks.

Many families, like his, use wood stoves as well as heating oil, but others don't have a wood stove and everyone can use help, given the high cost of fuel, which was running close to $10 a gallon before the village ran out.
    More supplies are expected soon from Fairbanks, Williams said.

Many families in the Kotzebue region took advantage of the program the last two winters and they welcome its continuance this year, said Jackie Hill, administrator for tribal government services at Maniilaq Association, the regional health and social services agency.

In Alaska, it's available to anyone in a community that is more than 70 percent Alaska Native, according to the Alaska Inter-Tribal Council, which manages the program here.

Some people donate their heating fuel vouchers to elders or churches, but very few pass it up entirely, said Hill, who coordinates the program for Kotzebue and 10 surrounding villages, including frigid Ambler.

She heard the news about Citgo's reversal Wednesday afternoon on the radio but hadn't gotten any official word. Everyone will be asking her whether it's really happening, and if so, when, she said.

Some homes aren't well insulated, and for them, 100 gallons will last just a couple of weeks, she said.

"There are people who are just really struggling to keep their houses warm," said Nels Anderson Jr., a former state senator and Native leader in Dillingham. He was disappointed over reports the program was being canceled, and happy to hear about the reversal.

"That saves me over $600," he said, noting that heating fuel was $6.27 a gallon.

He's pushing a proposal by Bethel Sen. Lyman Hoffman for the state to step in and subsidize costs when the price for heating fuel tops $3 a gallon.

Critics of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez had pummeled him since Monday for suspending a program that he had milked for its maximum publicity as a champion of the poor, even in the U.S.

In the wake of Monday's announced halt, analysts had predicted this was only the first of Chavez's ambitious foreign assistance programs that would disappear, given the sharp drop in oil prices and the Venezuelan government's dependence on oil export income.

Venezuelan government officials wasted no time in reinstating the program, which saved about 180,000 U.S. households around $260 apiece in 2008. That covered about one month's heating bill. Prices are much higher in rural Alaska.

Among the beneficiaries of the 100 gallons of heating oil were 65 Native American tribes, including those in Alaska, Montana and South Dakota.

Alejandro Granado, the chairman, president and chief executive officer of Citgo Petroleum, the Venezuelan government's Houston-based oil subsidiary, said he discussed the plan to renew the program with Chavez on Wednesday morning.

The decision "is the result of a strong commitment and a big effort on the part of Citgo and our shareholders in light of the current global financial crisis and its impact on the oil industry in general," Granado said in a press statement.

Venezuelan oil, which is a lower grade than conventional crude and trades at a lower price, peaked at $126 a barrel in July and now sells for about $40 a barrel. About 93 percent of Venezuela's export revenue comes from oil sales, mostly to the U.S.

Granado made his statement in Boston alongside Joseph P. Kennedy II, who's the chairman of Citizens Energy Corp., the Massachusetts-based nonprofit that manages the program.

"Chavez is trying to save face," said Dennis Jett, a former American ambassador who's now a professor of International Affairs at Penn State University. "He decided he needs to hide the fact that he's having a cash crisis."

Brian O'Connor, Citizen Energy's spokesman, said Citgo will serve as many customers in 2009 as the year before but will spend less nationally than last year since oil prices have declined. The program cost Citgo $100 million in 2008.

Daily News reporter Lisa Demer and McClatchy Newspapers reporter Tyler Bridges contributed to this story.

Bush Alaskans to get Venezuela subsidy after all: Rural Alaska | adn.com

Thread Information