Thread: Love or hate him: Al Sharpton denounces anti-gay black mega churches..

Default Love or hate him: Al Sharpton denounces anti-gay black mega churches..

When Rev. Al Sharpton is right the truth cuts like a knife. The reverend once again slams black mega-churches and major denominations for ignoring poverty and justice to focus on gays and marriage.

Sharpton delivered the keynote at the Human Rights Ecumenical Service at Atlanta's Tabernacle Baptist Church, probably the city's largest gay-friendly and inclusive black church. The good reverend used the opportunity to question the role of the Mormon Church—which heavily bankrolled the Yes on 8 campaign—and the black mega-church pastors who mobilized congregations against gay marriage.

"There is something immoral and sick about using all of that power to not end brutality and poverty, but to break into people's bedrooms and claim that God sent you."

"It amazes me when I looked at California and saw churches that had nothing to say about police brutality, nothing to say when a young black boy was shot while he was wearing police handcuffs, nothing to say when they overturned affirmative action, nothing to say when people were being [relegated] into poverty, yet they were organizing and mobilizing to stop consenting adults from choosing their life partners."

"I am tired," he went on, "of seeing ministers who will preach homophobia by day, and then after they're preaching, when the lights are off they go cruising for trade...We know you're not preaching the Bible, because if you were preaching the Bible we would have heard from you. We would have heard from you when people were starving in California--when they deregulated the economy and crashed Wall Street you had nothing to say. When Bush took us to war chasing weapons of mass destruction that weren't there you had nothing to say. But all of a sudden, when Proposition 8 came out, you had so much to say, but since you stepped in the rain, we're going to step in the rain with you."

This is not new for Sharpton. When the reverend ran for president in 2004, he was one of only two candidates to support full marriage equality. In June 2006 he told CNN, "There are no gay people coming to our churches asking to get married. But there are plenty of people coming with problems voting or their sons in jail."

The civil rights activist has never really gotten his due from the mainstream LGBT community or much of the black LGBT community outside the Tri-State. But how fierce is it to have a pastor speaking the truth we know oh-so-well about those anti-gay pastors who rant from the pulpit and "cruise for trade" at night? You'd better work it out, Rev. Al.

by Rod McCullom

Rod 2.0:Beta: Al Sharpton Denounces Anti-Gay Black Mega-Church Pastors
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Well,I'll be darned if I expected this! He spelled it right out.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I hate Al, but he hit the nail on the head. All churches should stay out of people's bedrooms and personal lives and focus on real issues.

But I always find it funny when 'religious people' go off on a rant about other people's alleged sins, while they're doing the same thing, if not worse. The hypocrisy of organized religion.

Elite Member

This time he's exactly right.

There's a well-known minister in Baltimore who ex-wife caught him and several other well-known ministers at their house getting their freak on... She told, to this day it is hush hush. People know, but they act like it never happened and that a few of those other ministers didn't die of AIDS.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

"There is something immoral and sick about using all of that power to not end brutality and poverty, but to break into people's bedrooms and claim that God sent you."

He is a brilliant mind. I have always stood up for him and I always will, because he is one of the most succinct speakers out there, he has an amazing way of saying just the right thing.

I never thought I'd say this, but go Al!

well color me surprised, go Al.

Usually he's something of a douche, too. Hmm.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Damn it, now I'm liking him a little bit!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Right now I am feelin' love for Al.
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

I never thought I would type this, but:

Al is on the money.

I knew at least one gay priest who denounced homosexuality. Pot? Kettle?

Elite Member

Way to go, Al! I'm not his biggest fan, but he's 100% right on this. And even at his worst, Al is miles better than that idiot Jesse Jackson.

Thread Information