Thread: John McCain praises Barack Obama; conservative pundits unsurprisingly apoplectic

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Default John McCain praises Barack Obama; conservative pundits unsurprisingly apoplectic

Reverting to the role of Republican foil that made him an unpopular figure for many conservatives, John McCain argued on Friday that historical circumstances should compel his GOP colleagues to work closely with Barack Obama.

"There are not many times in history," he said, "that a president has come to office with as many challenges as the president-elect does and that's incumbent then upon all of us to try and do all we can to work with him."

Appearing on Fox News for one of the few times since losing the election, McCain offered a supportive assessments of the president-elect's agenda. He acknowledged the need to pass a stimulus, but said he would reserve judgment until he saw the final package.

"All I can say to you is that I want to see the stimulus package I want to see what it does, I want to see what kind of provision it has in it," he told Neil Cavuto. "I think the president-elect is going to marshal public opinion. Right now his approval ratings and hopes of the American people are very high," he later added.

He also called Obama's national security team "excellent," and saved special praise for CIA Director nominee Leon Panetta.

"I think that Leon Panetta is highly qualified, and in all due respect I think it is not bad from time to time to have somebody from outside of the intelligence community but with strong managerial experience as Chief of Staff of the White House, to be head of one of these agencies. I think there is some good balance there."

McCain said he talked with Obama since the election about foreign policy and domestic matters. Calling those conversations "very cordial," he added, "I want to help the president succeed."

It was the type of interview that would make hard-core partisans shake their heads. Not because McCain was overly effusive in his praise -- Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, after all, has said he expects a stimulus bill to pass with wide Republican support -- but because he didn't use the public forum to score any political points for his party.

And, sure enough, in Cavuto's next segment both he and Ann Coulter offered acid-dripped interpretations of the former Republican figurehead's message.

"I had John McCain earlier and he was sort of saying it is our duty now ... to work with the president-elect and presumably support this stimulus measure," Cavuto said. "He seemed to be saying that Republicans could look, you know, like obstructionists if they object to everything that Barack Obama does. What do you make of that?"

"I don't think the Republicans should be taking advice from John McCain," Coulter said. "I don't really know much about what is going on right now because this came out Tuesday, so I don't know the details of the stimulus plan. But I think it is pretty clear from the last election the voters want Republicans to be Republicans."
    McCain: GOP Must Work With Obama

That last comment by Coulter is hilarious. Repugs want WHAT?? She must have misread the results of the election. God, this is fun.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

But I think it is pretty clear from the last election the voters want Republicans to be Republicans."

And I think it is pretty clear most people want the Republicans to be gaone,Anne.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I can't wait until her head actually explodes during one of her live rants on telly.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

"I don't think the Republicans should be taking advice from John McCain," Coulter said. "I don't really know much about what is going on right now because this came out Tuesday, so I don't know the details of the stimulus plan. But I think it is pretty clear from the last election the voters want Republicans to be Republicans."
    One of the Republicans at my job says the exact same thing. He says the problem with the Republicans is that they aren't conservative enough, and that's why they lost.

Plus, I had a good time laughing at him about Palin 'palling' around with a drug dealer. His explanation for it was that Levi's mom wasn't a drug dealer because oxycotin isn't a drug like cocaine, crack or heroin, so it doesn't count. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    One of the Republicans at my job says the exact same thing. He says the problem with the Republicans is that they aren't conservative enough, and that's why they lost.

Plus, I had a good time laughing at him about Palin 'palling' around with a drug dealer. His explanation for it was that Levi's mom wasn't a drug dealer because oxycotin isn't a drug like cocaine, crack or heroin, so it doesn't count. LOL.
    Just like not knowing what you read or not knowing any supreme court rulings or even not knowing what your responsibilities would be if you would be elected Vice President does not make you an idiot right?
    Why would anyone actually like or defend this woman?
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Glitter View Post
    Just like not knowing what you read or not knowing any supreme court rulings or even not knowing what your responsibilities would be if you would be elected Vice President does not make you an idiot right?
    Why would anyone actually like or defend this woman?
    The guy at my job defends Palin because he wants to screw her, even though he's married with two kids. Because he always talks about how 'hot' she is, because he thinks that most female politicians are ugly. Plus, he loves the fact that she's pro-life, like he is.

Whenever I make fun of Palin, he always tells me that 'you just hate her because she's a strong woman.' And then I mention Hillary Clinton, and he twists his face up like he just ate some bad Chinese food. It's hysterical.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    The guy at my job defends Palin because he wants to screw her, even though he's married with two kids. Because he always talks about how 'hot' she is, because he thinks that most female politicians are ugly. Plus, he loves the fact that she's pro-life, like he is.

Whenever I make fun of Palin, he always tells me that 'you just hate her because she's a strong woman.' And then I mention Hillary Clinton, and he twists his face up like he just ate some bad Chinese food. It's hysterical.
    I wonder if he ever did the research? It is a proven fact that abortion rates decline under democratic Presidents.

So he thinks she's hot huh? I agree she is attractive but hot? Damn he must not get out much!

What makes her a strong woman exactly? The fact that she totes around a gun and kills moose? Or the fact that her hubby the first loser was in an organization that wanted to succeed from America and she supporter it and even made a video in support of this organization. Ya, I guess that makes her pretty strong for supporting a terrorist organization.
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

Bronze Member

I love this idea that Republicans lost because they weren't conservative enough.

Perhaps they weren't paying enough to the results of such ideas as;
    • The market will regulate itself.
    • Iraq has WMDs.
    • Putin has a good soul.
    • The government doesn't need to be competent.

Thread Information