Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Blagojevich impeached; 114-1

Default Rod Blagojevich impeached; 114-1

Illinois House impeaches Gov. Rod Blagojevich

By CHRISTOPHER WILLS, Associated Press Writer Christopher Wills, Associated Press Writer 27 mins ago
    Play Video CBS 2 Chicago Blagojevich Closer To Impeachment

AP In this Dec. 19, 2008 file photo, Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich addresses reporters during a news conference

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. The Illinois House voted overwhelmingly Friday to impeach Gov. Rod Blagojevich, an unprecedented action that sets up a Senate trial on whether he should be thrown out for allegedly trying to sell President-elect Barack Obama's vacant Senate seat.

Impeachment required just 60 votes. The final result was 114-1.

Legislators accused the second-term Democratic governor of letting down the people of Illinois by letting ego and ambition drive his decisions.

"It's our duty to clean up the mess and stop the freak show that's become Illinois government," said Rep. Jack D. Franks, a Democrat.
    Blagojevich was arrested Dec. 9 on federal charges that include allegations he schemed to profit from his power to name Obama's replacement in the Senate. The criminal complaint included an FBI agent's sworn affidavit describing wiretaps that caught Blagojevich allegedly talking about what he could get for the seat, how to pressure people into making campaign contributions and more.

That arrest triggered impeachment hearings by a special House committee.

The committee on Thursday unanimously recommended impeachment based on the criminal charges but other allegations as well that Blagojevich expanded a health care program without proper authority, that he circumvented hiring laws to give jobs to political allies, that he spent millions of dollars on foreign flu vaccine that he knew wasn't needed and couldn't be brought into the country.

"The citizens of this state must have confidence that their governor will faithfully serve the people and put their interests before his own," the committee's report said. "It is with profound regret that the committee finds that our current governor has not done so."
    Blagojevich has denied the criminal charges. He criticized the House impeachment process as biased and said a Senate trial would produce a different result.

But he didn't testify before the House impeachment committee and hasn't offered an explanation for the federal charges.

"His silence in this great matter is deafening," said House Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie, a Chicago Democrat.

Illinois House impeaches Gov. Rod Blagojevich - Yahoo! News

Excellent, now just get him out of the office and shut his patsy down.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

the 114-1 is funny. One lone dissenter.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Who was the one guy who voted not to impeach him??

I'd like to know the reasoning of the one hold out. Was he paid off?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

He looks like an inbred John Travolta.

Gee, it's a good thing Obama and the senate dems agreed to seat his patsy

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I'd like to know the reasoning of the one hold out. Was he paid off?
    Wouldn't surprise me...

The lone holdout in the Illinois House of Representatives' 114-1 vote to impeach Gov. Rod Blagojevich was Rep. Milton Patterson, a Chicago Democrat from the Southwest Side whose office is on West 63rd Street. After the vote, he said he didn't feel it was his job to vote to impeach the governor. Asked whether he thought Blagojevich has been a good governor, he said, "I have no comment on that." Asked his vote should be taken as a defense of the governor, he said, "I'm not defending anybody."

Patterson said he wasn't comfortable with voting "yes" on impeachment. "I think the committee did an excellent job in the report, it was just there was not enough for me to feel comfortable with a decision to do that. ... I did not feel comfortable voting based upon what I heard and read, simple as that."
    Asked whether he expected a backlash from his constituents, Patterson said, "I have no idea."
    "I read the report," he said. "If the government is going to indict him, let them go ahead and do that. ... That's their job, and I'm doing my job."
    Asked whether he believed the evidence, he said, "I went by my own gut feeling, as simple as that, sir, that's all I can say."

Lone holdout in 114-1 vote is Rep. Patterson - Chicago Breaking News

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Gee, it's a good thing Obama and the senate dems agreed to seat his patsy

They had no choice,Grimm. Before this,he was a sitting Governor. He had to be seated! Impeaching makes it different. They couldn't stop it before.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The senate can refuse to seat anybody it wants, they caved because Obama pressured them.. not that they don't cave for anything else anyway. Obama did a complete 180. 9 days ago he didn't want the guy seated. Now he is, and blago gets impeached, and they look retarded.

Another fail for failbama. He's not starting off well at all.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hmmmmmm, I'm so happy they threw their trash out
    "the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone"

He's still the sitting gov.

Impeachment is just a legal statement of charges, like an indictment.

Clinton was impeached, but not removed from office
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    They had no choice,Grimm. Before this,he was a sitting Governor. He had to be seated! Impeaching makes it different. They couldn't stop it before.
    Exactly. The law was on Burris' side. And the Dems had nothing to gain from not seating Burris', but a lot to lose. It was a losing battle that they weren't going to win.

I love America when the political process actually works. You all can't imagine how impossible it would be in so many other places, to charge and remove a politician for corruption.

There is hope for this country yet.

he hasn't been removed, it's basically just saying "this guy did something wrong"

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Another fail for failbama. He's not starting off well at all.
    Are you serious, being sarcastic, or just being that big of a jerk?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information