Thread: Obama team tells Howard Dean he's not welcome at inauguration..wtf?

Thumbs down Obama team tells Howard Dean he's not welcome at inauguration..wtf?

There is a real problem when Joe Lieberman is treated better than Howard Dean.

Sam at Huffington Post reports:

Barack Obama is set to host a press conference with incoming Democratic National Committee Chair Tim Kaine on Thursday in what will ostensibly mark the beginning of a new era for the party and the committee.

Noticeably absent from the affair will be the individual who symbolized the old regime.

Former Gov. Howard Dean is not on the list of attendees for the event, a noticeable nonattendance for someone largely credited with revitalizing the Democratic Party ranks and contributing - whether politically or through his 50-State Strategy - to major electoral gains.

In fact, AP reports that Obama's people told Dean he wasn't welcome:

But Democrats with knowledge of the situation, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to avoid angering the Obama team, say Dean won't attend the event at the request of Obama advisers.

This is part of a growing theme of poorly managed relations by the Obama people - or worse, outright vendettas with good Democrats who deserve better. I really worry that Obama is starting to create a good deal of bad blood on the Democratic side of the aisle, and unnecessarily. And as I always try to explain, it doesn't matter if some of you think its petty that people are feeling slighted. The fact remains that important, powerful people are feeling slighted - are being slighted - and the list is growing. And that does not bode well for the future of Obama's agenda in this town. At some point you need more than the minority party on your side to achieve victory.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    I'm starting to lose count of the vastly stupid things team failbama is doing on a weekly basis.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Bronze Member

Maybe Dean should campaign against Obama to get some real respect.

While that's dumb to snub Dean, I wonder what the backstory is?

Friday, Jan. 9, 2009 13:10 EST
    Is Obama deliberately snubbing Dean?

Politico's Jonathan Martin has an interesting article today about Howard Dean's absence from the announcement of Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine as Barack Obama's choice to take over the Democratic National Committee.

As noted in this space yesterday, the outgoing chair wasn't at the event because of a scheduling commitment -- specifically, he was working in American Samoa. But Dean insiders are angry; they see the timing as a snub. Martin quotes one as saying, "The snub today was no accident. I guarantee you he would have rescheduled his trip if asked to attend. Its easy to [screw] over people when you are riding high in the polls, let's see how many people are singing his praises in six months."

Dean insiders say they're puzzled by what they see as the poor treatment accorded to the man who led the Democrats back to power, Martin reports. "Its the most puzzling thing Ive ever seen in my life,a Dean friend told Martin. I have tried my best through [Obama advisers] Valerie Jarrett, David Axelrod and David Plouffe to ask if he ever committed some crime. I dont get it. Hes been a good soldier.

They attribute the situation to Obama's new chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel. The two men clashed over strategy for taking back Congress in 2006. But people close to Emanuel are denying there's any trouble. "I talk to Rahm every day, one friend of his said. "Neither he nor I have mentioned the name of Howard Dean. Its just not on his radar screen... Rahm never stabs you in the back. He stabs you in front. But I promise that this was accidental."
    ― Alex Koppelman

Is Obama deliberately snubbing Dean? - War Room - Salon.com

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

This has been debunked.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Exactly. Tempest in a pot of tea.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

No it hasn't, there are 2 sides to the story and they arent agreeing.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Am I missing something? The title of the thread says it's about the inauguration, but all I'm reading is that Dean wasn't at the press conference when the new chairperson of the DNC was announced.

I think this is one of those little things that is getting blown out of proportion.

Thread Information