Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama caves on Roland Burris, tells Harry Reid to cave, caves to Repubs on stimulus

Question Obama caves on Roland Burris, tells Harry Reid to cave, caves to Repubs on stimulus

So now, a week after Obama, Reid and Durbin said there was no way they'd let Blagojevich appoint Obama's successor, Obama calls Reid and tells him to appoint the guy Blago picked, and Reid and Durbin capitulate. While some are saying that this episode shows what a tough guy Obama really is - successfully telling Harry Reid how to run the Senate - I'm not sure anyone came away from this one smelling like a rose.

Obama, Reid and Durbin laid a line down in the sand, the Illinois governor gayly stepped across it, and ORD blinked (and while Obama blinked to Blago and Burris, Reid and Durbin earn extra points for blinking to Obama as well). The congressional Democrats have a long history of capitulating to Bush and the Republicans, after initially talking tough. But for Obama, this is new, and starting to suggest yet another trend (the first trend being an ongoing fixation with dissing major Democrats and democratic consituencies). Earlier this week Obama gave nearly half the stimulus plan away to the Republicans in order to woo their votes, even if in so doing he gutted his own plan, and more importantly, watered down the impact the stimulus bill could have in saving our economy. And now we have Roland Burris - a bit player, to be sure - but one about whom Obama was quick to take a harsh public stand, only to subsequently cave.

The Republicans are watching and learning, to the tune of $300bn already. And that, I fear, is only the beginning.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    it's getting lamer by the day.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

This pisses me off.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I hate that the Dems caved, but they had no choice. They were in a no-win situation. If they dragged this out then they look bad, and if they seat Burris they look bad. Blagojevich knew exactly what kind of corner he was painting them into when he picked Burris.

Drag it out? All they had to do was refuse to seat the guy.

For the stimulus, the Rethugs were going to filibuster, the Dems should have let them stand up there for 3 days and read from a fucking phonebook.

All they fucking do is cave like spineless wimps. They control the entire gov, and they STILL CAVE

it's mindboggling
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Yes but the Democratic Senators realized that the visual of all those white guys refusing to seat the only black guy was not going to play well.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Yes but the Democratic Senators realized that the visual of all those white guys refusing to seat the only black guy was not going to play well.
    The guy was appointed by a corrupt asshole, who cares if he's black? And Obama is not a "white guy"

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

For the stimulus, the Rethugs were going to filibuster, the Dems should have let them stand up there for 3 days and read from a fucking phonebook.

All they fucking do is cave like spineless wimps. They control the entire gov, and they STILL CAVE

it's mindboggling
    Because with Obama gone there are no other black senators, which is why Blagojevich picked Burris to begin with. Like Scooter said it would be a bad visual to have an all-white senate refusing to seat the one black senator. And the Dems were already under pressure from civil rights and community leaders to seat Burris, and were told that if they didn't seat him they wouldn't get support in the next election.

The entire situation is a clusterfuck. But from what I'm hearing the Dems may have hammered out a deal with Burris that they'll seat him, just as long as he promises not to run in 2010.

Elite Member

That's what I hear, too. Who knows if that is what will actually happen, though.

Elite Member

How did Obama cave?

Obama didn't say anything about not seating Burris.

Bronze Member

They probably figured the political and opportunity cost of not seating him was higher than seating him and telling him to STFU.

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    How did Obama cave?

Obama didn't say anything about not seating Burris.
    Yes, he did:

"Roland Burris is a good man and a fine public servant, but the Senate Democrats made it clear weeks ago that they cannot accept an appointment made by a governor who is accused of selling this very Senate seat. I agree with their decision," the president-elect said in a statement.
    Battle Lines Drawn Over Blago Nominee, Obama, Senate Dems Blast Move To Appoint Former State AG To Senate Seat; Congressman Warns Not To Obstruct It - CBS News

From 'They cannot accept' to accepting 8 it days later...... I hope they plan on being a little tougher when it comes to taking a stand on serious stuff....
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Why can't Rahm Emanuel be president? He doesn't cave to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

it's mindboggling
    Legally they had no chice BUT to seat him.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Again, for the 100th time, the senate can refuse to seat anybody it wants. 9 days ago they weren't going to, then they did a 180 because of pressure from Obama.

Obama now looks like a moron.

How is this Obama's fault? He didn't create this situation with Burris. Blagojevich did. And like most of the Dems he didn't want to seat anybody that Blagojevich selected.

But the law is on Burris' side. You can't fight that. And to drag this situation out doesn't do anyone any good, especially since the Dems would lose the battle eventually. And since the Dems don't have that filibuster-proof majority they can't afford to just throw away potential senators.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information