Thread: Bill Clinton asks for money for Barack Obama inauguration

Default Bill Clinton asks for money for Barack Obama inauguration

Bill Clinton Asks for Money for Barack Obama Inauguration

When Barack Obama nominated Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton to be his Secretary of State, he got more than a new member of his cabinet — he also got her husband, former President Bill Clinton, a k a the fundraiser in chief.

Mr. Clinton has just sent out his first solicitation letter for Mr. Obama’s inauguration. The former president notes that he is an honorary co-chair of the inaugural committee and says he is asking for money to help in “making the inauguration a great success.”

The letter from Mr. Clinton comes amid rising complaints on the Internet of donor fatigue. Even some of Mr. Obama’s strongest supporters say they are wearying of the solicitations. In an open letter on the Huffington Post, Abe Silk writes that he is “way over this thing.”

“So,” he asks, “why, why, why for the love of God are you still sending me e-mails asking me to give you money? Seriously, I got one on December 30th and January 6th. You guys really want me to donate 25 dollars ‘to make the inauguration a success?’ What on earth does that even mean?”

The committee has raised more than $27 million, most of it in single checks of $50,000 and $25,000, and has a goal of between $40 million and $45 million. The inaugural is likely to be the most expensive ever but will also include events for the public in what the inaugural committee calls the most open and accessible inauguration in modern times.

Linda Douglass, a spokeswoman for the committee, says it is on track to meet its fund-raising goal. She did not have a breakdown of donations from small donors but said that many people donate without being solicited because they are inspired by the goal to make the inauguration accessible.

She also said that the committee’s online store, which sells inaugural paraphernalia, is doing a “robust” business, with 6,000 people having bought items ranging in price from $2 to $400.

Mr. Clinton’s fund-raising letter is essentially the same one sent out earlier under the signature of David Plouffe, Mr. Obama’s campaign manager.

The second letter, like the first, offers the chance to win one of 10 free trips to Washington for the inauguration.

“If you contribute $5 or more to the Inaugural Committee today, you could be selected,” the Clinton letter says. At another point it says: “Make a contribution, and you and your guest could receive a ticket to history.”

In a P.S., the letter clarifies that you don’t have to make a donation to be eligible to win a trip; you can also write a response to the question of what the inauguration means to you.

The committee yesterday announced its first winner of the contest, Cynthia Russell, a homebuilder from Newberry, Fla., who wrote a short essay about the hard times in the homebuilding business _ and who also sent in $20. Ms. Douglass said the committee had received several entries without donations.

Ms. Russell appeared on NBC’s “Today” show today. The release of one winner at a time and the surrounding publicity seem intended to heighten awareness that ordinary citizens and small donors — not just fat cats — are participating in inaugural events.

Bill Clinton Asks for Money for Obama Inauguration - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

the 'most expensive inauguration ever' is taking place while we are being told we face the worst financial crisis in American history. Is this the best way to show solidarity with the people who they keep telling us are suffering, and that things will only get worse. American politicians take the cake for standing, running or jumping gall. Eat cake peasants......
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I heard about this on the news the other day. At this point, there's no need to ask people for more money.

Yeah, because this is really what matters.

Obama, you won. Do you really need to be paraded through the streets on a chariot? Just get to work.

Thanks,

Planet Earth.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

I was thinking about all the hoopla surrounding any inauguration. I think it's just a waste of money. I say they should inaugurate Obama/Biden, have Obama give his speech, and have a parade featuring high school bands from every state. For the evening, all the networks could show a gala of some sort, similiar to the Kennedy Center Honors. That's it. There's no sense in spending $45M on one day.

Bronze Member

Well, obviously if they don''t have enough money, they'll fail the inauguration by accidentally swearing in Rod Blagoveich as the new President...

Thread Information