Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medical correspondent, Sanjay Gupta, Surgeon General?

Default Medical correspondent, Sanjay Gupta, Surgeon General?

CNN says President-elect Barack Obama has approached its medical correspondent, Sanjay Gupta, to be the country's next surgeon general.

The cable news network said Tuesday that it has kept Gupta from reporting on health care policy and other matters involving the incoming Obama administration since learning he was under consideration for the post.

Gupta hosts "House Call" on CNN and also is a correspondent for CBS.
    The surgeon general typically isn't heavily involved in shaping an administration's policy, but it can be a very effective bully pulpit.

Past surgeons general have proved instrumental in battling tobacco and AIDS.

Having a person comfortable on television could perhaps elevate the now relatively obscure position, and be helpful for Obama, who is personally very health conscious.

More details from the Washington Post's Howard Kurtz:
    The offer followed a two-hour Chicago meeting in November with Obama, who said that Gupta could be the highest-profile surgeon general in history and would have an expanded role in providing health policy advice, the sources said. Gupta later spoke with Tom Daschle, Obama's White House health czar and nominee for Health and Human Services secretary, and other advisers to the president-elect.
    The Michigan-born son of Indian and Pakistani parents, Gupta has always been drawn to health policy. He was a White House fellow in the late 1990s, writing speeches and crafting policy for Hillary Clinton. His appointment would give the administration a prominent official of Southwest Asian descent and a skilled television spokesman.

Sanjay Gupta, Surgeon General?

That's like making Dr. Phil the head of mental health...

How about a real doctor, not just some dude who plays one on TV?

I can hear the repugs screaming about his "celebrity cabinet" already.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Reports: Gupta approached for surgeon general - White House transition- msnbc.com

MSNBC.com

Reports: Gupta approached for surgeon general
    CNN says it has kept Gupta from reporting on health care policy
    The Associated Press
    updated 2:27 p.m. PT, Tues., Jan. 6, 2009

WASHINGTON - President-elect Barack Obama has approached CNN's chief medical correspondent, Sanjay Gupta, to be the country's next surgeon general, the cable news network said Tuesday.

CNN said it has kept Gupta from reporting on health care policy and other matters involving the incoming Obama administration since learning he was under consideration for the post.

A Democrat with knowledge of the discussions over the surgeon general spot cautioned that there was not yet a final decision on who would fill the post. The person spoke on a condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media on the matter.

Obama's transition office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Gupta hosts "House Call" on CNN, contributes reports to CBS News and writes a column for Time magazine. He is a neurosurgeon and is on the faculty at Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta. During the Clinton administration, he was a White House fellow and special adviser to then-first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton.

The surgeon general typically isn't heavily involved in shaping an administration's policy, but it can be a very effective bully pulpit. Past surgeons general have proved instrumental in battling tobacco and AIDS.

Having such a well-known TV personality could bring the surgeon general attention not seen since C. Everett Koop help the position under President Ronald Reagan. Koop is best known for pushing to make AIDS a public health issue rather than a moral issue, and Reagan faced pressure to fire him. Koop has said Reagan never interfered.

CNN said Gupta would not comment on the discussions and released a statement that said, "Since first learning that Dr. Gupta was under consideration for the surgeon general position, CNN has made sure that his on-air reporting has been on health and wellness matters and not on health care policy or any matters involving the new administration."

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: Reports: Gupta approached for surgeon general - White House transition- msnbc.com

MSN Privacy . Legal
    2009 MSNBC.com

He's well qualified for the position. And very cute. So, he fits in with the rest of 'em. I vote "yes".

I don't know who he is, but if he's popular with the public and can get the word out on health issues of vital importance to our country in a way people will listen to, I think it's great!

Dr. Doolittle turned it down....

But this certainly bodes well for Judge Judy on the Supreme Court, and Captain Crunch as Secretary of the Navy.

Seriously though, he has very troubling links to Big Pharma

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

He's no C Everett Koop (dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing)
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    He's no C Everett Koop (dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing)

Life Alert Personal Medical Emergency Response - Dr. C. Everett Koop's Bio

Koop looks like a dead ringer for the captain of the "Titanic".

This guy is not a lightweight! He is a neurosurgeon on the Emory Staff. He may be on TV, but he is NOT a toy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I admit that I don't even know who the current surgeon general is. Gupta could be a good thing for promoting health policy. Just the fact that he is already well known would get more press for health policy.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Gupta is actually qualified for the job. Everytime I've seen him speak on any medical issue he comes across in a clear and articulate manner. It's not like we're talking about a hack like Dr. Drew from Celebrity Rehab here.

The sad thing is that Drew struck me as a very capable internist. Then he sold out.

I double dog dare him to bring Jocelyn Elders back. Woohoo!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information