Thread: In a fit of brilliance, Republicans debating whether "negro" is a slur or not

Wink In a fit of brilliance, Republicans debating whether "negro" is a slur or not

The controversy surrounding a comedy CD distributed by Republican National Committee chair candidate Chip Saltsman has not torpedoed his bid and might have inadvertently helped it.

Four days after news broke that the former Tennessee GOP chairman had sent a CD that included a song titled “Barack the Magic Negro” to the RNC members he is courting, some of those officials are rallying around the embattled Saltsman, with a few questioning whether the national media and his opponents are piling on.

“When I heard about the story I had to figure out what was going on for myself,” said Mark Ellis, the chairman of the Maine Republican Party. “When I found out what this was about I had to ask, ‘boy, what’s the big deal here?’ because there wasn’t any.”

Alabama Republican committeeman Paul Reynolds said the fact the Saltsman sent him a CD with the song on it “didn’t bother me one bit.”

“Chip probably could have thought it through a bit more, but he was doing everyone a favor by giving us a gift,” he said. “This is just people looking for something to make an issue of.”

“I don’t think he intended it as any kind of racial slur. I think he intended it as a humor gift,” Oklahoma GOP committeewoman Carolyn McClarty added. “I think it was innocently done by Chip.”

The song came with 40 others on an album from conservative satirist Paul Shanklin, a personal friend of Saltsman. The song is a parody of a 2007 Los Angeles Times column of the same title and is written to the tune of “Puff the Magic Dragon.”

“Barack the Magic Negro lives in D.C.” the opening of the song goes. “The L.A. Times, they called him that ‘cause he’s not authentic like me. Yeah, the guy from the L.A. paper said he makes guilty whites feel good. They’ll vote for him, and not for me ‘cause he’s not from the hood.”

The song, written shortly after the publication of the Times column, was first played on the Rush Limbaugh radio show. On Monday, Limbaugh prominently re-posted the song on the top left corner of his website above the headline, “Drive-by media misreporting of ‘Barack the Magic Negro’ song.”

The flap has generated unflattering attention at a time when the GOP is trying to rebuild its brand and reach out to new voters after an election in which GOP presidential nominee John McCain ran poorly among minority constituencies.

The day after the story was first reported by The Hill, RNC Chairman Mike Duncan issued a statement expressing disgust over the song.

“The 2008 election was a wake-up call for Republicans to reach out and bring more people into our party,” said Duncan, who is seeking reelection to his post. “I am shocked and appalled that anyone would think this is appropriate as it clearly does not move us in the right direction.”

Duncan was joined by Michigan GOP Chair Saul Anuzis, another RNC chair aspirant who chided Saltsman for sending out the CD.

North Dakota Republican Party Chairman Gary Emineth said he was “disappointed” when he heard about the story and questioned Saltsman’s viability as a candidate going forward.

'Magic Negro' flap might help Saltsman - Andy Barr - Politico.com
    Gee, and Rethugs wonder why they're seen as racist, mysogenist evolutionary dead ends..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Default Re

Did you see this clip from MSNBC?

YouTube - MSNBC Host: It wouldn't be funny if someone called me 'Tamron Hall the magic negro anchor lady.'

Note the very lame attempt by the Republicunt to blame it all on Al Sharpton.

ROFL, of course.. it's all Al Sharpton's fault. Not that Al Sharpton isn't a total dick, but come on.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Republicans, who just ran the most race-baiting presidential campaign in history, now consider themselves the experts on whether something is a racial slur or not.

Is Negro a racial slur? That depends on what the word is is.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    Did you see this clip from MSNBC?

YouTube - MSNBC Host: It wouldn't be funny if someone called me 'Tamron Hall the magic negro anchor lady.'

Note the very lame attempt by the Republicunt to blame it all on Al Sharpton.

That clip is so interesting. One, the spin the rethugbot spews about what the 'parody' is about, and two, how she goes from zero to bitch at lightening speed when the anchor calls her bluff. It was like a scene from the exorcist or something...I really wish the anchor had just kept baiting her to see how much of a tantrum she was willing to throw, it was funny to me they knocked her into a small screen in the corner when she started getting nasty and transformed to the witch from oz ("I'll get you my pretty and your magic negro too")...it's so weird how pathologically angry all these conservative women are. They could put them in gangs and use them to fight crime.

Quote Originally Posted by ymeman View Post
    That clip is so interesting. One, the spin the rethugbot spews about what the 'parody' is about, and two, how she goes from zero to bitch at lightening speed when the anchor calls her bluff. It was like a scene from the exorcist or something...I really wish the anchor had just kept baiting her to see how much of a tantrum she was willing to throw, it was funny to me they knocked her into a small screen in the corner when she started getting nasty and transformed to the witch from oz ("I'll get you my pretty and your magic negro too")...it's so weird how pathologically angry all these conservative women are. They could put them in gangs and use them to fight crime.
    I would love to have seen Michelle Bachmann's take on this mess, speaking of crazy conservative women.

Quote Originally Posted by ymeman View Post

This whole post had me in stitches tonight. Thank you.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Elite Member

Default re

Yes, that Republicunt was like a little mini horror show. (Note to self--being an angry witch makes you look hideous.) She lost it so quickly and that very thin veneer of talk-show pleasantry fell off so fast!

The other thing that is semi-amusing is that she thought she making good points and I think she was angry that no one appreciated them.

The reality is that it was a classic circular argument and all she did was prove that she had no fucking clue what she was talking about. And doh, lady, don't try to school two African-American people (who are smarter than you are anyway) about racism.

I'm with Tamron Hall, call me a magic negro and see if I find it funny! It isn't funny and regardless of his politics this is pure racism. Micheal Steele, WTF is your problem!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Aren't they about 60 years too late for this debate?

Next up on Repug think tank sessions: "The genocide of Native Americans: good or bad?"
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Umm............Wow people still even use that word?
    Personally I don't even understand why we need different labels for races we are all human. Well besides Tom Cruise maybe.
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

Thread Information