Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaza complicates Barack Obama's policy in Mideast

Default Gaza complicates Barack Obama's policy in Mideast

CRAWFORD, Texas The deaths of hundreds of Palestinians in Israel's deadliest-ever air assault on Hamas further complicate President-elect Barack Obama's challenge to achieve a Middle East peace something that eluded both the Bush and Clinton administrations.
    The Bush administration has blamed the renewed violence on the militant Islamic group Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip, saying it broke a cease-fire by firing rockets and mortars deep into Israeli territory. The Arab world, however, has reacted with rage to the aggressive Israeli counterattacks, which have left at least 290 Palestinians dead and more than 600 wounded.
    It's unclear whether Obama will be as supportive of Israel as President George W. Bush has been.
    David Axelrod, senior adviser to Obama, chose his words carefully Sunday, saying the president-elect would honor the "important bond" between the United States and Israel.
    "He wants to be a constructive force in helping to bring about the peace and security that both the Israelis and the Palestinians want and deserve," Axelrod said on CBS' "Face the Nation." "Obviously, this situation has become even more complicated in the last couple of days and weeks. As Hamas began its shelling, Israel responded. But it's something that he's committed to."
    Pressed about how much support Obama will offer Israel, Axelrod said: "He's going to work closely with the Israelis. They're a great ally of ours, the most important ally in the region. ... But he will do so in a way that will promote the cause of peace, and work closely with the Israelis and the Palestinians on that toward that objective."
    Israel had been carrying out its attack exclusively from the air, but the Israeli Cabinet has authorized the military to call up 6,500 reserve soldiers for a possible ground invasion.
    "I'm not sure it's a good idea," Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, said Sunday on ABC's "This Week." "I mean, Israel certainly has the right to self-defense, of course. Hamas has not recognized Israel's right to exist. ... But I'm hopeful that as this transition comes, as we look to January, that strong presidential leadership can make a difference here."
    Jon Alterman, head of the Middle East program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, speculated that Israeli leaders synchronized their retaliatory attacks to political calendars in both Israel and the U.S. More moderate politicians running in the Feb. 10 national election needed to appear strong against Hamas, and it was perhaps better to strike before Bush left office on Jan. 20 because they weren't as sure what Obama's reaction would be.
    "I think Obama will be supportive of Israel, but will bring a little more skepticism to it," Alterman said. "I think Obama will start from premise that Israel is an ally, but that we have to look at this fresh."
    The White House was mum about the situation in Gaza on Sunday after speaking out strongly on Saturday. The Bush administration condemned the repeated rocket and mortar attacks against Israel and said it held Hamas responsible for breaking a cease-fire. The U.S. implored Israel to avoid civilian casualties and asked all concerned to address the urgent humanitarian needs of innocent people in Gaza.
    Bush, who is staying at his Texas ranch, spoke on the phone with national security adviser Stephen Hadley to receive an update on the situation and was being kept abreast of developments throughout the day, said Gordon Johndroe, a presidential spokesman. He said Bush would receive an intelligence briefing via a secured video hookup at the ranch early Monday morning and would be briefed then on any overnight developments.
    According to an aide on Obama's transition team, the president-elect, who is in Hawaii, continues to closely monitor global events, including the situation in Gaza. He had an intelligence briefing Sunday and plans to talk with his incoming national security adviser, Gen. James Jones, and Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, his nominee for secretary of state.
    The aide said Obama appreciates the information the Bush administration is sharing with him. The aide requested anonymity because the Obama team is refraining from comment, saying the U.S. has only one president at a time.
    When Hamas took control of Gaza in June 2007, it fractured governance of the Palestinian territory. The other part, the West Bank, is controlled by moderate Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. The renewed violence increases the volatility of an already unstable area.
    "It undoubtedly will have a very severe impact on wherever the next administration would like to go," Ed Abington, a former American diplomat who advises Abbas, said in an interview. "You can't kill almost 300 Palestinians and wound 600 to 700 and not have repercussions in the region."
    "I don't quite know where the Israelis want to end up," he added, saying that trying to bomb Hamas into submission only rekindles radicalization. Abington said Israel's retaliatory attacks weaken, not strengthen, the stature of Abbas, who is backed by the West.
    Alterman said, however, that if Hamas is weakened by the bombings in Gaza, Abbas' position could be emboldened. "It's possible to imagine that he could emerge as some sort of broker who saves Gaza from an Israeli onslaught," Alterman said.

Gaza complicates Obama's policy in Mideast - Yahoo! News

In other words, will Obama continue this "Israel can do no wrong...we will support them because of a few obscure Bible verses....they can wipe out everyone over there, commit egregious war crimes, violate the Geneva Convention repeatedly and they MUST be right because God said so and so we have to support them...when others say that there has to be sanctions against Israel, we will resist....its always the fault of everyone else....Israel doesn't kill civilians, don't you know that"? Or we will he stand up and actually do whats right, and denounce both sides, instead of playing these ridiculous games? I cannot understand for the life of me why we coddle Israel, I understand they are a powerful ally. But they never even get a slap on the wrist. These damn Bible thumpers think that if we go against Israel, we're bringing the wrath of God on our heads, and Armageddon will begin. They can demolish Palestinian homes and build their own settlements on occupied land, which is blatantly going against the Geneva Convention, they can kill innocent civilians day in and day out, defy numerous UN resolutions, but somehow this country turns a blind eye. I mean, hell, the rest of the world seems like they understand whats going on. When I was in Europe, it was the FIRST time I ever heard the word "occupation" referred to (in a news program) about what was going on in the Gaza Strip. When I saw Israel killing numerous innocents during the Lebanon conflict, I was appalled. Watching babies and children with their heads caved in. But guess what, that didn't even make the news here. I'm so sick of the "good guys" and the "bad guys" schtick I could scream. They both have done terrible things, the difference is that Israel has all the military might on a much greater scale and no one to tell them "NO". Palestinians kill one, they kill one hundred. They just do whatever the hell they want without any regards to whether they are committing war crimes or crimes against humanity. Its disgusting. I thought we were supposed to be united against terrorists, or is that only when they have a certain color skin, or pray to a certain God?
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

A special book written by sky fairies says that they can do no wrong; you can't fight with the sky fairy! They are the chosen people and it is their holy land that they got in a war which displaced how many people... it's okay... yeah, it's okay.

There are actually freakish fundamentalist Christian groups that want this kind of stuff to happen because it proves their good book correct and true. It's disgusting what has been happening.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

In other words, will Obama continue this "Israel can do no wrong...we will support them because of a few obscure Bible verses....
    I hope Obama doesn't continue that U.S. policy of Israel can do no wrong. That's one of the reasons why the U.S. will never be able to mediate anything close to peace in the Middle East.

Of course it doesn't help matters that some of the Arab countries like Iran are determined to wipe Israel off the map. So, neither side is blameless in the Middle East mess.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I hope Obama doesn't continue that U.S. policy of Israel can do no wrong. That's one of the reasons why the U.S. will never be able to mediate anything close to peace in the Middle East.

Of course it doesn't help matters that some of the Arab countries like Iran are determined to wipe Israel off the map. So, neither side is blameless in the Middle East mess.
    You are absolutely correct. When Sadat signed the peace treaty, the other Arab nations were angry at what they perceived as a slight, which was ridiculous. They are now reaping those consequences. There is no compromise on either side. Yet what rekindles the flame time and time again is the fact that Israel is never punished for its numerous crimes, and in fact often seems celebrated for them. On the flipside, whenever the Palestinians even fire a missile which hits no one, Israel responds with killing at least ten innocent people. So yeah, that stokes the fires of radicalism. Not saying its right in the least, but its a never-ending cycle. The difference between the radicals in the Middle East is that often, like Ahmadinejad, they speak a lot of shit but there is no action. Israel has a huge military presence and is always backed by the U.S., so in that region, they "win". They can do whatever they like. Its much like the bullies on the schoolground.

If Iran could wipe Israel off the map without fear of being obliterated, they might do it. I doubt it. Aminenadajawhatever is a blowhard and a mouthpiece, that's it. They know they can't do anything because Israel has about 40 nukes at their disposal, and the US would flatten them.

However, Israel should really stop being dicks and engage in nationbuilding with the Palestinians. They got robbed of their country, it would be somewhat nice for them to get at least SOME of it back.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Ironically, I don't think Ahmedinejad has the power to really run anything (except his mouth) without the express approval of the Revolutionary Council/Mullahs.

I think Iran wants to be a power player, not to necessarily nuke Israel.

I agree that Israel should do its best efforts to engage in nation-building with Palestinians. However, hardliners have seen to it that the parts of a Gaza and the West Bank that the Palestinians have is a crazy quilt that looks like a gerrymandered voting district. That has to play huge havoc with running a government and providing services. Not to mention that it appears Israel is still funding settlements in historically Arab areas of both Jerusalem and West Bank, which exacerbates tensions.

Also, there are entrenched factions within Hamas who appear to have a vested interest in not having any kind of rapprochement with Israel, which (I think) is why they would continue to lob missiles at them from Gaza, knowing full well what the eventual Israeli response would be.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Don't forget that the gerrymandered crazy quilt is quite similar to a Polish ghetto.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

God, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about the Israeli policy. The last time I said something i got totally flamed about it, but then i was in DC, where there is a very high jewish population and saying anything about the way Israel treats the Palestinans is considered basically tantamount to Jew-hating.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

It must be nice to have something to hide behind to justify your own assholish behavior.

Relgion, previous persecution, etc..
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    God, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about the Israeli policy. The last time I said something i got totally flamed about it, but then i was in DC, where there is a very high jewish population and saying anything about the way Israel treats the Palestinans is considered basically tantamount to Jew-hating.
    I have to admit that in certain quarters that is sadly the case.

In college, a jewish classmate of mine stopped talking to me after I wrote an article in the campus paper about how many of the early Israeli land deals occurred. However, I was only summarizing a speech from a jewish professor from Emory University.

Fuck all of them. I'm so tired of their bullshit. I wish they'd just kill each other and get it over with. Seriously, just lob a few nukes around till the whole area is glowing glass.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Ironically, I don't think Ahmedinejad has the power to really run anything (except his mouth) without the express approval of the Revolutionary Council/Mullahs.

I think Iran wants to be a power player, not to necessarily nuke Israel.

I agree that Israel should do its best efforts to engage in nation-building with Palestinians. However, hardliners have seen to it that the parts of a Gaza and the West Bank that the Palestinians have is a crazy quilt that looks like a gerrymandered voting district. That has to play huge havoc with running a government and providing services. Not to mention that it appears Israel is still funding settlements in historically Arab areas of both Jerusalem and West Bank, which exacerbates tensions.

Also, there are entrenched factions within Hamas who appear to have a vested interest in not having any kind of rapprochement with Israel, which (I think) is why they would continue to lob missiles at them from Gaza, knowing full well what the eventual Israeli response would be.
    Excellent post.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Yeah, don't worry. I have been accused of being an anti-semite before, which really stings because I am not a bigot in the least, but I think you have to know within yourself that they are deflecting from real arguments by using an old stand-by that seems quite efficient in shutting people up. I just want peace and, more attainably, justice.

Like I said, after the Israeli/Lebanon conflict, I was so angry at Israel for their war crimes. But twice when I tried to say something, I was shut down and told I don't like the Jews. Excuse me? How is disliking seeing innocent, unarmed civilians die by the tenfold boiled down to such an argument? I am a fair opponent of Israel's policies. That does not mean (for me) that they don't have a right to exist. For me, its political and not religious. But I am disgusted that people who claim to be God's chosen are indulging in activities that are hateful and detestable, I find that ironic. Study the Sabra and Shatila Massacre if you want to see what Israel can be capable of. They directly kept their hands clean in that one while knowing full well what the result would be. The problem is that anytime a Palestinian kid even throws a rock, its covered by the media because only Palestine can be violent, Israel responds with overzealous force and kills innocent civilians, and that goes unnoticed by the media. When Israel responds to any act of "aggression", they don't care who they target, whether it be men or women, the elderly or infants. They have completely shut down any goods being brought into the Strip, so people are starving and homeless and can't travel to feed their families. They have knocked down Palestinian family homes to build their own settlements, which against the Geneva Convention. And yet people wonder why there is so much smoldering resentment in the region. I hate Hamas obviously, as the only thing they have accomplished is bringing death sentences on the heads of innocent civilians over there. But it is tantamount to me throwing a rock at a house and the homeowner coming out and blowing away my whole family and all my neighbors because of it.

Anyone who can't see that its not about Jews or Muslims, but its about humanity, probably isn't worth talking to anyway.

I got gassed in a demo at the Israeli consulate this afternoon,Totally worth it.This is crime..killing kids and defenseless people is crime,plain and simple.Jan,very well said.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Thing is, Hamas launches rockets into Israel, then Israel responds.. and the location of the rockets is smack dab of a residential area. They want Israel to retaliate and kill people, otherwise they wouldn't locate the launchers right in the middle of packed residential neighborhoods.

it's a PR war at the expense of their own people.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yes this is true. Palestinians have said that hamas militants often force themselves (with guns) into civilians (Palestinian) homes so they can launch rockets from there. The thing is, unless you live here or read a lot about the conflicts, it is hard to understand the complexity of the situation. It is not simply Jews against Muslims (two of the most recent victims on the Israeli side happen to be Arab Israeli's). Israel has a 25 % Muslim population. There is also the conflict between the Fatah and Hamas

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information