Thread: Sarah Palin still clueless about politics, even in her own state

Default Sarah Palin still clueless about politics, even in her own state

From Mudflats, an Alaskan Blog:

As another post-holiday afternoon rolls by, I feel like so many others at this time of year. Out with the old, in with the new. Clean off my desk. Get rid of unwanted and not needed stuff.

Along with that comes all those things that have been bouncing around in my brain for the past week and a half, that I never had time to get out. And as this blog started to allow me to get stuff out of my head, I need to clean up a few things. So, they may be old news, and I may be the last to talk about them, but my brain will feel cleaner. And that’s a good thing.

Waaay back on December 22nd, my favorite conservative website “Human Events” had an interview with Sarah Palin. It wasn’t particularly remarkable for the most part. While reading through it, you could tell that some editor had removed most of the quirky syntax, and goofy grammar that makes interviews with our Governor so much fun.

But, there was one thing that was left in, that really blew my mind. I know that Mudflats readers, in general, are pretty savvy about Alaska politics, especially if they’ve been reading for a while. So see if you can find the mistake. Here’s the exchange between Palin and Human Events political editor John Gizzi.

GIZZI: You made it clear in our interviews earlier this year that you were not close to fellow Republicans Sen. Ted Stevens and Rep. Don Young from your state, both of whom you said had a different vision of Alaska’s dealings with the federal government than you did. Were you pleased with the election of Democrat Mark Begich who defeated Stevens and with the re-election of Rep. Young?

PALIN:I met yesterday with Sen.-elect Begich to see that we are on the same page as we move forward as he starts his new job representing Alaska.

I thought that Sen. Stevens was going to be re-elected, and it was so close, and that if he were to step aside because he was convicted [on corruption charges], then I would get to appoint a Republican. So I was kind of surprised at the outcome there.

It is what it is, and I wish Sen. Begich well. We’ll work well together. He’s going to be in the majority party and that’s all the more reason for Mark Begich and me to work closely together. We will.

Did you get it? It’s in the second paragraph of her answer; “then I would get to appointa Republican.” Wha…? Wh-wha…? After a double and triple take, and a couple rereadings of her answer, I still couldn’t believe it.

If you didn’t get it, I’ll remind you of the background. And keep in mind while I recount, that Sarah Palin was Frank Murkowski’s immediate successor. She ran for Lt. Governor in 2002 when all this started. She was not living in the woods, subsistence hunting, and cut off from civilization.

Once upon a time Alaska had a Senator named Frank Murkowski. He and Ted Stevens were Alaska’s senators for a long, long time. Then, Murkowski decided that he was going to run for governor. So he ran, and he won. Now came the question of who would succeed Frank in his Senate seat. All the Republicans in the state who felt they were qualified, puffed up their chests, and preened their feathers, and paraded themselves in front of the Senator-now-Governor hoping to be “the chosen one.” This was one of the big power seats in the state, and they don’t come open that often.

And finally, after reviewing the candidates, he made his decision. Frank chose his daughter, Lisa Murkowski to fill his seat. She was a state representative at the time, and Frank decided to hand the crown to the next generation. Everyone who wasn’t Lisa Murkowski went ballistic. There was hand-wringing, gnashing of teeth, kicking of dogs, and Republicans and Democrats alike across the state were seeing red. It was a huge, big, fat, major deal.

Then, Alaska’s other senator, Ted Stevens, began to muse aloud about how he was getting on in years, and just might think about stepping down from his seat, and handing the reins over to someone younger, someone with fresh, new ideas, someone like….his son, state senator Ben Stevens. Uh oh.

We saw the writing on the wall. And to make a very long story short, the issue made it to the ballot. Should Alaskans continue to allow Senators to appoint their replacements, thereby assuring the continuity of representation in the Senate? Or should voters hold a special election, foregoing the continuity, in favor of keeping control over who actually gets the seat.

The special election won hands down. The governor was stripped of the power of appointment. And during the same election that this ballot measure passed, Lisa Murkowski was re-elected to the seat. Go figure. But nonetheless, the law was writ, and everybody who wasn’t living in a cave knew it.

Apparently Sarah Palin was living in a cave, because she just told the planet how bummed she was that Ted Stevens didn’t win, and then get convicted, so she could appoint a Republican to his seat.

Shortly after Palin’s Human Events interview was released, Shannyn Moore talked to Senator Elect Mark Begich on Air America. She asked him what he thought of her misperception, and complete lack of understanding about what she does and does not have the power to do.

King of the diplomatic understatement, Begich said he was “a little surprised” when he read it. He went on to say, “You and I both know, as do thousands of people who voted. I don’t know what that all meant. It was a little odd.”

I’ll tell you what it all meant. It meant that Sarah Palin has not been paying attention to some incredibly basic aspects of Alaska government, and hasn’t been since at least 2002 when Murkowski the Younger was appointed to the Senate. She also wasn’t paying attention in 2004, when the law was changed. She also wasn’t paying attention in 2008 when every national news media was asking whether she had the power to appoint, and the answer was no.
    The Mudflats » Palin and Her Understanding of Senatorial Succession. “A Little Odd.”

Elite Member

She's still playing Barbie with her "dizyner clothes" - what do laws matter to Trash like Palin.

Seeing as how Palin didn't know what the VP does, should anybody be shocked that she didn't know the Governor can't appoint a Senator in Alaska anymore.

that is a great blog, I read it alot during the election. She's a piece of ... work, that one.

I read Mudflats regularly and a couple of other Alaskan blogs too. Aside from this recent example of Palin's stupidity, another blog has been documenting Palin's appointees at the Department of Natural Resources fucking up oil and gas leases for companies that produce those two items from Alaskan land. Such a great thing to do when your state budget depends on 85-90% of its revenue from the oil and gas companies!

Mudflats is great! Did you see their 12 days of Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Seeing as how Palin didn't know what the VP does, should anybody be shocked that she didn't know the Governor can't appoint a Senator in Alaska anymore.
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    Mudflats is great! Did you see their 12 days of Christmas?
    Yeah, that $1200 bit was pretty good.

Thread Information