Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prop. 8 sponsors seek to nullify 18K gay marriages

Thumbs down Prop. 8 sponsors seek to nullify 18K gay marriages

They're still at it, it never stops

Prop. 8 sponsors seek to nullify 18K gay marriages - Yahoo! News

SAN FRANCISCO The sponsors of Proposition 8 asked the California Supreme Court on Friday to nullify the marriages of the estimated 18,000 same-sex couples who exchanged vows before voters approved the ballot initiative that outlawed gay unions.
    The Yes on 8 campaign filed a brief arguing that because the new law holds that only marriages between a man and a woman are recognized or valid in California, the state can no longer recognize the existing same-sex unions. The document reveals for the first time that opponents of same-sex marriage will fight in court to undo those unions that already exist.
    "Proposition 8's brevity is matched by its clarity. There are no conditional clauses, exceptions, exemptions or exclusions," reads the brief co-written by Kenneth Starr, dean of Pepperdine University's law school and the former independent counsel who investigated President Bill Clinton.
    The campaign submitted the document in response to three lawsuits seeking to invalidate Proposition 8, the constitutional amendment adopted last month that overruled the court's decision in May that had legalized gay marriage in the nation's most populous state.
    Both Attorney General Jerry Brown, whose office is scheduled to submit its own brief to the court Friday, and gay rights groups maintain that the gay marriage ban may not be applied retroactively.
    The Supreme Court could hear arguments in the litigation as soon as March. The measure's backers announced Friday that Starr, a former federal judge and U.S. solicitor general, had signed on as their lead counsel and would argue the cases.
    Proposition 8's supporters assert that the Supreme Court lacks the authority or historical precedent to throw out the amendment.
    "For this court to rule otherwise would be to tear asunder a lavish body of jurisprudence," the court papers state. "That body of decisional law commands judges as servants of the people to bow to the will of those whom they serve even if the substantive result of what people have wrought in constitution-amending is deemed unenlightened."
    The cases are Strauss v. Horton, S168047; City and County of San Francisco v. Horton, S168078; and Tyler v. State of California, S168066.

Elite Member

This is SUCH crap. What's next don't people worry about that? Will we reinstate slavery? Take away the right to bear arms? Take away freedom of speech? WOmen's right to vote? What has to be taken away for people to care?

Counting down before someones comes in and says that Prop 8 supporters are not bigots.

They just persecute complete strangers who never did a thing to them for shits and giggles.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

^^^
    aella, not only are they not bigots, they are the real victims of harassment and discrimination by angry gays who want to shove their agendas in everyone's faces.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^Won't someone please think of the poor homophobes?

Nice of Obama to invite one of those assholes to his inauguration to lead a PRAYER

Fuck you Obama.

Some "change"
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Default re

Notice the involvement of Kenneth Fucking Starr in this affair...why am I not surprised.

How can you give people rights they deserve and then take them away? That's so wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Counting down before someones comes in and says that Prop 8 supporters are not bigots.

They just persecute complete strangers who never did a thing to them for shits and giggles.
    Yeah, or defends them because it's part of their religion, you know because that makes bigotry acceptable

^My religion says I have to kick at least two bigots in the face before lunch time, otherwise big flying monkeys will come and drag me to Hades. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirl View Post
    How can you give people rights they deserve and then take them away? That's so wrong.
    I would think they wouldn't be able to since this is ex post facto. Also, last I recall, the California Supreme Court still has to rule on whether or not Prop 8 is constitutional by the California Constitution.

And warren is one of the supporters of this, but hey.. it's a 'valid' viewpoint.

So was slavery, then.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

You know what former Special Prosecutor/Persecutor Starr? Your 15 minutes were up 10 years ago. You had your endless chance to put your agenda out there during the endless torment of President Clinton. Go back to the rock you live under. Or as Jack said in As good as it gets: Sell crazy somewhere else. Were full up here.

That's just adding insult to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Nice of Obama to invite one of those assholes to his inauguration to lead a PRAYER

Fuck you Obama.

Some "change"
    Obama fucked up big time inviting Warren to the inauguration. No doubt about that.

But the fact that a liberal state like California passed Prop 8 is a bigger issue than Obama or any other politician.

Yes, but so far he's a symptom of the problem

it's typical of democrats to dance around the gay rights issue...
    as much as i love clinton, he's responsible for the retarded 'don't ask, don't tell' policy. sure, he didn't outright ban gays from enlisting, but he didn't have the balls to go so far as to fully accept them.
    same with obama with his whole pro-civil unions but not for full marriage rights stance.
    i was hoping that now that he's elected, he'd have the balls to tell the fundies to go to hell.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information