Thread: Openly gay Secretary of Navy?

Thumbs up Openly gay Secretary of Navy?

Thursday, Dec. 18, 2008 10:02 EST
    Openly gay SecNavy?

The Washington Times is reporting that Barack Obama is considering the appointment of an openly gay man, William White, currenty the COO of the Intrepid Museum Foundation, as Secretary of the Navy.

Paired with the announcement that anti-gay rights evangelical pastor Rick Warren will give an invocation at Obama's inauguration, it's hard to know what to make of all this. Critics will call it schizophrenic, and political strategists will call it shrewdly inclusive.

Of course, White has not been named yet. It will be interesting to follow the fury that undoubtedly will arise in military circles if he is.

― Thomas Schaller

Openly gay SecNavy? - War Room - Salon.com

again, when Obama picks a racist klansmen, then it'll be inclusive. Seems the only bigoted views he wants to include are ones that don't affect him at all, cuz racism and anti-semitism are still wrong but giving anti gay bigots airtime is a good move.

No matter how many other things you cover it with, it still doesn't make it RIGHT.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

i wish obama would stop pandering to the homophobic religious right and would just tell them to go to hell once and for all.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hm, is he putting square pegs in round holes for a purpose? It might give him the political clout to say "if you want us to accept you, you have to accept us." The same people who say that anti-gay preacher should be entitled to his own opinions can have that same thing thrown back at them if they complain about having a gay man as Secretary of Navy. I don't approve of that bigot either way, but his token appearance would be far less impacting than the other appointment.

A*O

Ohhhhhhhh, hello sailor!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Hm, is he putting square pegs in round holes for a purpose? It might give him the political clout to say "if you want us to accept you, you have to accept us." The same people who say that anti-gay preacher should be entitled to his own opinions can have that same thing thrown back at them if they complain about having a gay man as Secretary of Navy. I don't approve of that bigot either way, but his token appearance would be far less impacting than the other appointment.
    I concur. The military is very anti-gay. Putting an openly gay man in charge of one of the armed services is big. Very big. If this turns out to be true that is...

wait, how can he be in the military if he's out.. dont they boot you automatically
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

Cool

Secretaries of Navy, army , airforce really do not have to be military members

as long as the new secretary does his/her job well - who cares

^^Yes (although this man would be a civilian and not subjected to that policy), but I Obama favors getting rid of that policy. If he goes through with this appointment of an openly gay man as Sec of Navy, then it sounds like he's going to really do it.
    ''But I think there's increasing recognition within the Armed Forces that this is a counterproductive strategy,'' he said. ''We're spending large sums of money to kick highly qualified gays or lesbians out of our military, some of whom possess specialties like Arab-language capabilities that we desperately need. That doesn't make us more safe.''
    Obama favors repealing 'don't ask, don't tell' policy :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Lifestyles

Hopefully, this is a signal that "don't ask, don't tell" will be going the way of the dodo very, very soon.

This should be interesting if it's true.

Elite Member

I'm sure many of the people Obama's worked with his WHOLE career have been racist. While no this does not make up for Warren being at the inaugaration it would be cool

Thread Information