Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices are back on the rebound

Unhappy Gas prices are back on the rebound

Gas prices on the rebound

Average price of unleaded rises to $1.667, according to AAA survey.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Gasoline prices continued to drift upward Wednesday after breaking 86 straight days of declines over the weekend, according to a daily survey of gas station credit card swipes.

The price of regular unleaded rose 0.6 cents to a national average of $1.667 a gallon from $1.661 on Tuesday, according to motorist group AAA.

Average gas prices ticked upward on Saturday for the first time in nearly three months, according to AAA.

The price of gasoline has fallen along with the price of crude oil, which has shed more than $100 a barrel since July. Oil demand has declined rapidly as the world economy has slowed.

According to the Transportation Department, Americans drove 100 billion fewer miles between November 2007 and October 2008, compared to a year earlier.

Local prices: Gas is currently selling below $2 a gallon in all states but Alaska, where gas prices averaged $2.646 a gallon, and Hawaii, where gas was $2.415 on average.

Gas was cheapest on average in Wyoming, at $1.489 a gallon, according to AAA. Missouri, the first state to see average prices drop below $1.50 a gallon, saw prices bounce back above that mark on Wednesday to $1.505.

Out of major U.S. cities, Anchorage, Alaska, has the highest average gas prices, at $2.434 a gallon, according to GasBuddy.com, service that lets motorists post local fuel prices online. Kansas City, Mo., had the lowest average, at $1.425.

Diesel: The price of diesel fuel, which is used in most trucks and commercial vehicles, fell Wednesday by 0.1 cent, to a national average of $2.536 a gallon, according to AAA.

Diesel prices have fallen more than $2 a gallon since hitting a record high of $4.845 on July 17.

Ethanol: The price of E85, an 85% ethanol blend made primarily from corn, rose 0.6 cents to an average of $1.507 a gallon in Wednesday's survey, according to AAA.

E85 can be used in place of regular gas in specially configured "flex-fuel" vehicles, but it is not readily available in some states.

The AAA figures are state-wide averages based on credit card swipes at up to 100,000 service stations across the nation. GasBuddy prices are averages of local regular unleaded gasoline prices that about 700,000 volunteer gas prices spotters have posted online. Individual drivers may see lower fuel prices in different areas of each state.

Gas prices rise 0.6 cents Wednesday - Dec. 17, 2008

Oh you knew it was bound to happen. They had a 60 minute profile on the oil cartels in Saudi Arabia and some of the guys interviewed didn't look too happy about the oil prices.

Better enjoy the low prices while you can, gas is one of those things that can change in a heartbeat based on whims.

Ours is down this week. Finally made it down to $1.63.

Boooooooo
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I should have filled my garbage cans with gasoline back when it hit the 1.60s.

I dread what gas prices will rise to next summer. I finally feel that I can leave the house and actually drive somewhere other than locally without it costing 40 dollars to take an hour ride to the coast. If oil goes up again to $4.00 a gallon I am going to consider wood pellets for heating.

Yea, already going up here. I think it's at $1.65 now. At least it was YESTERDAY when I drove by the station. Could be more now. Who am I kidding, of COURSE its more today...

fucking bastards

Yeah it's up to $1.79 here. About 10 days ago the same gas station had it at $1.69.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Not surprising. OPEC said they were going to cut production a couple of months ago. New oil projects have been losing their financing to get started. There's a shortage of offshore drilling rigs since many orders have been canceled due to the credit crisis this fall. Offshore drilling rigs cost $600 million each to produce.

$1.49 Here in NJ! For now. Wish I could stash some somewhere...

I just want prices to stay low through the holidays. I've got a lot of driving to do.

You know, I can be realistic about this, and understand that prices will go up....probably quite a bit. However, the $4.50+ a gallon was fucking insane.

I can deal w/$2.00-$2.50, not that shit.

It was fucking insane. How the fuck do the expect people to pay for gas with the unemployment going up and up? GREEDY fucks.

According to the London Times, Oil prices fell to a 4 1/2 year low last night ($40 a barrel) and OPEC plans to cut production by 2.2 million barrels a day due to low demand especially in the U.S. Demand will eventually pick up of course, but I think (hope for the holidays at least) that insanely low gas prices are here for the interim.

I could deal with the high prices during the summer because I mostly walked/biked to places during then. But in the winter there's no effing way I'm going around to do that when there's snow and ice on the ground. I hope the prices are at least under $2.50, if they're higher then there's bullshit brewing in the oil industry (like always)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information