Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: Now that a Democrat will be President, corporate media vows to ask tough questions

  1. #1
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    135

    Default Now that a Democrat will be President, corporate media vows to ask tough questions

    Michael Calderone's Blog: NBC's Whitaker on press corps: 'We're going to have to get tougher' - Politico.com

    During today's press conference, President-elect Baracj Obama brushed off a question from Chicago Tribune reporter John McCormick about the Blagojevich scandal, and what interaction any advisers had with the Illinois governor.

    "I don't want you to waste your question," Obama said.

    McCormick asked another Blago-related question, and Obama said he wouldn't confirm a report in the Tribune from this weekend. Obama also said that the U.S. attorney's office asked his team to withhold an internal review until next week.
    After a few attempts, the reporter finally followed up by asking who had the better jump shot: Obama or incoming education secretary Arne Duncan?

    The interaction with McCormick stood out from previous meetings with the press. And speaking about the exchange on MSNBC shortly after, NBC Washington bureau chief Mark Whitaker said that reporters have not been aggressive enough during Obama's post-election pressers.

    "Our job is to hold him to account," Whitaker said, adding that he thinks "we're going to have to get tougher."

    Newsweek's Jonathan Alter followed up: "We need the Sam Donaldsons of the world."

  2. #2
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    Yeah, WHERE THE FUCK WERE YOU THE LAST 8 YEARS YOU SHITBAGS
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  3. #3
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    26,026

    Default

    I think Alter's statement is about the relative kid-gloves treatment that Obama got before he was elected president. Such as the "thrill that ran down my leg" (MSNBC's Chris Matthews) after hearing a speech by Obama.

    It will be interesting to see if White House reporter David Gregory is as confrontational with Obama as he was with Bush.

  4. #4
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Reporters want to ask tougher questions with Obama, but wouldn't ask tough questions when Dubya railroaded us into Iraq. The media has become a joke.

  5. #5
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    26,026

    Default

    I don't agree that Bush wasn't subjected to tough questions. Not only did reporters ask tough questions of Bush, in 2004, there was a firestorm right before the general election when Dan Rather went to broadcast with a report that Bush had skipped out on his duty in the National Guard. The timing for Bush couldn't have been worse.

    As it turned out, Rather, who is no friend of Republicans (for reference, see his interview of the first Bush regarding participation in meetings over Iran-Contra), had been using falsified documents.

    So, Bush has not been sitting back lobbing softballs from the press.

  6. #6
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    Uh, yes he has. Wtf was happening after 9/11? Wtf was happening up to and during iraq?

    Nothing! They sat there and regurgitated whatever the white house told them to! They didn't ask anything. Not one of them said "uh, why the fuck are we going into iraq? Wtf is with this fascist patriot act crap? Why do we have a torture gulag?". They just swallowed the bullshit and repeated it. When did any of them say "No, that's not true at all." ?

    Never.

    Not one. They were too scared of being "unpatriotic" or called mean names. They abdicated their DUTY to report the truth. Instead, they became a fucking mouthpiece for half a decade.

    Give me a break!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  7. #7
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    26,026

    Default

    Really? What about Valerie Plame's husband writing that the yellow-cake uranium story was a fraud?

  8. #8
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I don't agree that Bush wasn't subjected to tough questions. Not only did reporters ask tough questions of Bush, in 2004, there was a firestorm right before the general election when Dan Rather went to broadcast with a report that Bush had skipped out on his duty in the National Guard. The timing for Bush couldn't have been worse.

    As it turned out, Rather, who is no friend of Republicans (for reference, see his interview of the first Bush regarding participation in meetings over Iran-Contra), had been using falsified documents.

    So, Bush has not been sitting back lobbing softballs from the press.
    Bush didn't have any real pressure from the media during the lead-up to the war, which is why they took so much heat after the fact. And Rather ended up being pushed out in retaliation for that Bush National Guard story. And that was the way it was, if you questioned Bush you got burned. Which is what happened with Valerie Plame after her husband called Dubya out on the yellow uranium.

    The media didn't start putting any real pressure on Dubya until the aftermath of Katrina. Which is one of the reasons that he's been a lameduck president since 2005.

  9. #9
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Really? What about Valerie Plame's husband writing that the yellow-cake uranium story was a fraud?
    because it WAS? In retaliation, Rove and his band of scum outed her as a CIA agent in a fit of pique.

    That's not a hard question anyway! The nigerian yellowcake shit was debunked LONG before Bush tried to use it as a LIE, the guy just reiterated it.

    You'll notice it didn't exactly engender any hard questions from the media. They just regurgitated White House bulletins. There was no investigative journalism. They had embedded reporters with troops and weren't allowed to report anything except propaganda.

    seriously, where were you the last 8 years? the rest of the planet was shaking its head!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  10. #10
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,701

    Default

    so the media was shit then but we should all have faith now because they promise they'll be better. they're going to start doing their job. they swear. cross their hearts and hope to die.

    yeah, ok
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  11. #11
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    historically, they're way harder on a democratic president.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  12. #12
    Silver Member crawdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    276

    Default

    It shouldn't be a hard question to answer if his people have had no contact with Blago.

  13. #13
    Elite Member witchcurlgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Acerbia
    Posts
    33,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    historically, they're way harder on a democratic president.
    Yes. and truthfully, some are hard on both. they do their jobs. but there are less and less like that. most are just glorified p.r. slags
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone


    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.


    If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

  14. #14
    Elite Member MohandasKGanja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Wherever my kids are
    Posts
    26,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    because it WAS? In retaliation, Rove and his band of scum outed her as a CIA agent in a fit of pique.

    That's not a hard question anyway! The nigerian yellowcake shit was debunked LONG before Bush tried to use it as a LIE, the guy just reiterated it.

    You'll notice it didn't exactly engender any hard questions from the media. They just regurgitated White House bulletins. There was no investigative journalism. They had embedded reporters with troops and weren't allowed to report anything except propaganda.

    seriously, where were you the last 8 years? the rest of the planet was shaking its head!
    I was watching some contentious press conferences. Here's one with Helen Thomas, who was at odds with Bush 2 throughout his tenure:

    HELEN THOMAS: I'd like to ask you, Mr. President, your decision to invade Iraq has caused the deaths of thousands of Americans and Iraqis, wounds of Americans and Iraqis for a lifetime. Every reason given, publicly at least, has turned out not to be true. My question is, why did you really want to go to war? From the moment you stepped into the White House, from your Cabinet -- your Cabinet officers, intelligence people, and so forth -- what was your real reason? You have said it wasn't oil -- quest for oil, it hasn't been Israel, or anything else. What was it?


    THE PRESIDENT: I think your premise -- in all due respect to your question and to you as a lifelong journalist -- is that -- I didn't want war. To assume I wanted war is just flat wrong, Helen, in all due respect --


    HELEN THOMAS: Everything --


    THE PRESIDENT: Hold on for a second, please.


    HELEN THOMAS: -- everything I've heard --

  15. #15
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
    It shouldn't be a hard question to answer if his people have had no contact with Blago.
    Yeah, I'll wait till Bush answers ANY questions truthfully before i start on Obama.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. President-Elect Barack Obama takes questions from 3rd graders
    By Moongirl in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: December 17th, 2008, 10:49 AM
  2. Tough transition expected for new president
    By kingcap72 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 25th, 2008, 11:23 PM
  3. Corporate media covers for John McCain's mistakes
    By Grimmlok in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: July 25th, 2008, 05:24 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 4th, 2006, 11:31 PM
  5. Heath Ledger vows better media relations
    By MaryJane in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 14th, 2006, 05:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •