Thread: Emirates Airlines' flying to San Francisco airport raises issues (Gays/Women)

Thumbs down Emirates Airlines' flying to San Francisco airport raises issues (Gays/Women)

Emirates Airlines' flying to S.F. raises issues

San Francisco is rolling out the red carpet for Emirates Airlines, which starting today will be flying nonstop from SFO to Dubai and back three times a week - and the East-West link sure makes for some interesting politics.

The airline, which is run by the government of the oil-rich United Arab Emirates, operates by rules far different from those San Francisco espouses.

Take Emirates' flight attendants, for instance. A recent Wall Street Journal piece on the airline says that "tough rules are enforced, including some that would be deemed discriminatory in the West, such as weight requirements and a no-pregnancy policy for unwed women."

Further, the paper says: "Openly gay male attendants need not apply. Premarital sex and homosexuality are both illegal in Dubai."
    In San Francisco, however, it's illegal for contractors doing business with the city to discriminate in employment or in dealing with the public.

And Larry Brinkin, the compliance officer for the city Human Rights Commission, says airline reps, under penalty of perjury, checked off all the boxes on a city form saying they don't discriminate based on "race, sexual orientation or religion."

They also submitted documentation showing they comply with the city's decade-old ordinance guaranteeing benefits to both gays and unmarried couples who register as domestic partners.
    "They say they don't discriminate, and we don't know otherwise," Brinkin said.

That might be because the San Francisco law applies only to how companies operate in the United States. In other words, while it affects employees on the ground here - ticket agents and the like - flight attendants who arrive from Dubai apparently are exempt.
    "We don't like it - it's awful, but we have no jurisdiction outside the U.S.," Brinkin said.

"It's called following the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law," said Assemblyman and former San Francisco Supervisor Tom Ammiano, author of the city's domestic partners ordinance.
    And while he's not happy about it, Ammiano says, the "Muslim world won't change overnight."

I can't wait till the oil dries up and Saudi Arabia crumbles like so much sand
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Regardless of how archaic Dubai's laws may be, a Dubai owned company has the right to operate under them.

Saudi arabia, not dubai.

I would like to take a giant shit on the whole region.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

SVZ

dubai, just like norway will be rich forever....both countries spend extravagantly but haven't even TOUCHED their principal yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Saudi arabia, not dubai.

Openly gay male attendants need not apply. Premarital sex and homosexuality are both illegal in Dubai."
    San Francisco is rolling out the red carpet for Emirates Airlines, which starting today will be flying nonstop from SFO to Dubai and back three times a week - and the East-West link sure makes for some interesting politics.

The airline, which is run by the government of the oil-rich United Arab Emirates, operates by rules far different from those San Francisco espouses.
    Dubai and UAE, not Saudi Arabia.

I'd love to boycott, but I've no plans to go to Dubai anytime soon...well, actually ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

I don't think anyone would notice more shit in that region...... Like coal in Newcastle
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

A*O

Dubai is actually quite liberal compared to most other places in that region. They have to be. Their oil runs out in about 20 years so they are pouring billions into making Dubai a business and holiday hub with amazing commercial and residential developments to attract international visitors. Alcohol is widely available and while some women wear veils or full burkas, many others don't.

Emirates is a rapidly expanding airline and many of it's staff are 'westerners'. I've flown with them a few times and there was the usual proportion of gay male flight attendants. I didn't ask if any of the females were preggo or having pre-marital sex LOL. In any event the airline is a fuck sight better (and cheaper) than United or Qantas.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thread Information