Thread: Leaked GOP memo: Kill auto bailout to destroy unions and shut down Dems

Bronze Member

Default Leaked GOP memo: Kill auto bailout to destroy unions and shut down Dems

YouTube - Leaked GOP Memo Suggests Auto Bailout Bill was Killed for Political Reasons

"MSNBC has obtained a memo entitled "Action Alert - Auto Bailout," and sent Wednesday at 9:12am, to Senate Republicans. The names of the sender(s) and recipient(s) have been redacted in the copy Countdown obtained. The Los Angeles Times reported that it was circulated among Senate Republicans. The brief memo outlines internal political strategy on the bailout, including the view that defeating the bailout represents a "first shot against organized labor." Senate Republicans blocked passage of the bailout late Thursday night, over its insistence on an immediate union pay cut."

I saw this on Countdown last night and just shook my head. Leave it to the Republicans to use this crisis as a chance to bust the unions. And then they wonder why they've been getting their asses handed to them in recent elections.

This along with other threads on this subject, seem to indicate a repubican 'payback' to the auto industry.

You got to wonder though, I'm no fan of republicans, but if a group of people like the UAW actively campaigned and contributed to boot you out of office, as a human being wouldn't you have some form of grudge or resentment?

If these allegations are true, then yes these repubs should have been more mature about it and think about their country and overall economy first instead of petty grudges.

But still it makes you wonder.

The dems should take this and go to the american public and say "Republicans dont care about your jobs. They're trying to destroy unions and will make 3.3 million people unemployed to do it."
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Well, Michigan and Ohio certainly won't be going red in the next presidential election. What amazes me about this is the sheer stupidity of the Republicans in voting this measure down. It's going to kill their prospects at rebuilding their party in the north. That and the auto plants located in southern states will NOT be exempt from the effects of this due to the intertwined nature of the auto industry. Dumb fucks.

Trust me, Michigan's blue won't have even the slightest of a red tinge for elections to come, never mind the next one.

The funny thing is Dick Cheney warned the Republicans NOT to kill the auto bailout bill are they would be forever linked to Herbert Hoover, who basically screwed the country over and made the Great Depression even worse because of bad decisions.

It took the Republicans years to recover from Hoover's screw-up and now they're doing the same thing. Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    The dems should take this and go to the american public and say "Republicans dont care about your jobs. They're trying to destroy unions and will make 3.3 million people unemployed to do it."

I almost think it's too late. The middle class has about shopped itself right out of existence at Walmart. Right-to-work is the rule rather than the exception and union jobs are few and far between. My brother is union and he votes republican. If anyone does not understand the reason that the rightwing sells 'morality' and 'values' in their political campaigns, THIS, union-busting, is the reason. So all the formerly middle-class murkans should eat their government cheese and be f*cking happy.

as an addendum I think this is a generational thing in some ways as well. I have an aunt that worked for Bell South in a union job. They shut down their office in her town and she took early retirement. She has free medical for the rest of her life. She got a good lump sum too. She votes republican, and has the nerve to whine about how 'bad' her life is and acts like she's freaking deprived. It's unreal how stupid the american middle and working classes are about which side their bread is buttered on.

Elite Member

Yeah, that makes sense.

Thread Information