Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: LA Times tells gays to stop being mean towards homophobic bigots

Thumbs down LA Times tells gays to stop being mean towards homophobic bigots

The LA Times has an "editorial" on their Web site lamenting the fact that some anti-gay bigots felt they had to leave their jobs in gay-oriented businesses after it was discovered that the bigots had donated to Proposition 8. The LAT thinks that goes too far.

Let's get something straight here, as it were. The LA Times finds it queer that someone working in a pretty much gay owned and operated business like theater in California is now facing scorn from their gay coworkers and gay audience members after embracing anti-gay hate.

Anyone else scratching their heads?

Here's what the Times wrote about gays:

As much as we abhorred Proposition 8, there's nothing to cheer about when private individuals are afraid to donate to the political campaigns of their choice because it may cost them their livelihood. In the case of Scott Eckern, who resigned from the California Musical Theatre in Sacramento, the future of the nonprofit company was at stake after some artists refused to work with him. But what if that situation were reversed and Eckern were targeted because he opposed Proposition 8? Or because he was gay? Professionals have to look past their personal and political differences or everyone with an opinion will be on an official list of undesirables.

And here is what the Times would never dare write:

As much as we abhorred slavery, there's nothing to cheer about when private individuals are afraid to donate to racist political campaigns of their choice because it may cost them their livelihood. In the case of Sam Eaton, who resigned from the California Black Musical Theatre in Sacramento, the future of the nonprofit company was at stake after some black artists refused to work with him. But what if that situation were reversed and Eaton were targeted because he opposed slavery? Or because he was black? Professionals have to look past their personal and political differences over slavery or everyone with an opinion will be on an official list of undesirables.

Gosh, I never thought of it that way. If blacks hate Klansmen, then Klansmen will hate blacks, and then where will we all be? Can't we all just get along with people who are beating the crap out of us?

Now for some real world examples.

What do you think would happen to a production assistant at Black Entertainment Television if someone found a white hood and a 7 foot burning cross in his office? Oh, I'm sorry, that's too mean of an example. Forget the Klansman. The production assistant is simply found to have donated money to an effort to overturn Loving v. Virginia and make it illegal for black men to marry our white womenfolk. I'm sure the racist's black coworkers and black audiences would embrace him in the morning for his principled stand against miscegenation. I mean, it's just his opinion.

Or how about an employee of the local Jewish Community Center. I mean, he wasn't an actual Nazi, he just thinks that Jews are money-grubbing long-nosed thieves and therefore donates his money and time to David Duke's "European American" "civil rights" group. I'm sure the anti-Semite's Jewish coworkers and Jewish community members would embrace him for his principled chutzpah.

It's time for the Los Angeles Times to own up to its own homophobia. They wouldn't dare tell blacks and Jews to stop being so mean to the bigot in their midst. But when it comes to gays and lesbians, somehow the crime is never as great, and the punishment never as deserved.

AMERICAblog News| A great nation deserves the truth
    Really LA Times? How absurd.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A homophobic person who donated to support prop h8, working for businesses like love and pride or logo is like a KKK member becoming my maid....
    Last edited by *DIVA!; December 11th, 2008 at 10:57 AM.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

omg, that's almost a sitcom!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I don't understand how someone who is homophobic could work with the very people he hates. I would assume during his tenure, he would learn his hatred is ridiculous.

On the other hand, I don't think everyone who supported prop 8 is homophobic. I don't think a fear or hatred of homosexuals was a requirement to vote yes for the issue prop 8 related to.

They're either homophobic, or just don't feel like letting gays get married because it's wrong.

It's all well and good to make money off them, but equal rights in marriage? that's just silly!

Like I stated, homophobia wasn't the only reason to vote yes on prop 8.

Making money off gays is a pointless argument. Drug dealers definitely contribute to the economy, even more, speaking in percentage of income, than law abiding citizens, since they don't have to worry about taxes. Legalize their trade, since they contribute jobs and fuel free trade.

There are reasons gays should have legally binding unions, but the money argument isn't one of them.

I was speaking of theatre bitch specifically Who else goes to see musicals?

Straight women.

yes, but they usually have their 'mo's with them who pick up the tab, cuz you KNOW the 'mo calls her up and is all "Hey gurl, you, me, Mamma Mia, and clubbing after this thursday! Squeeal!"

^ haha. I actually read that and then did the squeal at the end.

I could totally picture one of my gay guy friends, Cane, saying that.

Eli

I agree with the LA Times, but also agree that homophobic bigots should shut the fuck up.

how can you agree with their position, it's untenable. re-read the examples given.

if you're an asshole bigot and spend your money supporting bigoted things, then don't be surprised when people shun the fuck out of you and your business.

Eli

Being an asshole in general is shitty, so by agreeing with them, maybe both sides should just chill the fuck out and keep to their own.

uh yeah, i don't think the gays would be pissed if people HAD left them alone WITH THEIR RIGHTS INTACT.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Being an asshole in general is shitty, so by agreeing with them, maybe both sides should just chill the fuck out and keep to their own.
    Keep to their own? Seriously?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information