Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barack Obama to be sworn in using his full name

Thumbs up Barack Obama to be sworn in using his full name

Thank Allah. I can't wait to see those neocons squirm and faces when they say it.

Swearing in: 'Barack Hussein Obama' - Mike Allen - Politico.com

President-elect Obama says he plans to use all three of his names when he takes the oath of office in January, giving voice to a name that was used heard during the campaign except by critics.

In his first post-election newspaper interview, with reporters from the Chicago Tribune and Los Angeles Times, Obama was asked: "Do you anticipate being sworn in as Barack Obama or Barack Hussein Obama?"

He replied: "I think the tradition is that they use all three names, and I will follow the tradition, not trying to make a statement one way or the other. I'll do what everybody else does."

In fact, all presidents have not used their middle names when taking the oath of office. Jimmy Carter famously went as "Jimmy Carter." Ronald Wilson Reagan took the oath as simply "Ronald Reagan."

Harry Truman, of course, didn't have a middle name - just an initial that didn't stand for anything - and was sworn in as "Harry S. Truman." (We've gotten a lot of e-mail about the period after the 'S.' Despite the urban myth to the contrary, the Harry S. Truman Library and Museum says Truman put a period in his signature and posts a photo to prove it.)

Dwight D. Eisenhower and Gerald R. Ford took the oath using their middle initials.

The last three presidents have used their middle names: George Herbert Walker Bush, William Jefferson Clinton and George Walker Bush. So did Franklin Delano Roosevelt and John Fitzgerald Kennedy.
    Lyndon Baines Johnson, in the hasty ceremony aboard Air Force One, went nameless - prompted to say only, "I do solemnly swear."

The insertion of the name is a tradition not specified in the U.S. Constitution, which directs about the president in Article II: "Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:-'I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.'"

Obama's middle name was largely taboo during the campaign, and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) apologized it was used by Bill Cunningham, a talk-radio host who was introducing McCain at a rally in Cincinnati.

The Associated Press reported at the time, "Asked whether the use of Obama's middle name - the same as former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein - is proper, McCain said: 'No, it is not. Any comment that is disparaging of either Senator Clinton or Senator Obama is totally inappropriate.'"

Here is a transcript of Obama's interview with the two newspapers, which have a joint Washington bureau as Tribune Co.

Awesome for him. That's why I voted for him, he ain't afraid to do what he thinks (for the most part). Did you see his latest picks for his administration?

good for him, its not like its a secret. and at least his name isn't George Bush, now THAT would be a real problem
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Not his whole name!!! Horrors!
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I so wish this was not a big deal. Again, just a way to distract the masses from the real issues plaguing our country and world.

Good for him. There are lots of fine men with that name Saddam didn't own it,anyway.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    good for him, its not like its a secret. and at least his name isn't George Bush, now THAT would be a real problem

Well why wouldn't they use his full name? That's just stupid to me if people think they wouldn't.

I hope Obama is wearing a bullet-proof bee keeper's suit that day.

^Sadly, yes

That said, I wonder if people would crazy if McCain's middle name was Adolf...

No idea about McCain, but I know Palin's last name was Stalin, until she had it legally changed.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    I hope Obama is wearing a bullet-proof bee keeper's suit that day.
    I hope he's wearing one before inauguration day and every day after.

If it were that big of an issue I don't think the man would be the President Elect right now.

I swear some people will try to blow stuff way out of proportion.

i didnt realise that was his middle name, and i'll admit...im a little shocked...but good on him for using his full name. hes going to be a great president

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    If it were that big of an issue I don't think the man would be the President Elect right now.

I swear some people will try to blow stuff way out of proportion.

It isn't being blown out of proportion. Barack Obama is half black, and some people just go nuts at the site of a black person.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information