Thread: Barack Obama's national security team gets high marks

Default Barack Obama's national security team gets high marks

The national security team that President-elect Barack Obama intends to roll out Monday was widely praised on the Sunday talk shows.
    Obama is expected to name Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) secretary of state and retired Marine Gen. James Jones national security adviser and to keep Secretary of Defense Robert Gates at the Pentagon.
    Sen. Dick Lugar of Indiana, the ranking Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said that the coming Obama team is “excellent” and encouraged his Republican colleagues to work with them on ABC’s “This Week with George Stephanopoulos.”
    “I would just say, as an individual, I look forward to working with each one of them,” Lugar said. “Bipartisan support of this team really is of the essence right now.”
    Sen. Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) kept up the bipartisan tone on CNN’s “Late Edition,” saying he is “prepared to work across party lines with Democrats, definitely.”
    “I’ve demonstrated willingness to go across the aisle and work with a president of a different party, and I think it’s time to put partisanship aside,” he added.
    Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) praised Obama’s “great picks” on “Fox News Sunday” and applauded the president-elect for sticking with Gates as “someone who has seen Iraq through difficult times.” Graham pointed out, though, that Clinton has shown “a little bit [of a] harder line” on foreign policy than Obama advocated on the campaign trail.
    Appearing with Graham, Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) tried to hush concerns that Obama and Clinton will not be able to work together.
    “Obviously, Barack Obama is going to set the policy, but he will listen to different views,” McCaskill said. “He is not afraid to be challenged by people around him. He wants to be challenged.”
    Also on Fox, Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.) expressed confidence heading into Tuesday’s runoff vote against Democrat Jim Martin. “If voters turn out in the same ratios and same numbers, we’ll win again,” he said. “And we have an operation on the ground that will turn out the vote.”
    Elsewhere, the proposed bailout for Detroit automakers took precedence as lawmakers weighed whether to provide $25 billion in funds for Chrysler, Ford and General Motors.
    United Auto Workers President Ron Gettelfinger said on CNN that if Detroit is bailed out, it “will restructure to have a competitive product.”
    “We can’t afford to let these companies fail,” he said. “We’re no different than Citi, AIG or Bear Stearns, except we’ll bring a plan.”
    But Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) said he is not yet convinced the bailout would be money well spent. The Democrat said that when the car executives came to Capitol Hill, “I was not impressed by their demonstration.”
    And first lady Laura Bush stopped by NBC’s “Meet the Press” to talk about Afghanistan and her post- White House plans. Bush said she intends to remain involved in education, development and women’s issues in the war-torn country through work at the president’s planned Freedom Institute at his presidential library at Southern Methodist University in Dallas.
    The first lady seemed eager to get to work on what she calls “the afterlife” she and the president have planned in Texas, but she said she will miss White House life.
    “I’ll miss a lot of things,” she said. “But I’ll miss the people the most.”
    Obama team gets high marks
    I wonder how long some of these Republicans will be playing nice with Obama, especially Arlen Specter?

But McCaskill was right, Obama is surrounding himself with people that have strong opinions and will challenge him. Not a bunch of kiss asses. That's what a smart leader does, unlike Dubya.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I wonder how long some of these Republicans will be playing nice with Obama, especially Arlen Specter?

But McCaskill was right, Obama is surrounding himself with people that have strong opinions and will challenge him. Not a bunch of kiss asses. That's what a smart leader does, unlike Dubya.
    I dunno this for a fact, but I'll bet a lot of them are scared and pulling for Obama to straighten this mess up quick! They have seen first hand what won't work-seems like they are going to have to support him,if only so he can salvage some of their legacy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I dunno this for a fact, but I'll bet a lot of them are scared and pulling for Obama to straighten this mess up quick! They have seen first hand what won't work-seems like they are going to have to support him,if only so he can salvage some of their legacy.
    I think that's true for some of them. But I think some of the hardcore conservatives are waiting for him to be in office for a few months and then they'll try to pin this entire mess on him instead of Dubya.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I think that's true for some of them. But I think some of the hardcore conservatives are waiting for him to be in office for a few months and then they'll try to pin this entire mess on him instead of Dubya.
    Good luck! If they pull that off there is a place in Las Vegas just waiting for them!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Good luck! If they pull that off there is a place in Las Vegas just waiting for them!
    I'm sure they'll be like 'Bush who?'

But in the immortal words of Wesley Snipes from Passenger 57: 'Always bet on black!'

Thread Information