Thread: Yet another Barack Obama assassination "joke"/"free speech" sign

Default Yet another Barack Obama assassination "joke"/"free speech" sign

Uproar In Maine Over Obama Assassination Sign

By REUTERS
    Published: November 20, 2008
    Filed at 6:25 p.m. ET

BOSTON (Reuters) - Passions flared in a Maine town on Thursday over a sign in a store asking customers to place bets on an assassination of President-elect Barack Obama.

The Town Council in Standish condemned the sign on Thursday in a 6-0 vote and declared it reprehensible at a meeting where some residents defended the store owner, saying he had a right to free speech even if in bad taste, local authorities said.

"The town of Standish condemns in the strongest terms any such alleged activity calling for violence against any individual no matter their position, race or ethnicity," said the resolution posted on the town's website.

The sign in the Oak Hill General Store asked customers to place a $1 bet on the date of Obama's assassination, and said "Let's hope someone wins," the Portland Press Herald reported. It was called the "Osama Obama Shotgun Pool."

The store in the town of 9,285 people in southwest Maine has remained closed since reports of the sign appeared in the media on Sunday.
    About 80 people attended the meeting, including some who defended the store owner, said town clerk Mary Chapman.

"There were folks on both sides of the issue," Chapman said in a telephone interview. "People were passionate of their opinion but very respectful of others."

Obama's historic election victory as the nation's first black president has sparked racist incidents nationwide, according to groups that monitor hate crimes.

Obama, an Illinois senator, won the November 4 presidential contest in Maine over Republic Sen. John McCain of Arizona.

The New York Times > Log In
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

It is NOt freech speech to talk of killing a president. That, I believe, is illegal.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    It is NOt freech speech to talk of killing a president. That, I believe, is illegal.
    Exactly. Threatening ANY president is not covered by free speech.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

You both took the words out of my mouth. I'm waiting for the SS to swoop in and start rounding people up.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    You both took the words out of my mouth. I'm waiting for the SS to swoop in and start rounding people up.
    That has already started! Where do all of the twits come from?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

OMG that is horrible!

I always forget, there's racist trash in Maine too. Ugh. All the people I know there are serious old-school libs and Democrats.

Yes, this guy should get in very serious trouble. I do fear for Obama....I have to forcibly remind myself all the time how disgusting some people out there really are. I just can't take it in sometimes.
    Last edited by Kathie_Moffett; November 23rd, 2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: wordy switch
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Hit By Ban Bus!

What is wrong with people! Honestly.

I honestly do fear he will be assassinated in office, but of course people will argue he wasn't the only one getting death threats.

Silver Member

What kind of person owns that store,he or she should be arrested.

It is a tangible fear, I agree, but the fact that people are taking these threats/"predictions" so lightly and shit like this is labeled 'free speech,' the chances of it actually happening increases.

I hope people start to address stuff like this with more seriousness because failure to do so might confirm every ones worst fear.

Thread Information