Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Jones University apologizes for racist policies

Default Bob Jones University apologizes for racist policies

(I believe this policy was first started from the complaints of the parents of an asian student that was dating another race)

Bob Jones Univ. apologizes for racist policies

Bob Jones University has apologized for racist policies including a one-time ban on interracial dating that wasn't lifted until nine years ago and its unwillingness to admit black students until 1971.
    The private fundamentalist Christian school founded in 1927 in northwestern South Carolina said its rules on race were shaped by culture instead of the Bible, according to a statement posted Thursday on the university's Web site.
    The university, with about 5,000 students, didn't begin admitting black students until nearly 20 years after the U.S. Supreme Court's 1954 Brown v. Board of Education ruling found public segregated schools were unconstitutional.
    "We failed to accurately represent the Lord and to fulfill the commandment to love others as ourselves. For these failures we are profoundly sorry. Though no known antagonism toward minorities or expressions of racism on a personal level have ever been tolerated on our campus, we allowed institutional policies to remain in place that were racially hurtful," the statement said.
    The interracial dating ban was lifted in March 2000, not long after the policy became an issue in the Republican presidential primary that year. Then-candidate George W. Bush was criticized when he spoke at the school during one of his first campaign stops in the state after losing in New Hampshire.
    Bob Jones University President Stephen Jones decided to issue the apology because the school still receives questions about its views on race.
    The leader of the South Carolina NAACP said the civil rights group welcomed the statement.
    "It's unfortunate it took them this long — particularly a religious, faith-based institution — to realize that we all are human beings and the rights of all people should be respected and honored," said Lonnie Randolph, president of the state chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
    Randolph said that when Jones became president three years ago, he asked the civil rights leader not to hold the decisions made under his father and grandfather against him.
    Jones is the great-grandson of the school founder, Bob Jones. He took over for his father, also named Bob Jones, in 2005.
    ___

racist policies including a one-time ban on interracial dating that wasn't lifted until nine years ago
    just NINE years ago? omg, i am so disgusted! beyond disgusted! that is so unbelievably awful. i've heard lots of bad things about B.J. () university, but that just seriously takes the cake.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I'm stunned.

Bob Jones is notoriously racist. I still don't quite understand how they're an accredited university in this country.

Bob Jones is absolutely ridiculous... I would be ashamed to have that wackjob University on my resume

^^ITA

It screams wacko to be affiliated with them.

I remember when this happened because I lived there and worked across the street (one of my jobs) from the BJU and those people that used to come in there from there were nuts. And what I remember was that they didn't totally lift it, they said that the kids could date but they would have to call home and say "ma, I'm dating a white/black/whatever" kid, and the parents would have to give their permission.

I worked at a health food store part time that would serve beer and the BJU people got them banned from serving beer or wine in their deli. They were so obnoxious and you could literally tell which ones were from there (I mean mostly faculty that came in, not so much students) just by the way they dressed and did their hair.

They also had a policy that banned men and women from using the same sidewalks...afraid they would be tempted into having premarital sex! Most laughable college in history...if someone applied for a job in my company and had BJ on their resume, I would not even consider them...not even a little.

I do wonder what the graduates of BJ go on to do. Professional wackos? Evangelical preachers? Picking up where the Duggars left off?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

^^That's probably about right.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

This is South Carolina, a state that still flies the Confederate Flag, so I'm not shocked by anything that comes out of that state.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    This is South Carolina, a state that still flies the Confederate Flag, so I'm not shocked by anything that comes out of that state.
    Damn! Would you please give me a list of States you approve of?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Damn! Would you please give me a list of States you approve of?
    Sarah Palin and I only approve of the pro-America states.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Sarah Palin and I only approve of the pro-America states.
    New Jersy and Alaska? Is that the list? And stop hanging around with that hussy!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    New Jersy and Alaska? Is that the list? And stop hanging around with that hussy!
    Hell, I wouldn't even put Jersey or Alaska on that list. And why can't I 'pal around' with Sarah? She's not a terrorist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information