Thread: Barack Obama's cell phone records breached by Verizon employees

Thumbs down Barack Obama's cell phone records breached by Verizon employees

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Records from a cell phone used by President-elect Obama were improperly breached, apparently by employees of the cell phone company, Verizon Wireless said Thursday.
    "This week we learned that a number of Verizon Wireless employees have, without authorization, accessed and viewed President-Elect Barack Obama's personal cell phone account," Lowell McAdam, Verizon Wireless president and CEO, said in a statement.
    "All employees who have accessed the account -- whether authorized or not --- have been put on immediate leave, with pay."
    The Obama transition team was notified Wednesday by Verizon of the breach, said team spokesman Robert Gibbs. He said the president-elect no longer uses the phone.
    McAdam said the device on the account was a simple voice flip-phone, not a BlackBerry or other smartphone designed for e-mail or other data services, so none of Obama's e-mail could have been accessed.
    Verizon Wireless, meanwhile, has launched an internal probe to determine whether Obama's information was simply shared among employees or whether "the information of our customer had in any way been compromised outside our company, and this investigation continues," McAdam said in an internal company e-mail obtained by CNN.
    "Employees with legitimate business needs for access will be returned to their positions, while employees who have accessed the account improperly and without legitimate business justification will face appropriate disciplinary action," McAdam said, "up to and including termination."
    The company has alerted "the appropriate federal law enforcement authorities," McAdam said.
    Gibbs said that while the Secret Service has been notified, he is not aware of any criminal investigation. He said he believes it was billing records that were accessed.
    Gibbs said that anyone viewing the records likely would have been able to see phone numbers and the frequency of calls Obama made, but that "nobody was monitoring voicemail or anything like that."
    Obama's cell phone records breached
    I see an audit by the IRS in Verizon's future.

Elite Member

If they ever get into financial trouble, they shouldn't expect to get bailed out.

Obama has to get used to not using a cell phone anyway, because it can easily be lost or stolen, or even used as evidence in case of an investigation.

He's addicted to his Blackberry, too. But everybody already told him that he's going to have to give it up. They were going to try to rig it so he could get e-mails, not send them, but I think this incident probably squashed that.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Wow that's really funny in a way. How crazy whoever screwed up is so fired.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Yeah, but it's leave WITH pay. Fire those mofos and don't give them any pay.

More reasons why Verizon sucks ass!

I still think Barack Obama is the antichrist but then again, I said the same thing about Arnold when he got into politics. I really should stop reading revelations while smoking crack..
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Quote Originally Posted by JuicyLucy View Post
    I still think Barack Obama is the antichrist but then again, I said the same thing about Arnold when he got into politics. I really should stop reading revelations while smoking crack..
    Switch to pot. It's a kinder, gentler drug.

WTH? Why weren't they fired? They should be fired for hacking into anyone's account. Also, how is leave with pay punishment? I never understood that. It's like a paid vacation or getting suspended from school.*shrugs*

Hopefully they are just sorting out who is authorized and who isn't authorized so they can fire (I guess) the people that weren't supposed to be on there. I'm not sure whether this means text messages and numbers or whether they listened in on calls, which I know the govt. does apparently. Creepy.

^Looks like they were fired...

Verizon Wireless has fired employees connected with a breach of records from a cell phone used earlier this year by President-elect Barack Obama, a Verizon source told CNN Friday.

The source would not say how many people were terminated, but said that "we now consider this matter closed."

Verizon reported the breach Thursday, and Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs said the transition team had been notified Wednesday. Gibbs said the president-elect no longer uses that phone, which has been inactive for months.

The fired employees were hired "to take care of customers," the Verizon source told CNN, and were not authorized to access customer records unless asked to do so by the customer.
    The source also said the employees in question could not have read text messages, if Obama sent or received them, and would not have been able to access the content of any voicemail messages, although they would have been able to see if any had been left.

"This was some employees' idle curiosity," the source said, adding that records of no other customers of note were breached.

Ari Schwartz of the Center for Democracy and Technology said the employees likely had access to the dates and times of calls, the length of calls and the telephone numbers of those Obama spoke with.

Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam said Thursday that the company initially put on leave all employees who had access to the account — "whether authorized or not" — during an investigation.

McAdam said the device on the account was a simple voice flip-phone — not a BlackBerry or other smartphone designed for e-mail or other data services — meaning none of Obama's e-mail could have been accessed.
    Verizon Wireless, meanwhile, has launched an internal probe to determine if Obama's information was shared only among employees or whether "the information of our customer had in any way been compromised outside our company, and this investigation continues," McAdam said in an internal company e-mail obtained by CNN.

The company has alerted "the appropriate federal law enforcement authorities," McAdam said.

Wow that's scary.

Thread Information